True Detective

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Again, no evidence someone was there recently.
So, he breaks in, gun drawn, sees the kitchen (I think it was) is clear, then comes to the murder scene, sees it's not recent, and sighs in relief and puts his weapon away? As if a murder scene is proof nobody is there, or would have any reason to be there, because it's not a recent murder scene. Well, I mean it IS a recent murder scene... but, nobody is being killed right now, so phew, I can put my weapon away and keep the music on so I won't hear if anyone followed me in, particularly the actual murderer who is still at large, at the crime scene that is what, days old?

Just seemed off, to me. It seemed like the only reason he did that is because he needed to be shot for the cliffhanger at the end of the episode, and him being cautious, keeping his weapon out and being at the ready would cause a wrinkle in the plot-corner they were painting the character into.

khalid

Unelected Mod
That doesn't mean the show is above criticism right now, and that the people bitching and whining and crying about that criticism don't prove time and again they aren't equipped with understanding the product beyond "fuck you, I like watching tv!!!"
No one thinks the show is above criticism. However, comparing it to vanguard or something is absurd. Your level of butthurt on this show is crazy.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
aVlZeIh.jpg

Also True Detective season 2 shares interesting stuff with James Ellroy'sThe Big Nowhere(characters, plot and setup). I wouldn't call it plagiarism though.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Haha, popsicle going hard up in here.

I like it so far. Robot dick and holstering his gun are cringe worthy indeed but I have no problem suspending disbelief and just enjoying the story and interactions. I enjoyed the monologue and McAdams/Farrel car ride. Also, lol at her perturbed look towards the vaginal looking geo crystal in that office scene.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I wish one of you saying you don't understand the criticisms of the show would actually explain or refute those criticisms. And no, sorry, crying about people comparing it to season 1, promising it's only been [insert episode] so it has time to get better, or saying the thread sucks, isn't exactly engaging the content we're seeing in the show.

Someone, anyone, who doesn't have any issues or complaints with the writing please explain why a dirty cop sent to a house of a murder victim by the crime lord boss that has him by the nuts holsters his weapon on the first site of a puddle of fucking blood. Please, for fuck sake, if you have no complaints with the show explain to the rest of us idiots how that made any sense or was quality television?
Apparently people don't remember how fucking slow season 1 started as. Episodes 2ish to 4ish were a fucking crawl. A couple people were complaining about it until the second half of the season.
As for this season and why it feels off I think its intentional. I think VV is doing great as a smaller time guy trying to go big time and the troubles he is having with that. I think he has been comfortably doing business for a while and is having some trouble getting back into the swing if breaking legs and cracking skulls.

I also would not be surprised if the dialog and characters are supposed to be a bit off putting, almost like their corruption is making them somewhat repellent to some folks. I am loving this season.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I liked season 1 but it isnt some fucking masterpiece like some of you guy are making it out to be holy fuck. people also had Daddarios tits hold up the second episode
Daddario's tits held the economy up by propelling Kleenex stocks and lumber futures for months.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah season one was slow as hell nothing happened really until the oneshot scene in thr hood. It was walking around talking to pastord or dealing with woodys family life. Only thing that made it interesting was all the theories put out there. Now thatpeople know his writing and the story is more direct people dont like it or the were never going to like it without MM

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah season one was slow as hell nothing happened really until the oneshot scene in thr hood. It was walking around talking to pastord or dealing with woodys family life. Only thing that made it interesting was all the theories put out there. Now thatpeople know his writing and the story is more direct people dont like it or the were never going to like it without MM
They whyd you kept watching u fuckin retard lol!!! amirite

Xevy

Log Wizard
Didn't read every post from the last 4 pages. Did some one mention Taylor Kitsch being totally gay yet?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
They whyd you kept watching u fuckin retard lol!!! amirite
So "it's only been X episodes" is a worthy argument for the first season but not this season? I don't think this season has started as great as last season but c'mon. You're just hipster hatin' now.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
So "it's only been X episodes" is a worthy argument for the first season but not this season? I don't think this season has started as great as last season but c'mon. You're just hipster hatin' now.
Yeah, you're probably right. It would be inappropriate and ignorant to respond to someone's criticism or perspective on a show by simply saying they should stop watching said show.

edit: You also make a point that I do sorta hate the hipsters that caught on to Season 1 late and are bound and determined to love this season no matter what, and of course hipsters think anything they like has to be good, and if you ask them to explain they just say you just aren't cool enough or smart enough to understand. That kind of hipster shit annoys us all, I'm sure. That's why I always at least try to explain why I think something is dog shit, and precisely how.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm enjoying it.

Season 1 started really slow, to the point that I've had trouble getting other people into it. Once people hit the episode with the scene in the projects though, it's GG.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I haven't been super thrilled about season 2 so far.

I feel they tried to make Colin a Rust 2.0 and they are failing at it, badly. That robot dick line is like all of these scenes ....

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Whole lot of rustle in this thread. It's a different season, a different story, a different dynamic with 4 characters. There's been plenty of back story to what is going on, and we're just starting to see the effects. I actually liked VV's scenes and think we're going to see that slow burn to him exploding and overreaching at some point. I think there are ways he could be playing the role differently that would make it seem "better" or more interesting to us right now, but I get the impression he's getting the role right for what it's setting up to turn into over the course of the show.

I do think it's a little weird he didn't clear the house, but then again you walk into this side property after finding no evidence of the original murder at his main pad, and you see the old blood pool with the radio still on a couple days later, no reason to assume the killer would hang out that long, right? To me the main question is was the killer/killer's faction watching the property or do they have some contact/s on the inside that tipped them to them discovering the property? Clearly VV thinks he's being sent a message/was swindled out of his "life's work".

Also did Rust say a line like "we got the world we deserved" in S1 like Velcoro did last night? It felt like deja vu but not sure if MM said the exact same line as Rust or not.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I rather like the story and corruption angle. Which is why I find myself wishing they'd actually get on with it. So many 'establish the character' scenes I feel I know them less than if I'd just get to see them interacting in the story going forward, instead of what we're getting which feels like a lot of pre-story.

Had totally forgotten about the VV scene under the overpass. WTF was that scene? The crazy thing is in a vacuum it was one of his best scenes, and at first I thought it had to have meaning and be some kind of setup, but I can't find any real proof it wasn't just a completely random scene. I mean, we had Russians roughing up some businessman looking dude, and VV rushes in with what seemed like vague threats... and then nothing? More of that version of VV would be better, though, as he was a bit cocky and sarcastic, kinda funny but still on the verge of ruthlessness.

I'm pretty sure the big, hairy drunk detective (Dan from Deadwood) who simply asked to be excused from work is the true detective and the one gonna end up being the quiet hero that solves the entire thing from every angle. He's been there, in the background, Watsoning the shit out of the case!