True Detective

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Watched both episodes. It's dour, but fine so far. I'm looking forward to the next one.

I feel like most of the criticisms are from people who haven't gone back and watched the first season since it originally aired.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Watched both episodes. It's dour, but fine so far. I'm looking forward to the next one.

I feel like most of the criticisms are from people who haven't gone back and watched the first season since it originally aired.
this is the description off wikipedia.
seasons 1 episode 1
Vermilion Parish, Louisiana, January 3, 1995. State homicide detectives Martin Hart (Woody Harrelson) and Rustin Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) investigate the ritualistic murder of prostitute Dora Lange. She is wearing deer antlers surrounded by symbolic imagery and objects, including twig latticeworks resembling Cajun bird traps. Hart and Cohle focus on a five-year-old missing-persons case, a little girl named Marie Fontenot. Around the same time another child claimed to have been chased through the woods by a "green-eared spaghetti monster." Hart invites Cohle to dinner at Hart's wife's insistence, but Hart is infuriated when Cohle turns up drunk. While following up on the Fontenot disappearance, they discover another twig latticework like those found at the scene of the Lange murder.
In 2012, Hart and Cohle are interviewed separately about the Lange case by detectives Thomas Papania (Tory Kittles) and Maynard Gilbough (Michael Potts). Hart and Cohle have not spoken since a falling-out in 2002. A recent murder victim was found posed similarly to Lange, suggesting that the killer may still be at large despite Hart and Cohle's claim to have gotten him in 1995.
season1 episode 2

In 1995, Cohle deduces that Hart is cheating on his wife Maggie (Michelle Monaghan), creating friction between the detectives. Meanwhile, Cohle is experiencing visual hallucinations due to years of drug use. Reverend Billy Lee Tuttle (Jay O. Sanders), a celebrated evangelist and cousin of the governor, advocates a police task force focusing on "anti-Christian crimes," including the Lange murder. Hart and Cohle's investigation leads to a remote "ranch" harboring runaway girls who work there as prostitutes. There they find Lange's diary, which contains repeated references to "Carcosa" and a "Yellow King". In the wreckage of a burnt-out church Lange attended, they find a wall painting depicting a human figure wearing deer antlers.
In 2012, Cohle reflects on his daughter's death in a car accident, which led to the collapse of his marriage, the beginning of his drug habit, and four years as an undercover narcotics investigator. That ended with a lethal gunfight, after which he was hospitalized in a psychiatric institution. After his release, Cohle requested a job in homicide and was partnered with Hart. Hart is now divorced.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>

Nah, it is still okay but there are some legitimate concerns that it is resting on its laurels and made some lazy and questionable choices.

Like I said the story is still good just some of the dialogue and cinematography is odd and distracting.

They want to copy season 1 without actually copying it. They should have gone the American Horror Story route and used the same exact actors and put them into different roles.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Also did Rust say a line like "we got the world we deserved" in S1 like Velcoro did last night? It felt like deja vu but not sure if MM said the exact same line as Rust or not.
I don't think he said that exact line but he did say several things that would fall within that same line of thought. The closest thing I can recall offhand was him saying that the world is just one big gutter in space while he was going back and forth with Marty over the societal merit of religion.

One thing I agree with popsicle on is Velcoro holstering his gun. That scene would have been easy enough to shoot and end up at the exact same place if he'd kept it out just by having Birdman get enough of a drop on him that he shot before Ray could respond once he realized the guy was there and get off a clean enough shot himself. Easy without the cheesy.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I don't know that Velcoro's holstering of his gun was so crazy. Some people are saying he should have been on guard because VV sent him there but who is more invested in wanting Velcoro to succeed in finding Caspere's murder than VV? I think after eight years or whatever of being VV's lapdog he's not suddenly going to give him a double shotgun to the chest as a first warning and think it would be productive. Not sure how much time has passed since the killing and him walking in that house but it's at least a couple days. How often do murderers stay watch on the murder scene? Sure, he got a little too engrossed in what he was seeing but it's not like he's had to do ace cop work since he got to Venci. And even if he had his gun out the birdman still had the drop on him (which goes back to him being rusty at doing actual police work). Of all the things to bitch about, I think that's about the least egregious. More likely, it might be VV's #2 guy since I doubt any of the club people will end up mattering.

Overall, this was an improvement from the first episode in my book. The dialogue still felt a little too forced or poorly timed but I was definitely more invested in this episode. VV's monologue could have been a lot better if it focused on the childhood story but its existential bent got a little silly. Still waiting for Taylor Kitsch's character to interest me; he feels like the odd man out so far. I don't know that I care if he's a repressed homosexual.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Still waiting for Taylor Kitsch's character to interest me; he feels like the odd man out so far. I don't know that I care if he's a repressed homosexual.
Well there's the whole Black Mountain Security thing and "what happened in the desert" that he doesn't talk about, which I assume is over in Iraq or Afghanistan. Something shadey obviously went down when he was a merc and it's still hanging over his head because his CHiP commander mentioned it as well. That will probably come to light at some point.

And his relationship Mama Herpes-lip was kinda ick. Having a mother who's a Vegas club whore that rubs here tits on you like she'll throw ya a piece if you wanna little incest has gotta put some negative associations in a kid's head with regards to women.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They never really went into Rusts history, always hinted shit about his past and father but never went anywhere from what I remember. Probably doing the same with mcadams and klitch

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
i think the way we are discussing this show is evidence that there isnt anything really interesting so far to discuss. if fanbois are getting mad that we're comparing this to season 1 they must also realize this season is slower paced and muddled. i mean by episode 2 of season 1 we had some great atmosphere going on, a serial killer(s), a bunch of weird mystical stuff indicating there was some southern hoodoo going down and two fantastic actors playing off each other.

what do we have so far? a few burned out cops, a lame gangster and a weird closet fag involved in a case about some perv getting dickshot who owed some money to the gangster. the end of this week would have gone a long way in changing that, but they fucked it up because the guy is somehow fine after getting blasted with a shotgun point blank. his innards should all be goo.
At the end of True Detective season 1 episode 2 "Seeing things" we get a fucking classic line from Rust when they find the church they were looking for.
"Yeah, back then, the visions, yeah most of the time I was convinced... Shit... I'd lost it. But there were other times... I thought I was mainlining the secret truth of the universe."
That type of narrative exposition is painfully absent so far this season.
We would've had an equally great ending to episode 2 this year had Velcoro actually died, but instead we get a cheesy soap opera type ending where he's not really dead because a sociopath who used acid to burn out a man's eyes and then blew his dick off decided to use less lethal against a cop or he'll somehow miraculously wind up surviving two shot gun blasts at point blank range (no fucking way possible). I also think they're really dropping the ball on McAdams character. She seems like she could be way more interesting if they gave her better lines and didn't make it look like she's on 10 Xanax while on camera.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
At the end of True Detective season 1 episode 2 "Seeing things" we get a fucking classic line from Rust when they find the church they were looking for.
"Yeah, back then, the visions, yeah most of the time I was convinced... Shit... I'd lost it. But there were other times... I thought I was mainlining the secret truth of the universe."
That type of narrative exposition is painfully absent so far this season.
We would've had an equally great ending to episode 2 this year had Velcoro actually died, but instead we get a cheesy soap opera type ending where he's not really dead because a sociopath who used acid to burn out a man's eyes and then blew his dick off decided to use less lethal against a cop or he'll somehow miraculously wind up surviving two shot gun blasts at point blank range (no fucking way possible). I also think they're really dropping the ball on McAdams character. She seems like she could be way more interesting if they gave her better lines and didn't make it look like she's on 10 Xanax while on camera.
speaking of the shotgun, during the autopsy the ME said specifically that the killer was using a special extra powerful load to blow caspere's entire groin area to bits. of course this may not be "the killer" who did the deed, it may be some other guy and he was more tenderhearted so he used some kind of nerf shotgun to put velcoro down. if indiana jones can survive a nuclear blast by hiding inside an old fridge then anything is possible, but i think its bloody unlikely. that dude should be dead when shot at such a range no matter whether he was wearing a bulletproof vest. since this is TV and apparently they decided to consult the tv/movie tropes handbook, velcoro will definitely be wearing his plot armor plated vest and will get off with at worst some cracked ribs which will be forgotten about not long after.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I feel like there was a spoiler picture on the last page and I'm kind of rustled about it.

Also this thread is absolute shit and needs to be put down.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Klitch gives me a Copland vibe. Like he's gonna flip a switch and channel Stallone, cleaning house merc style at some point towards the end of this.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I feel like there was a spoiler picture on the last page and I'm kind of rustled about it.

Also this thread is absolute shit and needs to be put down.
I put that into a spoiler tag.

Despite what a_skeleton_03 is crying about, please use spoiler tags for posting unaired pics or info.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Some people will stretch and reach at anything when it comes to this show...

It's a goddamn phenomenon.
This thread is a lot more readable if you skip all the astrocreep and popsicle posts.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I put that into a spoiler tag.

Despite what a_skeleton_03 is crying about, please use spoiler tags for posting unaired pics or info.
We need a +1 widget to show approval for individual posts like this.

Not bitching but sure you put the picture into a spoiler tag but there are probably 20 posts also talking about it. There just isn't that level of spoiler respect in most TV threads.