True Detective

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Season 2 was complete horse shit and the reason Stevie Wonder went blind. Have to erase it and move on

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
While they certainly could have done that, it would only have been at the service of a minority of viewers who were theory-crafting Lovecraftian mumbo jumbo on forums. The people I know who watched the show independent of the weekly autism brigade didn't think it was some supernatural mystery thriller, but rather a story about how people are flawed to various degrees and the precise theme throughout was that it isn't some unrelatable supernatural force perpetrating evil in the world, but people demonstrating that capacity.

Perhaps they nailed the supernatural, mystical mood a bit too well, though, and became a victim of that success in a way. And maybe if they realized they did it so well and could have pulled it off in the end they would have tried to make the show into what some viewers were trying to imagine it to be, and maybe it would have been more enjoyable for some people that way, but the actual show wasn't really that crazy with supernatural outside of them building that feeling at the service of the theme that people want to think evil is some unrelatable, distant thing perpetrated by monsters that aren't even human, instead of all of us having varying levels of evil we contend with and hope to overcome to counter the even greater evils of others people.

Rewatching the show knowing a big supernatural twist isn't coming arguably makes the show better, as it becomes more relatable as a human story that was at times lost in the supernatural obsession many of us experienced in over analyzing the show the first time.

There was just no other direction to go at that point if we're talking about cost-effective changes.

Humanizing the villain brought nothing to the series at that point, 7 episodes in. I wasn't involved in the forums at all like DickTrickle during season 1, and it was still pretty jarring as a casual viewer who wasn't sperging on the forums re: lovecraftian this n that.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
There was just no other direction to go at that point if we're talking about cost-effective changes.

Humanizing the villain brought nothing to the series at that point, 7 episodes in. I wasn't involved in the forums at all like DickTrickle during season 1, and it was still pretty jarring as a casual viewer who wasn't sperging on the forums re: lovecraftian this n that.

Huh? Why are you referencing me?

I feel like I didn't say much during season one but I could be wrong.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The credit for the epic season 1 goes to Cary Fukunaga and the blame for the shit show of season 2 is squarely on Pizzalotsa.

Prove me wrong.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The credit for the epic season 1 goes to Cary Fukunaga and the blame for the shit show of season 2 is squarely on Pizzalotsa.

Prove me wrong.
Yeah, having watched some other stuff from Fukunaga, I'm agreeing that he was the talent on season 1(besides the cast).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider

Prove me wrong.

I think the show Maniac proves you right.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
season 2 was all pizzaboy, he got mad at fukunaga and they parted ways.
Cary Fukunaga on the ‘Ridiculous’ Reason He Exited ‘It’ and Fighting Nic Pizzolatto to Keep That ‘True Detective’ Long Take
Cary Fukunaga is aware he has a reputation for being difficult on set, but he dispels that rumor in a new profile published by GQ magazine. The filmmaker became a breakthrough talent after his work helming the first season of HBO’s anthology series “True Detective,” which won him an Emmy for directing, but the production of the show was filled with tension between Fukunaga and showrunner Nic Pizzolatto. Fukunaga revealed to GQ one point of contention was the tracking shot from the show’s fourth episode.

“Nic wanted to cut it up in post-production,” Fukunaga said of the nearly six-minute unbroken take, which follows Matthew McConaughey’s detective through a bloody robbery. “He did not like that I was pushing for that one at all.”

Fukunaga argued that the show could use a visual shake-up like a one take after several episodes full of talking and philosophizing. “I mean, there’s nothing really that inventive about [‘True Detective’],” the director said. “It’s just another crime drama.” For this reason, Fukunaga wanted to do “something fun” and fought hard for Pizzolatto to keep the shot as a one take. When the episode aired, the long take was universally acclaimed and singlehandedly elevated Fukynaga’s profile.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That 6 minute, unbroken shot was the most masterful piece of TV and filming in recent years.

If pizza boy saw it and wanted to cut it, then my friends, we have a confirmed retard.

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Prove me wrong.

Nik got into heavy fights with Fukunaga in Season 1.

Nearly threatened the entire series. They only worked it out because they had no choice.

• 3Like

elidib

Vyemm Raider
They hardly ever show the entire series to critics, only the first few.

While Ali is a great actor, I'm more worried about the script and the story, which will only come together in the final few episodes. Cautiously optimistic.

• 3Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They hardly ever show the entire series to critics, only the first few.

While Ali is a great actor, I'm more worried about the script and the story, which will only come together in the final few episodes. Cautiously optimistic.

My main concern is that Saulnier only did 2 episodes and dipped. The reviews seem to give him a lot of credit for those episodes, then state the next 3 did an okay job of not losing what he was doing. Just wonder if that will hold up through the finish with a decent ending.

• 3Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Going back and rewatching season 1 in prep for this - damn it was good tv. Really looking forward to the new season

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
Season 1...that episode with bikers and the chase through those townhomes? That was when shit got real. Such a great episode.

• 2Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Watching through season 1 for like the 8th time. It's funny how the terrible written dialogue is masked by amazing actor performances and casting. Rust is one of my all time favorite t.v. characters, but just picture VV saying some of those lines and I dare you not to cringe. Conversely, picture MM giving the "blue balls of the heart" spiel or Daddario talking about "loving big cocks". It wouldn't make up for the subpar story but it would be a great deal better than what we got.

Long story short, season 1 was lightning in a bottle and it would take a miracle for season 3 to not be as bad or worse as 2.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Long story short, season 1 was lightning in a bottle and it would take a miracle for season 3 to not be as bad or worse as 2.

S1 might have set an unreachable high bar...but I don't think it would take TOO much to hop over the low bar that S2 set.

• 3Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
S1 might have set an unreachable high bar...but I don't think it would take TOO much to hop over the low bar that S2 set.

Yeah that's true, maybe I misspoke. I doubt it will be worse, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it was.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The creative changes on S3 are various. Multiple creative disagreements and all-out blowouts happened. Some people left the project over it.

We'll see if they left because Nik was right, or if he was wrong.

• 2Like