True Detective

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lol well said.

A TV show about Velcoro would have been sufficient. His all night cocaine bender was one of the most gripping scenes I've ever seen. Just complete melt down on screen, was fantastic.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Trailer looks very good... outside of the love story angle. That portion of it though... I'd be surprised if it doesn't really drag the show down based on what they showed in the trailer.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Trailer looks very good... outside of the love story angle. That portion of it though... I'd be surprised if it doesn't really drag the show down based on what they showed in the trailer.
omg, whats gonna happen? lonely detective that never sees his wife cuz of long hours and being distant cuz he sees heads with no faces is slowly enamored by younger hotter reporter chick? wow so edgy.

• 2Worf
  • 2Picard
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I thought all the actors did well in Season 2. Emo gay terminator was the worst of the bunch but still decent enough. The writing and dialogue is what murdered it. Like everyone else I went and watched the bully dad beating clip after Jozu mentioned Velcoro and in the middle of the clip, Velcro says some shit about kids not wanting to be astranauts today. I was jarringly out of place and lead nowhere. 90% of the dialogue was like that. No hopes for season 3.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Kelly Reilly is hot as fuck from season 2 (redhead, Vince's wife), for some reason she looked like shit and acted like a stupid cow all the time in True Detective.

She's done alot of stuff here in the UK but probably isn't so well known in the States.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
This is my favorite show of all time from watching-people-who-watch-the-show meta standpoint.

Season one was a blast watching people obsess over every detail in background children paintings and anything yellow or gold, but it was good enough to support that level of scrutiny even if it created a bit of a letdown by the ending because people had built things up to be something more than the story was ever was going to be. Upon rewatching season 1, it's still good, maybe even great, even without the Derptectives analyzing everything every week and knowing what happens, or maybe especially without the hyper-examination and crazy theories.

Then the show gets so many accolades and becomes the kind of popular the sort of people who want to be part of such a phenomenon come out of the woodwork to get on the bandwagon in their typical, overly-energized fuck-yeah fashion (think The Wire but with far more access and hype white the show is actually on the air so these fantards were actually watching the show for a change).

These kinds of bandwagon fans are idiots, though, so when season 2 starts they're too dumb to realize it's shit. And they don't want to not be the cool guy watching the cool show, though, but don't understand why it's getting so lonely on their newfound bandwagon so keep saying it'll get better and it wasn't that bad and at least Velcro was one of the best characters ever obviously right guys right right especially that cocaine montage because montages are awesome! No, son, the only thing good about season 2 was watching you desperately try to be hip and pretend the show was living up to your own hype.

Now, leading into season 3, never before has a show so alienated and energized and generally slammed together such a dichotomy of fans. Most likely it'll be very average and nobody will like it all that much, and the hype and excitement will be gone so nobody will care to defend it like they're defending their own relevance. But there is hope! If the showrunner Pizzalatte is smart he'll throw in a bunch of social justice bullshit about the racisms and wymyn that is so absurd and out of place that it'll get a new throng of fantards to laugh at and the real show outside the show can continue.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Picard

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Kelly Reilly is hot as fuck from season 2 (redhead, Vince's wife), for some reason she looked like shit and acted like a stupid cow all the time in True Detective.

She's done alot of stuff here in the UK but probably isn't so well known in the States.
she was in yellowstone.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Velcoro was a great character regardless of any ultra high brow criticism.

Fuck off.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My hope for this season and in that trailer basically rests with Mahershala Ali being a beast actor. Also low key want to see how Stephen Dorff does in his role.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I suspect Season 3 will give us all blue balls in our hearts.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That said, Season 3 had serious production problems and major fights with creative/ directors. Some even being kicked off the project because Pizza boy got too upset that someone had a better idea than him.

It's on track for a bomb. I'm sensing boring with nothing innovative. This time its all on Nik Pizza's shoulders. He takes the heat if this season ends up sucking. He wanted full responsibility.

I'll call it now. The characters of Season 3 will be LESS INTERESTING than Season 2. There won't be any popsickledeath meme-fan discussion. its going to be boring, and its going to be formulaic. FX network quality-- a cut above CBS, but still not quite HBO.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Picard

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
The central mystery in season 2 was boring. Season 1 had so much build up to who the mysterious killer was & the mythology surrounding the crimes. The final episode didn't quite live up to it all, but what could have?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The central mystery in season 2 was boring. Season 1 had so much build up to who the mysterious killer was & the mythology surrounding the crimes. The final episode didn't quite live up to it all, but what could have?

Had everything to do with the way the finale of Season 1 was shot.

They could have erred more toward the supernatural simply by cutting out character building scenes for him.

Remove the stereotypical bubba backstory. The scene where hes fucking and diddling his aunt. Rework his dialogue if he's going to talk.

I'm usually at a loss for how to fix shitty endings or endings that didn't quite live up to the hype, but in this case its VERY simple. Don't humanize the villain and keep the viewers distant on exactly what he's about. The inbred bubba thing absolutely killed it. They really did try to keep it on the edge of supernatural but there were just too many human interactions with him.

Don't even need to add anything. Just cut cut cut.

• 1Picard
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Had everything to do with the way the finale of Season 1 was shot.

They could have erred more toward the supernatural simply by cutting out character building scenes for him.

Remove the stereotypical bubba backstory. The scene where hes fucking and diddling his aunt. Rework his dialogue if he's going to talk.

I'm usually at a loss for how to fix shitty endings or endings that didn't quite live up to the hype, but in this case its VERY simple. Don't humanize the villain and keep the viewers distant on exactly what he's about. The inbred bubba thing absolutely killed it. They really did try to keep it on the edge of supernatural but there were just too many human interactions with him.

Don't even need to add anything. Just cut cut cut.

While they certainly could have done that, it would only have been at the service of a minority of viewers who were theory-crafting Lovecraftian mumbo jumbo on forums. The people I know who watched the show independent of the weekly autism brigade didn't think it was some supernatural mystery thriller, but rather a story about how people are flawed to various degrees and the precise theme throughout was that it isn't some unrelatable supernatural force perpetrating evil in the world, but people demonstrating that capacity.

Perhaps they nailed the supernatural, mystical mood a bit too well, though, and became a victim of that success in a way. And maybe if they realized they did it so well and could have pulled it off in the end they would have tried to make the show into what some viewers were trying to imagine it to be, and maybe it would have been more enjoyable for some people that way, but the actual show wasn't really that crazy with supernatural outside of them building that feeling at the service of the theme that people want to think evil is some unrelatable, distant thing perpetrated by monsters that aren't even human, instead of all of us having varying levels of evil we contend with and hope to overcome to counter the even greater evils of others people.

Rewatching the show knowing a big supernatural twist isn't coming arguably makes the show better, as it becomes more relatable as a human story that was at times lost in the supernatural obsession many of us experienced in over analyzing the show the first time.

• 3Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The people I know who watched the show independent of the weekly autism brigade didn't think it was some supernatural mystery thriller, but rather a story about how people are flawed to various degrees and the precise theme throughout was that it isn't some unrelatable supernatural force perpetrating evil in the world, but people demonstrating that capacity.

Ok, Szlia.

• 1EyeRoll