True Detective

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not having watched any of S3, I think S1 was just one of those perfect storms, never to be repeated. The setting, the actors plus the story masked with a whole bunch of hoodo type louisiana shit all culminated in a must watch series never to be repeated again.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is a great start for such a maligned show.

I thought the acting and direction were great. The setting is good, the pacing is pretty good even with the timeline switches. I think this shows early use of liquid timelines revolving around a singular plot point has been refreshing in a way that does not detract from the story/show, but ENHANCES it.

There are very few circumstances where you watch a movie that jumps throughout the timeline and say "wow that was interesting! I wish they would have done that MORE!". Usually you are like wow, great movie/show but the timeline jumps were a bit confusing at times all the way to wow that show was awful because it was confusing as fuck. But this has been done in a way where it kind of makes sense, given the main characters questionable perception/memory as well as the way the case seems to be unfolding, with multiple complex elements unfolding over a long period of time (the girl aspect of the case etc.)

If anything, this kind of shows the viewer what can be accomplished if timeline jumps are executed correctly. It opens up a multitude of different plot devices/screenplay choices by un-restricting the reigns creatively, freeing up the bottleneck of the viewer chronologically following whatever bread crumbs a normal show runner lays out for them. With this format, they are able to free themselves of HAVING to use red herrings, or shove certain elements down the viewers throat in order for them to universally follow what is happening (concerning an important development, such as a betrayal/death etc). Now they can set up something interesting in a way that lets them not be limited by a certain set of chronological events or preconcieved notions of what the viewers believes is going to happen.

TLDR: it gives Pizalatto more ways to mindfuck the audience for the most salient effect. Not only that, but if you really take a deep dive, it is even more interesting. It allows the viewer to see sides of a character that could only be theorized about or dreamed of. Think of how fucking awesome it would be to see some of your favorite TV show characters when they were in their formative years, or when they were old and grey, it sets up fascinating angles that are otherwise impossible to explore.

Think about Wayne's wife and how much we have learned about her character in just TWO episodes. Some shows dont provide that amount of character development in an entire fucking season. But in the first 2 episodes, the timeline jumps made it possible for the viewer to see her through multiple different lenses and perspectives, fleshing out her character and bringing additional weight to the circumstances she finds herself in. They have done a fantastic job.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My, that sounds very interesting. I'm glad to see this maligned show is finally getting good. Sucks it didn't happen in season 2 as we were all hoping, but hey, if the acting is as great as Colin Farrell in season 2, and I think we can all agree he was great, then maybe this show is finally worth watching in season 3 after being so maligned. I'm also very interested in the freshness of liquid timelines revolving around a singular plot point. I swear I've seen that before, but can't quite place it. But, yeah, I really feel like we need more shows that jump throughout the timeline in a way that kind of makes sense, you know, especially with the multiple complex elements unfolding and the main character's questionable perception/memory. I mean, just imagine being able to do away with the bottleneck of chronologically following a story, not to mention all the character development you can show, like the characters in the future. And in the past. I'm definitely going to start watching if the show is truly shaping up to be such a salient deep diving mindfuck, but man I wish they'd started doing this in Season 2 instead of waiting to do it now in season 3.

• 3Worf
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Jozu

That's what is fucking me up, and makes me slightly angry at Jayrebbs shortsighted take.

It is Pizalattos work.

Yea season 2 was...shaky. the exit of Cori F. and his people led to this tribalistic approach to the shows following.

I get it. But Nick deserves credit here, as does HBO for sticking with him and this franchise. They obviously believed in him and his vision concerning this season. So far it looks like his Coupe de Grace.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You would describe season 2 as, 'shaky'?

giphy.gif

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Salty

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think the terribleness of season 2 has gotten exaggerated. Was it disappointing compared to S1? Yes. Was it like season 8 of Dexter bad? Not even close.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Eh... it was pretty close. The only reason it isn't considered universally as bad as something like Dexter Season 8 is because Ray Velcoro saved it from being that bad.

I was one of the people giving it some credit from week to week until that Blue Balls of the Heart shit... then I was fully on board with everyone who was trashing the fuck out of it the entire season.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Eh... it was pretty close. The only reason it isn't considered universally as bad as something like Dexter Season 8 is because Ray Velcoro saved it from being that bad.

I was one of the people giving it some credit from week to week until that Blue Balls of the Heart shit... then I was fully on board with everyone who was trashing the fuck out of it the entire season.

I definitely was trying to give it some credit, until it got terribad. My main issue was that some of the complaints were on a level that was even dumber than how bad the show actually was. Crying about why the cops would be waiting for Ray at his kid's school (the most obvious place they would have been waiting) was delving down a rabbit hole that just went way too deep down Chukville.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Daughter. Cousin's a creep.
Was it the room the cousin was staying in?? I thought it was the son's room with the closet hole.

Could sister have killed brother?

Would explain her running away.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Was it the room the cousin was staying in?? I thought it was the son's room with the closet hole.

Could sister have killed brother?

Would explain her running away.
Yeah, son's room had the hole looking into the daughter's. There was a line about the cousin staying in the son's room. As for your question... dunno. It'd be one of the least expected theories.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Season 2 actually had some great moments.

One of those was VV. Yea his dialogue was legendary for all the wrong reasons, but his final scene and the way he managed to break free of such a strong typecast, was an achievement.

The fetish woman detective that likes big dicks was off-putting sometimes, but overall I thought was agreeable. Velcoro was the anchor obviously, but there were just too much wasted screen time at the end of the day.

As far as the theories concerning this season

The daughter going rogue is a somewhat mindfuck, but I think it runs much deeper. The letter at the end of ep 2 kind of extinguishes that theory though IMO.

Hosix

All labs matter!
Yeah, son's room had the hole looking into the daughter's. There was a line about the cousin staying in the son's room. As for your question... dunno. It'd be one of the least expected theories.

I thought that hole was just a poorly attempted red herring. The cousin likes to watch the wife be naked/sex. That’s it.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I thought that hole was just a poorly attempted red herring. The cousin likes to watch the wife be naked/sex. That’s it.
That could be it. I might've assumed it was the daughter's because there's always pedos in this show. Definitely a red herring regardless. The detectives noticed it after all.

• 1Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
Ya the daughter makes sense. If she was being touched by a pedo she would be over sexualized and checking out mom/dad doing the nasty.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Guys... it was the little boys room peeping in on the little girls room. Keep up.

Implication being the creepy uncle that stayed in the room for a few months was looking at his niece, thus making him a potential pedo and a person of interest.

And, none of it matters because it is a Red Herring.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Guys... it was the little boys room peeping in on the little girls room. Keep up.

Implication being the creepy uncle that stayed in the room for a few months was looking at his niece, thus making him a potential pedo and a person of interest.

That's exactly what I said.

• 1Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider

Eh, someone was wrongly convicted. Might as well be the creepy uncle.