True Detective

Fedor

<Banned>
Twitter / AADaddario: .... The president has seen ...

ChCMvrW.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well from what I gathered info wise is that this play about this "yellow king" is set in 2 acts. One is just an ordinary detective story, like we have with the show. and the second act veers off into the weird and insane and I think this show is kind of mimicking this in what happened in episode 5, act two has begun and its about to get all fucked up.

Also what I have learned that in the play, the true identity of the killer or this "yellow king" was never exposed either.

I also agree with Fedor on this unreliable narration as well. The shows flashbacks are the truth, while their interrogation might not reveal the whole truth. The entire biker gang episode and what really happened to Ledoux in the flashbacks shows this.

Its really hard to speculate at this point. What I think is thee is something to do with the five. As shown last page with the screen captures... There is many clues to this, in the picture, the dolls on the floor, the stick figures made from the can.

But then there is the entire Heart thing going on with the sexual stuff and his daughter. There has to be a reason for this to be shown time and time again by the writer. Maybe he is part of the five? But then why did he jsut get so upset with Ledoux and kill him right away when he saw the two kids in the back of the truck at his place?

I also think that rust has just been following the case by himself all these years. I also think he would be too smart just to show up at a crime scene after the fact as a spectator if he in fact did it. (2012 murder)

khorum

Murder Apologist
I was only making a joke about his name being Johnny McPhail.
Dumb as that joke was, it's actually kinda spoilery. IMDB follows SAG's very specific rules about actor accreditation and it lists exactly which actors appear in which of the eight episodes. For example we learn that Alexandra is only present in the first four episodes, and that maisie hart is only present in the first 4 while Audrey is in 7.....And that Glenn Fleshler who plays the school janitor shows up the one time we've seen him so far and then in the last two episodes.

Jaybee

Silver Knight of the Realm
This is a pretty good review of the series so far:http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...-all-life.html
Wow. I think that guy nailed it.

Martin Hart is the Yellow King. There are signs we?d be fools to ignore. His daughter, from the time she?s young, has dark sexual inclinations and an anger toward her father that hint at some form of abuse, and which Pizzolatto wouldn?t show us if it didn?t have a point. Hart was also the one, in episode two, who stopped Cohle from entering the abandoned school at the last possible moment when information came back on Reggie Ledoux?s past. Crucially, we never heard that information except from Hart?s mouth; he was giving up details on Ledoux to keep Cohle away from the school, which was part of Tuttle?s ministries and which was strewn with devil nets and other evidence of the killer.

When the pair finally caught up to Ledoux, Hart made sure to kill him before he could find his verbal way beyond apocalyptic poetry to reveal the identity of the Yellow King. He disguises the act as righteous rage, but it?s nothing more than an execution and a silencing. And in 2012, he slowly allows the new detectives to win him over with their case against Cohle. He?s nearing some ultimate coup, and the murders were an attempt to curb his existential fatigue; to refute the truth that the good days are a myth and the future has always been behind him. Hart?another name for ?deer,? incidentally?is the yellow-haired malevolence that has worked its sinuous way through the refineries and bayous and cane fields of his own hellish Carcosa.

Cohle has been pursuing the killer as a vigilante for the past decade. He's gotten too close and he's about to get framed as the killer.

rrr_img_60470.jpg

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
There are plenty of details to suggest he's involved somehow: the spiral drawing in his house,his preventing Cohle from entering the abandoned school at the last minute, impulsively executing Ledoux, even his last name (thanks, Google).
I missed this during that episode. Knowing that and what we know now at the end of this past episode makes it even more likely it's Hart.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
If it's Hart, I feel like they would be really doing a disservice to Cohle's character. They have written him as this tormented genius and he ends up working alongside the killer the entire time?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
While it probably comes off as cheating by stepping outside of the narrative, comments by Pizzolatto in the "Inside the Episode" interview for Ep. 5 undercut the idea of either Rust or Marty being the killer. He says he doesn't view them as anti-heroes and that there is nothing anti about them, they are heroes. So I don't think either of them being Lang's killer is very likely.

However, this doesn't exclude the broader theme of The King in Yellow that runs throughout the series; those who uncover the story descending into madness themselves. Ledoux told Rust he knew what happens next and "You're a priest to".

The Darkness Becomes You ...

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If it's Hart, I feel like they would be really doing a disservice to Cohle's character. They have written him as this tormented genius and he ends up working alongside the killer the entire time?
I feel it would speak to the twisted, sick genius Hart really is. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled...

Fedor

<Banned>
Inside the Obsessive, Strange Mind of True Detective??Ts Nic Pizzolatto - The Daily Beast

Nic Pizzolatto_sl said:
I've enjoyed reading people theorize about what's going to happen because it's a sign that you're connecting. But I'm also sort of surprised by how far afield they're getting.Like, why do you think we're tricking you? It's because you've been abused as an audience for more than 20 years. The show's not trying to outsmart you.And really if you pay attention. if someone watches the first episode and really listens, it tells you 85 percent of the story of the first six episodes.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
So does that mean in the last two episodes the story is gonna go full on white knuckle compared to what it's been thus far?

Shit ...

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Inside the Obsessive, Strange Mind of True Detective??Ts Nic Pizzolatto - The Daily Beast

I've enjoyed reading people theorize about what's going to happen because it's a sign that you're connecting. But I'm also sort of surprised by how far afield they're getting.Like, why do you think we're tricking you? It's because you've been abused as an audience for more than 20 years. The show's not trying to outsmart you. And really if you pay attention. if someone watches the first episode and really listens, it tells you 85 percent of the story of the first six episodes.
Says that, writes season finale for "The Killing."

Edit: In all seriousness, he's included imagery in his scenes that makes us second guess things, like the dolls, or the circle on the wall or Rust's hallucinations. It's not just the audience being twisted that makes them believe there is a trick, you don't add that those things without making people take notice. Either he's just trolling us with that shit, and it's not going to come up at all, or they are clues to Hart being connected in a way that was left our of the narration we have so far (Either by Hart's own omission or because Hart doesn't know--hell it could be his wife that belongs to a cult, or something). But either way, he put them there on purpose, to make everyone question things. Saying we've been "abused" is the reason is a bit silly when he's actively writing in meta commentary to his own narratives.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Yeah, no way it's Hart. Y'all are getting way too clever.
Why include all that stuff to fuel speculation? Those are A LOT of coincidences. He's just fucking with us at this point. He rejected the notion that the show is a "whodunit" but that's exactly what it is.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I doubt its Heart. For one his character is too stupid to pull that kind of shit off.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
rrr_img_60489.jpg

Probably going for the Scooby Doo method of making it someone in episode 1 for 5 seconds. (3rd Detective on the left)

Raes

Vyemm Raider
While I don't agree with the theory that Hart is the bad guy, to add to your "evidence" of said theory is the fact that Hart refused to leave Rust alone at the meth lab and go call for backup.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user