True Detective

moontayle

Golden Squire
I'm going with the Hart and Cohle falling out as being staged so Cohle could go underground and do what he does best. We already know they can spin a story together and keep it that way. Now the real question is if he found what he was looking for.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think he went undercover too, just not sure if he involved hart or is he doing it alone. also if he is undercover then who is he undercover with? the church group? the bikers?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Maybe Hart is the one who is really undercover and Rust is the decoy. Hart is now some hotshot private security firm owner.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If what the writer is saying about the show not trying to be tricky is true then it would seem that Hart and Cohle still working on the case and Cohle being deep under cover is the most likely outcome.

EDIT: meant to say Cohle deep under cover not Hart

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
i think he went undercover too, just not sure if he involved hart or is he doing it alone. also if he is undercover then who is he undercover with? the church group? the bikers?
The most obvious answer would be the cult itself. The only problem I see with this angle, and it's no small one, is that he and Hart achieved cop celebrity status after killing Ledoux and finding the two kids. He's probably too well known and recognizable at that point to actually pull off going undercover there in Louisiana. There are indications from the interview however that he left the area for 10 years, so maybe he went elsewhere to do so.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I pretty much assume now that their falling out was fake. And I bet Hart is as involved with the investigation as Rust has been all this time. He's been bullshitting the investigators as much as Rust was.

Of course Rust is so awesome it's easy to assume that he's been totally on his own since 2002.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, I pretty much assume now that their falling out was fake. And I bet Hart is as involved with the investigation as Rust has been all this time.
same here

Something along the lines of Hart finding out about his daughter's involvement and they both agree to certain terms so they can continue.

khorum

Murder Apologist
The Twin-Peaks-like cult forming around True Detective is buzzing so much that it's driven a 120-year-old horror anthologyThe King In Yellow up to 4th on Amazon's best seller list. Social media metrics observers have noted how last Sunday's episode seems to have sucked all the oxygen from the room, perhaps even diminishing House of Cards season 2's triumphant debut.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This show deserves all the attention it gets. Five episodes in and this is quickly climbing my greatest show ever ranking. Let's hope they don't fuck it up with the ending!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
If what the writer is saying about the show not trying to be tricky is true then it would seem that Hart and Cohle still working on the case and Cohle being deep under cover is the most likely outcome.

EDIT: meant to say Cohle deep under cover not Hart
Yes, if there is no "twist", this would be my guess. The girls got molested in school, maybe by Tuttle. Rust in his new investigations finds out and tells Cohle. They form their own "cult", whose primary objective is to hunt down everyone. Hart rises in the social ranks in the state to gather information that way, while Rust goes off the grid and gets dirt from the seedier side of the world. (Either that or Rust is now working for another agency, like the FBI). When they find someone responsible, they get together and kill them, which is what happened to Tuttle.

If there is a twist, like I said earlier, I'm going to go with the scenes with Hart being under the influence of unreliable narration: and he's directly involved. But I'd honestly rather it be the above. I'm not a massive fan of twists.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't necessarily buy the whole "undercover" angle. If anything I think it is more likely that Rust was working the case on his own and is no longer associated with law enforcement. But if it is, I have no doubt that Hart is in on it with Rust and working the "society" portion of the op.

Interestingly, I think it was Hart who saw the picture at the girl's mom's house, the one with the hooded figured surrounding the girls. That plus the barbies plus his statement about being attentive, I do think there is something there.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I don't necessarily buy the whole "undercover" angle. If anything I think it is more likely that Rust was working the case on his own and is no longer associated with law enforcement. But if it is, I have no doubt that Hart is in on it with Rust and working the "society" portion of the op.

Interestingly, I think it was Hart who saw the picture at the girl's mom's house, the one with the hooded figured surrounding the girls. That plus the barbies plus his statement about being attentive, I do think there is something there.
Cohle is definitely working the case, that's the only reason he went in for the interview. As for whether or not that's what he's been up to for the past 10 years, I don't know. The photograph of the hooded figures surrounding the girl was noticed by Cohle, not Hart. The scene specifically showed Cohle looking around in different directions and noticing different things in the room, particularly the photograph.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Ah, yeah I didn't rewatch it but I could have sworn it was Hart. I really do hope there is something we're missing that all the fan theorists aren't thinking of, because this show is pretty much awesome and I would hate to have Astrobro be smarter than they are.Or any of us, really.

• 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Ah, yeah I didn't rewatch it but I could have sworn it was Hart. I really do hope there is something we're missing that all the fan theorists aren't thinking of, because this show is pretty much awesome and I would hate to have Astrobro be smarter than they are.Or any of us, really.
Brace yourself, cause Astrobro outsmarted all you brainiacs

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Interesting idea on cohle and the FBI. It was always odd to me the law enforcement in Texas was allowed by some owned "favor" of placing him on homicide in deep Louisiana. Hard to see state to to state law enforcement working like that especially when no one likes or wants Cohle around.

Maybe cohle has been deep under cover for the Feds as an Internal affairs agent the whole time.

khorum

Murder Apologist
So apparently they cut Shea Whigham's amazeballs 6-min sermon from episode 3 and instead cut into some more development for Cohle and Hart's characters. The whole sermon is below and it says a lot about the show that they can take film-quality work like this and leave it on the cutting room floor.

But it's also unnerving to watch once you realize he's pretty much preaching Cohle's anti-natalist/cosmic pessimist philosophy dressed up as an evangelical sermon! He's preaching about a god alright, but WHICH god since Christian dogma it ain't. It's almost right out of Thomas Ligotti'sConspiracy Against the Human Race:

This is not real, it is merely the limitation of our senses, which are meager devices. Your angers and your griefs and your separations are a fevered hallucination... You are prisoners of light and matter.

You are a stranger to yourself and yet HE knows you. And yet when your hard heart made you like unto the stone and broke you from HIS body--which is the stars and wind between the stars--HE knew you.

This world is a veil, and the face you wear is not your own . in the end, we will find ourselves at the beginning, and we will at last know ourselves, and our true faces will weep in his light and those tears will feel like a warm rain.

Fedor

<Banned>
UPROXX Interview: Charles Halford From 'True Detective' On Playing Reggie Ledoux

Charles Halford_sl said:
UPROXX:Oh man. Well is there a story from your True Detective experience that you'll always remember and will probably be telling for the rest of your life?

CHARLES:On my flight down there Richard Simmons was - I'm not making this sh*t up, dude - Richard Simmons was on that flight, heckling me the whole time down there. He finds out I'm doing this show on HBO and he asks me to go out to dinner with him and his manager. We go to this, I don't know some crazy place, it was surreal. It's like I'd never been to New Orleans and then I'm out with Richard Simmons. The next day I'm in the chair getting my hair bleached. It was so ridiculous.

UPROXX:So you're on the flight with Richard Simmons. He somehow finds out you're on True Detective and invites you out. That is indeed ridiculous. I remember him being in New Orleans a few months back and word about it was all over the place because he was just running around doing all sorts of Richard Simmons things. I remember it very distinctly.

CHARLES:Well he's from here right? He's like born and raised here?

UPROXX:Yeah, he's from New Orleans.

CHARLES:He was super nice. But he can't not be noticed. Like every third person that came on the plane, he would be like, "Oh and you're just a magnificent little so-and-so" and "you're just a big lumberjack who loves his mother."And then I fell asleep during the flight and I woke up and he was like, "Were you dreaming? What kind of dreams were you having?" He was right in my ear. I'm like, I can't believe this is happening to me. I've never flown first class. I've never been to New Orleans and now I got Richard Simmons in my ear, you know asking me about my dreams and trying to give me some psych read or something.

UPROXX:That's so great. That's amazing.

CHARLES:So you're from New Orleans. What's the big famous oyster place that's in the Hilton or whatever?

UPROXX:Dragos.

CHARLES:Dragos. I have a napkin where he he wrote, "Meet me at Dragos, Richard." It was Richard, his manager, like his whole team was there, and everybody was super nice when we went out. They've all worked for him for like 20 years. Like he's a total good dude. But then we were walking down Bourbon Street and he stops for everybody to take photos, was totally gracious and then the next morning I was in the chair about to make True Detective telling everybody about how I like tore up the town with Richard Simmons the night before.
and like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it

CAHPERD-12-Conference-Richard-Simmons.jpg

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
This world is a veil, and the face you wear is not your own . in the end, we will find ourselves at the beginning, and we will at last know ourselves, and our true faces will weep in his light and those tears will feel like a warm rain.
That part reminds me of something by T. S. Elliot: "and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."