True Detective

Fingz_sl

shitlord
Hart and Rust are still working together 17 years later, they faked their breakup to throw off the powerful group of Satanists.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
just rewatched all 5 episodes tonight. so good.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Ya, just binged the first five and then this thread. I have no idea how it's going to turn out, but holy fuck, what a ride. Masterfully done. MM is a god damn beast. I'm hard pressed to come up with a performance that rivals what he's done with Rust.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Everyone focuses on McConaughey and he's done a SUPERB job for sure, but since you're all rewatching the show again anyway pay extra attention to fucking Harrelson's range and subtlety throughout the show so far.

I mean the guy goes from good-old-boy jock to tortured drunk to jealous psychotic boyfriend so smoothly that you don't even notice he's pulling most of the emotional weight of the show. I'm sure they scoped it out to be some McConnaissance vehicle but Harrelson is absolutely carrying this show.

MM goes from sullen-insomniac-burnout to sullen-junkie-burnout to sullen obsessive burnout. He does it very well but WOODY, now, Woody is driving the texture of each scene he's in. On your next rewatch pay attention to the range he plays out during LeDoux's arrest... he goes from tense professional cop to uncontrollable rage to near-panicked guilt in once he realizes what he's done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I know a lot of viewers don't like "twists," but I wouldn't mind if it's revealed that Cohle went off the grid for several years to investigate Hart.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Woody is absolutely not carrying this show. Is he a good actor? Sure. I've been a fan since NBK, he's done some fine work. Can he emote? Yeah, it's called "acting." What Matt does is much harder. He is conveying his character with the set of his face, the look in his eyes, and the rhythm and nuance of his voice. Rust is most assuredly not "sullen." In fact, you should look that word up, cause I don't think it means what you think it means.

They are both doing a great job and work well together, but I don't think anyone is carrying the show. Matt got the role with a little more depth to it and is running with it, yeah, but that doesn't mean Woody isn't doing great with his role. No need to make it seem like he's doing more than he is.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I have a pretty plausible theory (again, not making any definitive claims). What if Ledoux was the red herring this whole time? There are also child abductions going on, but maybe those aren't even connected to the prostitute murders. Hart and Cohle go to Ledoux's place to investigate the Dora Lange murder. Hart unexpectedly finds kidnapped children there and kills Ledoux due to some perverse moral code that says it's ok to kill prostitutes but children are off limits.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I have a pretty plausible theory (again, not making any definitive claims). What if Ledoux was the red herring this whole time? There are also child abductions going on, but maybe those aren't even connected to the prostitute murders. Hart and Cohle go to Ledoux's place to investigate the Dora Lange murder. Hart unexpectedly finds kidnapped children there and kills Ledoux due to some perverse moral code that says it's ok to kill prostitutes but children are off limits.
I think that was more himsnappingas a Father than some kind of moral code he carried out.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Don't you mean snapping as a "human"? Seriously, is there any one of you who wouldn't react pretty much the same? You've got a gun on you (for whatever reason), you're in a guy's house and you find two children chained up and one of them is dead. Wouldn't your first instinct be to end that fucker? Whether you're a parent or not??

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Don't you mean snapping as a "human"? Seriously, is there any one of you who wouldn't react pretty much the same? You've got a gun on you (for whatever reason), you're in a guy's house and you find two children chained up and one of them is dead. Wouldn't your first instinct be to end that fucker? Whether you're a parent or not??
ya I have a hard time not taking matters into my own hands for justice

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
im convinced Ledoux was a trafficker for the yellow king or a regular member or he was just the guy who raped and killed the kids and another did the staging with the antlers. maybe somebody else went out and caught them. im guessing Ledoux never left his property and if he did kids would run the fuck away if they saw him. maybe lawnmower man was the kid catcher and tuttle was the antler dude. when Hart caught the ten pointer did he mention if he went hunting with someone else?

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'd probably at least kick the shit out of him, but I can't say for sure I'd just walk up and blow his brains out. I doubt Rust would have done the same thing as Hart did too.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I want to say if I came across some guy that had raped one kid to death and was in the process of doing the same to another, I would absolutely blow his fucking brains out. Hard to say for sure though, that one's still one my bucket list.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Everyone focuses on McConaughey and he's done a SUPERB job for sure, but since you're all rewatching the show again anyway pay extra attention to fucking Harrelson's range and subtlety throughout the show so far.
I don't know, I think they went in opposite emotional directions and both did it great. At the start, Rust is withdrawn and pretty much a mess being held together thinly. He's got this super pessimistic view of the world due to losing his kid, but he's not really sure of it; he even says when Hart asks him why he wakes up and does the job if it's for nothing "I'd like to say I'm bearing witness, but really it's my programing."...So Rust says this stuff, but you can tell he isn't sure of himself, he won't commit to this view. And then you have Hart, who is absolutely sure of himself. Family, old time religion--good old boy. He knows what a man needs to make his life worth living and he walks around with confidence because of it.

However, as the story progresses and things get more fucked up? They go in opposite directions. Rust becomes more confident, more sure of himself. It's like everything he is seeing is 100% confirming his world view and he knows exactly what he has to do. Meanwhile, Hart starts questioning things, like whether he's a bad man; he loses his marriage and he kind of self destructs, until at the end of Episode 5, Rust is essentially the shot caller. It was a pretty neat emotional swap as they both descended into the seedy, "evil" world just under the surface of world everyone sees.

On another note: I'm more and more convinced the murders were done specifically to catch the attention of a "true detective" (Someone smart and resourceful enough to follow the trail). When you hear Rust talk about it, he says things like "this guy is a meta psychotic" "he is articulating a vision"...Then he finds the little devil nets in areas he's investigating and he says "It felt like someone was trying to have a conversation"....Then he tells Hart "This girl was just like chum in the water." It really made me think that the trail to Lodeux was set up, and heck, maybe Lodeux knew he was a sacrificial lamb; so whoever is behind it could have a conservation with a "real" hunter: which would undoubtedly be a perfect priest to learn his grand "lessons".

I don't know who the Yellow King is, but it seems like whoever he is? He's the one hunting, not being hunted.