True Detective

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
No one is overthinking anything. If this were a straightforward crime drama, we wouldn't be privy to a bunch of unexplained events and symbolism. The show was pretty much designed to fuel speculation. I mean come on, a central character's last name literally means deer/stag. Of the countless surnames out there, why that one?
bro, did you know that Rust Cohle is an anagram for Cults Hero?

MYSTERIOUS.

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
So you can look like an idiot when Hart isn't part of the Carcosa cult.
I'm not sure if Carcosa is a cult. I think its a state of mind, the realization of that repeated time looping that Cohle eventually figures out and talks about with the 2D time disc. There probably isnt even a real king in yellow, its probably just a metaphorical description of someone who offers these followers a way out of the Carcosa (the time looping) if they do his bidding, or something to that effect.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure if Carcosa is a cult. I think its a state of mind, the realization of that repeated time looping that Cohle eventually figures out and talks about with the 2D time disc. There probably isnt even a real king in yellow, its probably just a metaphorical description of someone who offers these followers a way out of the Carcosa (the time looping) if they do his bidding, or something to that effect.
Cohle actually discovering a time loop would be even more ridiculous than Hart being involved. His discussion with the detectives was a metaphysical musing that a lot of self-aware people have.

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
Cohle actually discovering a time loop would be even more ridiculous than Hart being involved. His discussion with the detectives was a metaphysical musing that a lot of self-aware people have.
I'm not saying its an actual time loop like something out of Lost.

What I am saying is that it is a philosophical realization of the ultimate futility of making choices in how you live your life because you ultimately have no control of it. Same shit repeats over and over again. Whether that is true or not is another subject altogether, but I think its possible that these cult leaders have convinced these followers that this is how it actually works (in a similar way preacher Theriot talks to his congregation while Cohle condescends on it). They call this existence in the loop "the Carcosa" and offer the followers a way out of Carcosa if they do what they are told. Dora Lange was actually kinda enraptured by the Yellow King because he probably pumped her full of drugs and then sold her on that Carcosa philosophy and promised her a way out. And for some trailer park hooker, I'm sure that sounded better than nothing.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, as I said earlier, the name comes from a series of Pulp Stories with the name "True Detective". It was the first real foray into crime noir, based heavily on the "grim" and "gritty", which was a theme back during the depression (Not surprising we've readopted it.) However, I fail to see how that has any bearing on using it in this case as a metaphor for a modern day "hunter"? Do you think because it's used here, they can't use "True Detective" in another way in another serial?
You might say Rust is.. NATR'L PO-LICE.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Lone Star Beer review on beeradvocate.com

wJHE3fG.png
LOL

Best thing about that is it renders Cohle's testimony inadmissable. He even warns the interrogators about that.

Then again maybe that's a point for the Hart-as-YK theorists. Maybe Brother Mouzone and his partner don't care about Cohle's testimony being admissable since they're actually assembling a case against Hart.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
They call this existence in the loop "the Carcosa" and offer the followers a way out of Carcosa if they do what they are told. Dora Lange was actually kinda enraptured by the Yellow King because he probably pumped her full of drugs and then sold her on that Carcosa philosophy and promised her a way out. And for some trailer park hooker, I'm sure that sounded better than nothing.
Well, at the start, when they are finding out about Dora, Rust says "She sounds like she was tired, someone who was torn up and walking on her last legs. She was just an easy target for him." Then rust pulls that other file with a lady that had that spiral on her back, and it was the same story, someone who was just beaten down and looked at life as something that was pointless.

That's actually part of the reason I started thinking Dora was kind of bait for Rust specifically; because of all the shit Rust went through, he's that same type of "none of this matters" personality, so this cult's nihilist philosophy would appeal to him. So they put her out there like chum in the water and then left him the little nets to keep him running around, wanting him to eventually go mad so they could convince him he needs to "break the cycle" (IE they want to ritually kill him once he fully loses it.)

Then again, the thought of a conspiracy, even a well organized one, slowly wearing someone down over 17 years? Soundsreallyfar fetched. That's a long time to play a game with someone. So maybe Dora and the ones since were just there to show their followers the "law" wasn't a threat to them.

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
Well, at the start, when they are finding out about Dora, Rust says "She sounds like she was tired, someone who was torn up and walking on her last legs. She was just an easy target for him." Then rust pulls that other file with a lady that had that spiral on her back, and it was the same story, someone who was just beaten down and looked at life as something that was pointless.

That's actually part of the reason I started thinking Dora was kind of bait for Rust specifically; because of all the shit Rust went through, he's that same type of "none of this matters" personality, so this cult's nihilist philosophy would appeal to him. So they put her out there like chum in the water and then left him the little nets to keep him running around, wanting him to eventually go mad so they could convince him he needs to "break the cycle" (IE they want to ritually kill him once he fully loses it.)

Then again, the thought of a conspiracy, even a well organized one, slowly wearing someone down over 17 years? Soundsreallyfar fetched. That's a long time to play a game with someone. So maybe Dora and the ones since were just there to show their followers the "law" wasn't a threat to them.
Unless they themselves see this as part of a repeating cycle and thus are convinced that this is what has to be done regardless of the difficulties.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Woody is absolutely not carrying this show. Is he a good actor? Sure. I've been a fan since NBK, he's done some fine work. Can he emote? Yeah, it's called "acting." What Matt does is much harder. He is conveying his character with the set of his face, the look in his eyes, and the rhythm and nuance of his voice. Rust is most assuredly not "sullen." In fact, you should look that word up, cause I don't think it means what you think it means.

They are both doing a great job and work well together, but I don't think anyone is carrying the show. Matt got the role with a little more depth to it and is running with it, yeah, but that doesn't mean Woody isn't doing great with his role. No need to make it seem like he's doing more than he is.
I watched Inside the Actors Studio this week because MM was the guest. When the discussion turned to True Detective, he said the role was easier to play than many others he has done because the script was so well written, that all of Rust Cohle was there in the words. He said that playing a character in that situation was a matter of pulling back and acting less and just delivering the dialog in a convincing manner, like he really believed what he was saying.

Jaybee

Silver Knight of the Realm
So the Attorney General of Texas doesn't know the difference between "your self" and "yourself." Actually, that's quite plausible for Texas.