True Detective

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
you guys have gone completely off the rails.

not only most of these theories are ridiculously convoluted and implausible, but the shit you bring in to validate your views is just nonsensical.

On another note: I'm more and more convinced the murders were done specifically to catch the attention of a "true detective" (Someone smart and resourceful enough to follow the trail). When you hear Rust talk about it, he says things like "this guy is a meta psychotic" "he is articulating a vision"...Then he finds the little devil nets in areas he's investigating and he says "It felt like someone was trying to have a conversation"....Then he tells Hart "This girl was just like chum in the water." It really made me think that the trail to Lodeux was set up, and heck, maybe Lodeux knew he was a sacrificial lamb; so whoever is behind it could have a conservation with a "real" hunter: which would undoubtedly be a perfect priest to learn his grand "lessons".

I don't know who the Yellow King is, but it seems like whoever he is? He's the one hunting, not being hunted.
you do realize that this isnt a one-off show and that it will have to keep this name for all the other stories it tells in future seasons with different actors, different villains and different settings? they didnt call it "true detective" just to fit this one story.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
you guys have gone completely off the rails.

not only most of these theories are ridiculously convoluted and implausible, but the shit you bring in to validate your views is just nonsensical.

you do realize that this isnt a one-off show and that it will have to keep this name for all the other stories it tells in future seasons with different actors, different villains and different settings? they didnt call it "true detective" just to fit this one story.
This show, by the way, is based on a series from Pulp novels in 1930 (Back when the main theme of the crime noir was gritty, dark realism: Like today.).
Yeah, as I said earlier, the name comes from a series of Pulp Stories with the name "True Detective". It was the first real foray into crime noir, based heavily on the "grim" and "gritty", which was a theme back during the depression (Not surprising we've readopted it.) However, I fail to see how that has any bearing on using it in this case as a metaphor for a modern day "hunter"? Do you think because it's used here, they can't use "True Detective" in another way in another serial?

In this show though, Lodeux literally says "he's sees you now"...And they cut out "you're a priest too"..Given everything Rust says about the killer, how he's setting up a conversation and a message? It's not plausible to you at all that he planted the murder there to lure out a detective? Even if he didn't know who would come looking, it's "off the rails" to believe a killer was playing a game like this?

You've never heard of the Zodiac? Son of Sam? The Washington Sniper? They all specifically left clues with messages for police. I'm not sure how that's off the rails.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
It's not really implausible to think that Cohle has gone off the radar to investigate Hart. The show has pretty much painted Hart as an impulsive misogynist so I wouldn't be surprised if he's a killer.
What I really wanna know is what all the deer symbolism means.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, as I said earlier, the name comes from a series of Pulp Stories with the name "True Detective". It was the first real foray into crime noir, based heavily on the "grim" and "gritty", which was a theme back during the depression (Not surprising we've readopted it.) However, I fail to see how that has any bearing on using it in this case as a metaphor for a modern day "hunter"? Do you think because it's used here, they can't use "True Detective" in another way in another serial?

In this show though, Lodeux literally says "he's sees you now"...And they cut out "you're a priest too"..Given everything Rust says about the killer, how he's setting up a conversation and a message? It's not plausible to you at all that he planted the murder there to lure out a detective? Even if he didn't know who would come looking, it's "off the rails" to believe a killer was playing a game like this?

You've never heard of the Zodiac? Son of Sam? The Washington Sniper? They all specifically left clues with messages for police. I'm not sure how that's off the rails.
While everything is possible, including today truly being the date of the Viking Ragnarok - in reality, it would be rather pointless to name a show one specific name just so you could tailor the name to your first story and then be handcuffed to the damn title for the next 6 seasons. Come on, lets use some common sense here for a minute.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Gotta' say I agree with Araysar. The show is awesome, and while they are clearly keeping things a mystery, I don't think it's going to be nearly as "deep" and "Losty" as some of you guys are hypothesizing. Only 3 more episodes to find out, at least!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
While everything is possible, including today truly being the date of the Viking Ragnarok - in reality, it would be rather pointless to name a show one specific name just so you could tailor the name to your first story and then be handcuffed to the damn title for the next 6 seasons. Come on, lets use some common sense here for a minute.
Yeah, it would, but there are a lot of themes you can get from "True Detective". I don't think the actual title has meaning outside of the things it represents in the show. Every cop in the show talks about how the job changes people; but then Rust says "The job didn't change me, how I am made me right for the job."....I think in further serials, that will be the unifying theme, the "true detective": Someone who had these kind of "flaws" before being a cop, that happened to make them into good police.

In this specific setting, those qualities are what a killer is looking to taunt (I think). But in further settings, those same qualities could be used to differentiate the main character in some other way but still based on the qualities of what it means to be natural police.

And a killer leaving messages to taunt and hunt cops is as out there as Ragnarok? Come on now. The devil nets were OBVIOUSLY as message for whoever bumbled that far along on the investigation. That's not some obtuse shit that some neckbeard DVR got, that's something the show writers couldn't have made more obvious if they spelled it out. How deeply the killer is connected can go into varying degrees of "off the rails"--but they make it pretty clear the killer is leaving a message, and I believe it's a message someone like Rust is supposed to be able to decipher. (Where a normal person? Wouldn't be able to..not because they aren't smart enough, but because they aren't half crazy themselves.)

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
That devil nets shit is so hamfisted, I'm starting to think that the only reason theyre finding them is because someone is leaving them on purpose. So you might be right that the YK is playing a game but it doesnt really make sense. The YK + crew isnt killing regularly and most of the crimes he tries to conceal (girl abductions). So why leave these devil nets at the crime scene at Dora Lange's murder, or in the shed at the end of first episode, or in the school, or at the LeDoux hillbilly compound, etc.?

I think its more likely that YK has a traitor in his group who is leaving these nets as a trail for the detectives to find YK

Anyways, there isnt going to be some crazy twist at the end like some of you think, and the show isnt going to veer off into the supernatural. It is pretty clearly building up to the fact that there is a cabal of powerful men (high ranking officials, well known public figures) that have some sort of secret cult out in the woods where they rape, kill and sacrifice. You are overthinking this shit.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Well didn't the guy in prison they interrogated for the second time state LeDouche was a member of a cult that rapes and kills children/women in the woods?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Anyways, there isnt going to be some crazy twist at the end like some of you think, and the show isnt going to veer off into the supernatural. It is pretty clearly building up to the fact that there is a cabal of powerful men (high ranking officials, well known public figures) that have some sort of secret cult out in the woods where they rape, kill and sacrifice. You are overthinking this shit.
No, I agree with you. I pointed out earlier that if it WAS Hart, I wouldn't be shocked, because I'm half expecting this writer to troll the shit out of us because of how he comments on modern fiction with his writing.

But, I think what we're going to end up seeing is Rust doggedly following the trail on the "outside" (Because on 02 he finds some big evidence that this goes way up), while Hart is relaying him information from "the inside" of society (As he climbs the social ladders). Eventually they will come to the 4 guys who are ritually doing this, and they will be powerful men (Preachers, maybe the Governor or the police chief ect). And then we'll get some insight that they left the clues because they wanted a new "priest" and Rust is the person (The only one who could read their signs)--or some other kind of ham fisted "creepy consipiracy" ending.

Then hopefully Rust shoots them all in the face. But who knows. But yeah, the story is progressing nicely into just a conspiracy/thriller, where the killers have some knowledge about the police (And Rust specifically). I wouldn't rule a big twist out but I don't think it will happen.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Well didn't the guy in prison they interrogated for the second time state LeDouche was a member of a cult that rapes and kills children/women in the woods?
Yes, he said he was part of some Satanic group and they were hooked into some "good killing".

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Lone Star Beer review on beeradvocate.com

wJHE3fG.png

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The YK + crew isnt killing regularly and most of the crimes he tries to conceal (girl abductions). So why leave these devil nets at the crime scene at Dora Lange's murder, or in the shed at the end of first episode, or in the school, or at the LeDoux hillbilly compound, etc.?.
Missed this. I think what will see is just that Dora was set up specifically for the police to find (That's why they lit the field on fire). Heck, maybe it was specifically for Rust and Hart. If the cabal of powerful men goes all the way up to some high level bureaucrat, then maybe they had access to Rust's undercover records. So they offer him a job in Louisiana, and make sure he's assigned to the case and then leave the body specifically for him. They leave the nets around to fuck with him, get him to follow a trail they want. Maybe it was some kind of fucked up test for Hart and him.

I don't know, it's a stretch, but without something like that? As you said, the nets and little clues seem pretty damn ham fisted.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Missed this. I think what will see is just that Dora was set up specifically for the police to find (That's why they lit the field on fire. Heck, maybe it was specifically for Rust and Hart. If the cabal of powerful men goes all the way up to some high level bureaucrat, then maybe they had access to Rust's undercover records. So they offer him a job in Louisiana, and make sure he's assigned to the case and then leave the body specifically for him. They leave the nets around to fuck with him, get him to follow a trail they want. Maybe it was some kind of fucked up test for Hart and him.

I don't know, it's a stretch, but without something like that? As you said, the nets and little clues seem pretty damn ham fisted.
From the scene with Lester (the black preacher) I thought the nets were just trophies and ritualistic for the cult, nothing more really.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
That devil nets shit is so hamfisted, I'm starting to think that the only reason theyre finding them is because someone is leaving them on purpose. So you might be right that the YK is playing a game but it doesnt really make sense. The YK + crew isnt killing regularly and most of the crimes he tries to conceal (girl abductions). So why leave these devil nets at the crime scene at Dora Lange's murder, or in the shed at the end of first episode, or in the school, or at the LeDoux hillbilly compound, etc.?

I think its more likely that YK has a traitor in his group who is leaving these nets as a trail for the detectives to find YK

No one is overthinking anything. If this were a straightforward crime drama, we wouldn't be privy to a bunch of unexplained events and symbolism. The show was pretty much designed to fuel speculation. I mean come on, a central character's last name literally means deer/stag. Of the countless surnames out there, why that one?