True Detective

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm sure the bird mask sex cult will satisfy some posters needs for "occult stuff". Even though last season didn't have any occult stuff. Last season did have a crazy swamp sex and murder cult though!

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Does anyone think Vaughn is the daddy of Farrells red haired son meaning hes with Farrells ex wife as well. My thought behind this is they couldn't have kids, and then she cheats on Farrell and gets pregnant so she makes up this I got raped story. Vaughn also seems concerned asking bout the kid and seems to know a lot about the whole situation.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Amusingly, that episode was directed by Justin "Fast & Furious 3, 4, 5 & 6" Lin! We knew he had more than one string to his bow though, since he started his career doing indie comedies about asian americans.

About Vaughn's character being overly serious, I think the story makes it obvious that we get to see him at a very tense and critical time for him, so there is very little room for jokes. And the only time we see him in a flash back, he is telling a cop who raped his wife, so it's not exactly happy fun time. There is room for the character to have a broader range, be it through flashbacks or in the way he reacts to the inevitable shit sandwich that will be is life in the coming weeks.

Oh and let me add that David Morse, who plays the guru, is great. He was amazing in Treme as a cop tired with police corruption. It takes some special actors to give life to characters that are such Mensch.
Probably why there were so many shots of freeways and why the last scene the three of them looked at each other like they were bitter rivals wanting to race.

About jokes. Nobody is asking for a fucking comedy. There's a difference between comedy and a drama that is well rounded by including humor. Humor is a natural aspect of drama, and for an episode to be humorless doesn't make good drama, it makes heavy handed, over-wrought melodrama.

Go re-watch Season 1's pilot. Seriously, I did today and, yeah, it's not that Season 2 was too hyped, it's just that the first pilot was still a pilot but managed to do everything good that season 2 couldn't, like start the fucking story. It was heavy as shit, but wasn't flat.

Even great dramas have to have a give and take between humor and tragedy, hope and despair, etc. Season 2 needs a Woody to play the straight-man foil perfectly to MM. Right now everyone seems to be trying really hard to be MM and deliver the dramatic performance of a lifetime, but it's coming across as humorless and artificial and doesn't feel like genuine human drama. Shit, even the lines they are given that could have been funny, or quirky, or charming, are delivered right into a shallow grave, almost as if the actors disapprove thinking a few quips or charm will kill their chances at an oscar.

In short, season one's opener was just great tv. This opener wasn't. May get better and still isn't terrible, but isn't anywhere reaching objectively good.

Also, Fast and Furious direct makes more sense, what with all the freeway shots and the final scene where the characters all looked at each other like they were rivals wanting to race.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
Does anyone think Vaughn is the daddy of Farrells red haired son meaning hes with Farrells ex wife as well. My thought behind this is they couldn't have kids, and then she cheats on Farrell and gets pregnant so she makes up this I got raped story. Vaughn also seems concerned asking bout the kid and seems to know a lot about the whole situation.
Nah.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
And Vaughn's bit about needing artificial means to get his own wife pregnant, and commenting to her how he was half a man or whatever, was all just a smoke screen to keep Farrell from cracking the case!

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Don't you think the 'stache would've noticed if VV was banging his wife? That'd be dumb as shit.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The only thing less likely than this is that Vaughn's wife is a tranny and raped Farrell's ex wife.

Actually, that's way more likely than what you just posted.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Did you completely miss the part where the kids new step dad picked him up from school? It sure wasn't vaugn.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I watched it a second time. The plot really isn't that confusing once you already know the characters, it was probably just a little overwhelming keeping track of all the sub plots while getting used to everyone at the same time.

And my guess is Rachel McAdams's character wanted to use a strap-on on that guy.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Feel like people are just waiting to shit on this show because of how great season 1 was.
I feel like people are shitting on it a bit too much because of how great season 1 was, but I don't think anyone but a few anything-popular-is-shit hiptards and feminist cunts were actively waiting for season 2 just so they could shit on it. It's just that season 1, even the first episode pilot, was really good story telling right off the bat, and this seemed like your typical rushed, sophomore effort after a freshman success. Happens a lot if music, and I think it's happening here. Season 3 is sure to be stellar, though. #silverlining #buttfuckingdadswithheadlesscorpses

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I enjoyed S1 a lot once I finished it, but I quit on it halfway through and had to come back to it because there were times I felt like they were moving glacially slow for no reason. I don't put it on the same pedestal, so I didn't feel any kind of disappointment with this episode. I did hate the intro music, but I don't intend to listen to it much.

Despite my issue with S1, when I remembered this was coming back for S2 I texted my friends, "True Detective, one of the best shows on TV back on tonight", and predictably the response I got was, "without doddario's titties this season gonna suck".

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I thought it was at least as solid as the first episode of season 1. It's just trying a different format that some people do not like as much but they layed alot of ground work for this season.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They could have an absolute shit season and sneak in Daddario's titties the last 5 minutes of the last episode and totally redeem themselves.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I keep seeing the "This was slow season 1s premier was much different"

Heaven forbid they try to do different tempo and format and not just copy season 1.