True Detective

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea we need to give this time lol. Even the critics admitted through 3 episodes you still werent really even sure what the real "story" was. So we probably wont know whats REALLY going on until ep 4 or 5 I would wager.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The main story was hinted at from the start of the episode and continued throughout. They start with the dead guy missing. Then showing him in car. Then showing him dead in the car. Then showing him being pulled out. Then he's found at the end. I thought it was pretty well done.
That's not story. That's situation/scenario/setup. Just like starting a movie with a voice over isn't action just because it's talking about things that have or even are happening, it's exposition.

That doesn't mean anything is inherently good or bad, But when people say the story didn't start until 58 minutes, that's because that's what happened, not because they weren't paying attention to the setup/situation scenes.

Three fucked up cops on the trail of a missing person we see being taken to an oceanside park... is story. Three fucked up cops being established as fucked up via scenes that only exist to show they're fucked up because they are fucked up, like really they all have issues--sometimes explicitly stated via dialog--that fucked them up so they're definitely fucked up, oh and the missing guy a lot of people talked about is being taken to a park... is not story.

Whether you liked it or not is cool. But liking something doesn't mean it was structured or delivered differently than it was.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The main story was hinted at from the start of the episode and continued throughout. They start with the dead guy missing. Then showing him in car. Then showing him dead in the car. Then showing him being pulled out. Then he's found at the end. I thought it was pretty well done.
That's not story. That's situation/scenario/setup. Just like starting a movie with a voice over isn't action just because it's talking about things that have or even are happening, it's exposition.

That doesn't mean anything is inherently good or bad, But when people say the story didn't start until 58 minutes, that's because that's what happened, not because they weren't paying attention to the setup/situation scenes.

Three fucked up cops on the trail of a missing person we see being taken to an oceanside park... is story. Three fucked up cops being established as fucked up via scenes that only exist to show they're fucked up because they are fucked up, like really they all have issues--sometimes explicitly stated via dialog--that fucked them up so they're definitely fucked up, oh and the missing guy a lot of people talked about is being taken to a park... is not story.

Whether you liked it or not is cool. I thought it had a lot of issues, but still like it. But liking something doesn't mean it was structured or delivered any differently than it actually was.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Somehow I doubt Velcoro will have any reservations about whatever fucked up kink DatMcAss is into. Rape fantasy? Beating/cutting? We must know more. Her mom abandoned her and her dad is a hippie Jesus nut and her sister is a camwhore, she probably has a tattoo of a bear trap around her vag and severed penii floating in jars.

And after fixing Veloro's apathy for sex maybe she'll be the cure for CHIPs boner issues, too.

Also, shits gonna get real for Vinny now that Casper's mutilated corpse has turned up so I doubt we'll have him being all nice and polite any more.

I see lots of potential here, even if its nothing like s1.

Szlia

It's clich? central really, but I am absolutely fine with it. It's like a serious version of Inherent Vice! There is some comedy though: "You're supposed to savor that..." "Let me try again!". I also greatly enjoyed the "who are these fuck ups" looks that were exchanged once the trio was assembled.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It did feel a lot like a serious version of Inherent Vice.

But when you actually think about it, everything was connected.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Having a hard time with Vaughn. I like him dont get me wrong but I am so use to his character's dropping jokes and shit that it's hard to take this character serious so far though the bar scene was unique.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think he's a man who's been promoted above his station in the criminal underworld.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Colin Farrell was awesome. I'm going to watch it again later and pay more attention to Vince Vaugn's scenes.

Gnerally, 1st episode seemed scatter-shot and strapped for time to close the net. I think they should have condensed more. They could have combined that family being served eviction notice scene into the dad's temple scene unless serving papers is plot. Raid sister's job->visit temple to tell dad he fails then missing girl's sister interrupts everyone; cop girl listens and offers to investigate.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Why didn't they just let him be a little funny, in a dark, sarcastic way? Having some outlet for humor, irony, sarcasm, something at all other than straight, flat-line heavy-handed drama is usually what makes drama feel real and complex and interesting.

Or, maybe the problem is the things that were supposed to be kinda funny, like erasers clapping together, fell flat, and things that weren't supposed to be funny and felt like they were intended to be really heavy lines "even eating" or "everyone gets touched" or "butt-fuck your dad with your mother's head" were really fucking funny in the worst possible way.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
they gave all the jokes to farrell, the best vaughn got was setting up farrell with "thats supposed to be savored" in regards to farrell drinking the fancy booze like it was a shot and then farrell says "oh, let me try that again" or some such.

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
That song is infinitely better, mood setting, and atmospheric than the shit they went with.

It sucks to criticize this show, but I hope it gets a lot better, fast.
T Bone Burnett said her music plays a part in the story this year.

True Detective trailer song title: The Only Thing Worth Fighting For confirms T Bone Burnett | EW.com

She was also the singer in the bar at the end of the episode last night. She gave an interview to ew too where the writers basically said they gave her a third-eye type of role.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Loved it, that is one way to take care of bullies, the wife said that is fucked up but I say shitty parents make shitty kids and he got what he deserves.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That song is infinitely better, mood setting, and atmospheric than the shit they went with.

It sucks to criticize this show, but I hope it gets a lot better, fast.
I spotified her after listening to that song and I must say, she's got a very good catalogue. I love her voice.

awfal

Silver Knight of the Realm
What was the deal with the naked girl swimming in the bowl of milk? Looked entirely CGI'd and ridiculous. I think Farell's partner even made a comment along the lines of "did you see that". Thought that was some 4th wall shit.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
What was the deal with the naked girl swimming in the bowl of milk? Looked entirely CGI'd and ridiculous. I think Farell's partner even made a comment along the lines of "did you see that". Thought that was some 4th wall shit.
Yeah, we rewound it twice and I have no clue wtf that was about. Looked like a real girl in a pool of milk, but then they clearly showed the dude looking at some small metal bowl.

khalid

Unelected Mod
It was some new age bullshit art piece? Wasn't a real naked girl, was a naked girl doll in a bowl.