True Detective

Juvarisx

Florida
This finally starts next week. Critics are liking it for what little its worth but the nice thing im seeing is they are blending back in the supernatural stuff from season 1. Maybe that stuff goes nowhere again, maybe it will, but I like Jodie Foster enough to give it a shot atleast.

I do like the choice to set it during the arctic winter, so its perpetually nighttime.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Jody Foster is under rated, must be nice to be so wealthy you only need to work once every ten years.

This show needs a Kurt Russel with a flamethrower cameo.

kurt russell GIF

• 4Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Jody Foster is under rated, must be nice to be so wealthy you only need to work once every ten years.

This show needs a Kurt Russel with a flamethrower cameo.

kurt russell GIF
That movie scared the ever living shit out of 12 year old me. I watched it with my hand covering my eyes most of the movie. One of only 2 movies to ever really scare me. Watched it later in life and wow those special effects did not hold up.

Not sure what to think about this season but it's still getting established.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
That movie scared the ever living shit out of 12 year old me. I watched it with my hand covering my eyes most of the movie. One of only 2 movies to ever really scare me. Watched it later in life and wow those special effects did not hold up.

Problem with every season of True Detective is the real culprits and motives aren't revealed until the 4th act. All the build up and tension has zero to do with the ending. Still fun to watch everyone chew scenery til then.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Bleh I'm sticking with Fargo, this season has been good.

Foster is good but that looks like trash
It is trash. Supernatural garbage sprinkled in for no reason. Writers think that all native americans from florida to alaska are the same. Writers also do not know that alaska and antarctica are on opposite ends of the planet.

With the exception of Foster, poorly cast, and I was sick of looking at turbo dyke trooper bitch roughly 2 nanoseconds after seeing her for the first time.

Silence of the Caribou Fargo of Antarctica But Set in Alaska perfectly describes this shit .

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Pretty good first episode. Lots of tension through the lighting and music and just the idea of it being dark 24-7 and the "if you go outside you will die" aspect really adds to it as well. Don't think there's been many shows/movies made in that kind of environment but it's an interesting idea.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Giving the first episode a cautious and generous 6/10. Mostly due to Jody Foster being great.

This felt like more of a twilight zone episode. So much supernatural, visions, and ghost stuff. I think the first season was so incredible because you had horrible people that were wrapped up in wacked out religious beliefs. Thus, their horrible actions. Here you have everyone getting a taste of the supernatural. Scientists, both main characters (woken from their sleep with messages from the supernatural), an old lady that literally sees the dead, etc.

Unless you are a horror movie, the best way to handle these topics is subtlety. But apparently, in this day and age, audiences need to you smash them over the head to the point of concussion with it. It is a "show, don't tell" audience these days.

Also, fuck CGI. The reindeer and the polar bear where terrible. 99% of CGi is lazy and terrible. HBO is supposed to be better than that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Glad to hear this show is getting good again. That's exciting to hear. Glad people are enjoying it. Makes me look forward to just watching season 1 again at some point.

• 1Seriously?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
The thing most people seem to forget is the 'True Detective' literary genre is straight up old school dime store pulp trash.

It's not Conan Doyle or Dashiell Hammet it's closer to a Tarantino script with a much smaller vocabulary. The shit aint supposed to be GRR Martin.

True_Detective_magazine_cover_October_1961_issue.jpg

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

That movie is still fucking scary, probably one of the biggest reasons COVID panic worked on a lot of people who grew up watching it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
That this got bumped and made me think I should rewatch season 1 again? Yes...?
I started rewatching them a few weeks ago, went 1, 3, now in middle of 2 (that's the way the rank in order to me).

Me & the wife watched S4E1 last night and I stopped it at the beginning because I thought I had the wrong show. Then it occured to me I got it confused with Fargo , and I was looking for the 'this is a true story' thing. LOL

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'd rewatch S2 but S3 has no re-watch value to me-- regardless if it's technically better than S2.

Despite Dorff's performance it's just a police procedural I can get from standard cable networks like FX. It looks like S4 is going to be more in line with S1 and S2, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Jodie Foster's character sounds a lot like a Mary Sue to me, unfortunately. I know everything about everything.

She's not as bad as the trailer, but her low energy delivery doesn't work for a good portion of her dialogue.

Mary Sue plus low energy is just weird.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Jodie Foster's character sounds a lot like a Mary Sue to me, unfortunately. I know everything about everything.

That's pretty much been the majority of Foster's career. She can pull it off because of her thin veneer of non-femininity hiding the bull dyke underneath.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
How many shots of The Thing dvd did they need at the beginning, lol.

Yeah we get it, there's similarities