True Detective

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For some reason I thought this was 8 episodes, not only 6. Guess they're really going to have to tie this up quick.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Glad Navarro got her ass beat by those dudes. She deserved it.

Also Leah is insufferable. Let this bitch pay for her stupidity already.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No clue whats going on but has the FoH approved. Hopefully last episode isn't S2 bad

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For some reason I thought this was 8 episodes, not only 6. Guess they're really going to have to tie this up quick.
Same.

I think the show is in trouble after this last episode. With only 2 left to wrap everything up, they are going to have to do their best work of the season just to bring it to a fitting end.

It continues to be a horror flick knock-off with jump scares, ghosts, and screaming dead bodies. It is a choice that betrays the franchise and the 3 previous seasons of what TD was before this writer/director took the reigns. But it was her choice to make. I am sure HBO was willing to take the chance and try to bring in a younger (dumber) audience because Pizzalotsa had already pretty much ruined the franchise with season 2 & 3.

As for Episode 4, the arc with the suicidal sister was pretty terrible. We don't care about this blue haired bitch. She was a plot device to give Navarro some fuel, emotion, and empathy. The way she snuck out of the hospital, jumps in the ocean, and is found randomly by the coast guard the same night is bananas. You can only "hand-wave" so many things before you writing feels lazy and bad. Once that happens, the audience starts to feel like we are no longer in the hands of an expert and things go off the rails.

Also, in S1 Rust & Marty were deeply flawed characters, but they didn't feel pathetic. Danver's and Navarro felt a bit pathetic this episode. Danver's getting drunk and assigning her lackies to do her busy work. Then tries to hookup with her boss, gets denied, drives drunk and wreck's her car because she saw a polar bear ghost. Great work there chief...

Navarro picks a losing fight with 3 guys and fucking destroyed. Ok cool. Then she goes batshit crazy, see's more ghosts/hallucinations and does the opposite of having her partners back in a chase sequence, where her one job is to have her partners back. Again, great work...

They are going to have to do a lot to bring this to a satisfying conclusion. Because it is probably the Mine poisoned the drinking water, now the entire town is going crazy and seeing ghosts and doing loony shit to one another. That isn't that interesting.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
In episode 6 you find out that the entire season was someone's hallucination from huffing caribou piss at the research station, or drinking the tainted water

• 1Worf

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
In episode 6 you find out that the entire season was someone's hallucination from huffing caribou piss at the research station, or drinking the tainted water
would probably be a better ending than we will be getting sadly

• 1Solidarity

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Skip seasons 2 and 3, I'm telling you. I watched like half of each one before I realized my mistake. S4 is great so far though.
I did like how season 3 wrapped it up though, that was good. Was just kind of a slog to get there

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Hope everybody dies and Cthulhu reigns over Alaska.

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Same.

I think the show is in trouble after this last episode. With only 2 left to wrap everything up, they are going to have to do their best work of the season just to bring it to a fitting end.

It continues to be a horror flick knock-off with jump scares, ghosts, and screaming dead bodies. It is a choice that betrays the franchise and the 3 previous seasons of what TD was before this writer/director took the reigns. But it was her choice to make. I am sure HBO was willing to take the chance and try to bring in a younger (dumber) audience because Pizzalotsa had already pretty much ruined the franchise with season 2 & 3.

As for Episode 4, the arc with the suicidal sister was pretty terrible. We don't care about this blue haired bitch. She was a plot device to give Navarro some fuel, emotion, and empathy. The way she snuck out of the hospital, jumps in the ocean, and is found randomly by the coast guard the same night is bananas. You can only "hand-wave" so many things before you writing feels lazy and bad. Once that happens, the audience starts to feel like we are no longer in the hands of an expert and things go off the rails.

Also, in S1 Rust & Marty were deeply flawed characters, but they didn't feel pathetic. Danver's and Navarro felt a bit pathetic this episode. Danver's getting drunk and assigning her lackies to do her busy work. Then tries to hookup with her boss, gets denied, drives drunk and wreck's her car because she saw a polar bear ghost. Great work there chief...

Navarro picks a losing fight with 3 guys and fucking destroyed. Ok cool. Then she goes batshit crazy, see's more ghosts/hallucinations and does the opposite of having her partners back in a chase sequence, where her one job is to have her partners back. Again, great work...

They are going to have to do a lot to bring this to a satisfying conclusion. Because it is probably the Mine poisoned the drinking water, now the entire town is going crazy and seeing ghosts and doing loony shit to one another. That isn't that interesting.

I agree with all of this. They can't even make a plotline that will last 6 episodes so it feels like they have to make up random bullshit to pad it. Oh let's have Danvers get drunk and do drunk shit for an episode, oh hey let's kill Navarro's sister to pad the running time. I don't care about Navarro's sister. She is unimportant to the plot.

I agree with you that finding a body at night in Alaska waters on same night would be Impossible but also does coast guard even do patrols on Christmas Eve in Alaska?

All this shit is so contrived

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I was optimistic, but they only get 6 episodes?

No way they resolve the supernatural plotline in a satisfying way. They're either gonna scooby doo it or - much worse - ""leave it up to the audience to decide what was real"", the laziest hack ever invented by Hollywood.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ive really enjoyed this season so far. I like all the supernatural elements. But this last episode was a letdown. The show is barely even about them finding out what happened to all the frozen scientists.

• 3Like

Juvarisx

Florida
Yep even I thought the 4th episode was bad and I actually like this silly ass show. Supernatural works when its not screaming ghost jump scare, it works like the dude in the hospital bed turns into possessed by demon man that was creepy not jump scary. This is more like American Horror Story then anything else after that episode, maybe they can reign it in, but if spooky ghost ends up being ghost child then I really dont get the point.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ive really enjoyed this season so far. I like all the supernatural elements. But this last episode was a letdown. The show is barely even about them finding out what happened to all the frozen scientists.
This my main issue. The last two episodes have had very little progress on solving the cases.

• 3Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
The show is barely even about them finding out what happened to all the frozen scientists.
100% agreed.

its 55 minutes of barely relevant filler bullshit, and then the last 5 minutes they get back to the actual murder mystery and end it with a cliffhanger

tiresome

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Watched the latest episode last night. I still think it might be some ancient virus that makes people go crazy from the whale bones or whatever, but I do like the theory that it's tainted water from the evil mining company, they just haven't shown anything with people drinking water, so the jury is still out on that one. Just no hints or foreshadowing about water, you figure at least somebody would say "man this water tastes weird!"

The one thing I did realize after getting through that slog of an episode is that there simply isn't any likeable characters. I was trying to give the show a chance, but probably realized it sooner.

Jodi - good actor, but utterly detestable, yeah I'm supposed to have sympathy because she lost her little boy or something

Cheek piercings - she's at least a little bit more interesting, but PTSD veteran has made her a girl boss bitch, oh and her mom died, and her sister's crazy, so I have to be sympathetic to her plight.

Mail order bride dad - doesn't move the plot whatsoever, just filler

Obedient cop son - he's just a device for exposition because he did the research on the internet because that's what kids are good at. Jodi I even think told him that in an episode.

That guys wife - who cares about their marriage turmoil with him working long hours

Cheek piercings sister - red herring for magical curse, schizophrenia, but has only maybe had 10 minutes total screen time, so what do I care that that she falls into the ocean

Bar owner guy - maybe the only sympathetic character because he's trying to be a good man, but he's simping so hard on the cheek piercings.

Mysterious professor lady - interesting because I think she'll end up having some important element to the plot, but all she is is mysterious professor lady, but she did make a big holiday feast

Dr.Who - politician that enjoys getting laid

I think that's about all of them. If I missed anybody important, sorry. I really don't care what happens to any of them, and that's a pretty bad sign if your audience just doesn't care.

It just seems like every episode is like Araysar Araysar said, contrived drama that's supposed to make you give two shits about these people, but it doesn't work. Then you just sprinkle in these mystery boxes, fuck you Abrahams, and have a creepy ghost / hallucination somewhere towards the climax of the episode. Just so much of every episode is just boring BS, and you're supposed to get excited waiting for the big clue.

I'm really starting to think they just had some stupid idea and wrote themselves into a corner. Instead relying upon the actors and the setting, which if there's any standout portion of the show it's definitely the setting itself, perfect backdrop for a well-crafted story. Let's deviate from the procedural crime drama in the past and make it supernatural, because that's what the fans wanted.

It's not going to pan out to be something supernatural. Ancient whale disease is still on my bingo card. We still haven't seen the vault door that they show in the opening credits, and that'll probably be saved for next episode or the finale.

Also, there seems to be a big lack of any sort of musical score to the series, instead it's a bunch of shitty pop songs but I've never heard before, but anytime there's a dramatic moment, hey let's play a song from bitch singing through pitch modulation. It's jarring and overused.

I think I might go back and rewatch the first three seasons. One is great, two I at least enjoyed even with its flaws, but I don't remember much about three. I do know the characters in all of those three seasons were a hell of a lot more interesting and at least relatable.

Sorry for the long rant. I just haven't really watched a TV show in a long time because most of it's crap, I was kind of excited about this series but it's really shaping up to be a waste of time. I'm sure I'll watch the last two just to see how the hell they might try to wrap this cluster fuck up, I want to know if it's the ancient disease infects everybody and they all go crazy.

Edit: forgot

Fat lesbian Eskimo daughter - oppressed person who committed statutory rape, but she's also an environmental activist, which forgives those other sins.

Whole goddamn show just reeks of women being involved with every aspect.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Tiresome

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I agree with all of this. They can't even make a plotline that will last 6 episodes so it feels like they have to make up random bullshit to pad it. Oh let's have Danvers get drunk and do drunk shit for an episode, oh hey let's kill Navarro's sister to pad the running time. I don't care about Navarro's sister. She is unimportant to the plot.

I agree with you that finding a body at night in Alaska waters on same night would be Impossible but also does coast guard even do patrols on Christmas Eve in Alaska?

All this shit is so contrived
No way they were out at night just floating around. Someone would have had to report it to them. It's still gay as fuck though.

Also I think for sure the contaminated water has to be making people see shit. No way they are trying to pass all this bullshit off as really real.

• 1Like