Trying really hard not to fuck anyone or get them fired but...

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Back when I was in college we had this dude crash at our place for a week who went by the name "Traveling Tom". He was a semi-creepy older guy that was probably in his 40s or so, and not only did he get all his meals free doing shit like this, he actually made a living scamming from stores. He would do shit like walk into a Wal-Mart, grab an expensive pack of razors off the shelf and walk them right up to the return counter. Despite having no receipt, he had his "mad customer" routine down well enough that the manager would inevitably get involved and refund him cash or store credit just to get rid of him. He'd end up hitting every store in the area before moving on to the next town, hence his "Traveling Tom" name.

This was close to 20 years ago before they had everything computerized, so I'd guess it's much harder to pull stuff like this off now. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if that dude is still out there in some town pulling his scams.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Seriously though if it keeps happening at the same restaurant maybe the fryer is fucked up and they need to get it repaired.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Back when I was in college we had this dude crash at our place for a week who went by the name "Traveling Tom". He was a semi-creepy older guy that was probably in his 40s or so, and not only did he get all his meals free doing shit like this, he actually made a living scamming from stores. He would do shit like walk into a Wal-Mart, grab an expensive pack of razors off the shelf and walk them right up to the return counter. Despite having no receipt, he had his "mad customer" routine down well enough that the manager would inevitably get involved and refund him cash or store credit just to get rid of him. He'd end up hitting every store in the area before moving on to the next town, hence his "Traveling Tom" name.

This was close to 20 years ago before they had everything computerized, so I'd guess it's much harder to pull stuff like this off now. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if that dude is still out there in some town pulling his scams.
I work weekends at a grocery store, people get away with it daily. People doing the razor blade or baby formula scams we never give in to though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I work weekends at a grocery store, people get away with it daily. People doing the razor blade or baby formula scams we never give in to though.
Don't most stores keep razor blades behind a locked display case nowadays anyway? I know the walmarts around town here all do.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Don't most stores keep razor blades behind a locked display case nowadays anyway? I know the walmarts around town here all do.
that really depends on your area over here in CT at least in my town they arent locked up, you find em next to the shaving cream and shit, in any cvs/rite aid/walgreens/grocery store.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I heard a guy on a podcast the other day talking about his days as a waiter and he said the worst thing he ever saw was a waitress came back to the kitchen and said "I fucking hate this family" and then proceed to shove one of their breadsticks into the front of her panties and pull it out the back. All I could think of was her boyfriend going down on her later that night and going "do I taste butter and parmesan?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Varies here depending on the neighborhood. Our store has the razorblades in this case that customers can open but when they do it makes a loud beeping noise, and if it is held open for more than 15 seconds it sounds like an alarm. Seriously not making that up. The baby food dispenses one can of formula at a time and can only hold about 6 on the shelf. Constantly have to get it from the back.

I've been to other stores of our brand in less-than-stellar neighborhoods and they have baby formula and razors locked in cases that associates have to open. The Walmart up the street doesn't lock anything up and it's the shittiest walmart I've ever been to as far as scumbag customers go.

You could probably get away with small stuff, generally the store doesn't put up much of a fight. If you come in with a bag of lobsters and say you bought them here and want a refund with no receipt we'll probably just stall you while we call the cops if you look suspicious.

We often get people stealing carriages of meat and selling it to the chinese food place across the street, really blatant about it. I stopped a guy with $700 worth of steaks in a carriage attempting to walk out the front door. He just raised his arms in a "oops" sort of way and ran out as fast as he could without the carriage.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Varies here depending on the neighborhood. Our store has the razorblades in this case that customers can open but when they do it makes a loud beeping noise, and if it is held open for more than 15 seconds it sounds like an alarm. Seriously not making that up. The baby food dispenses one can of formula at a time and can only hold about 6 on the shelf. Constantly have to get it from the back.

I've been to other stores of our brand in less-than-stellar neighborhoods and they have baby formula and razors locked in cases that associates have to open. The Walmart up the street doesn't lock anything up and it's the shittiest walmart I've ever been to as far as scumbag customers go.

You could probably get away with small stuff, generally the store doesn't put up much of a fight. If you come in with a bag of lobsters and say you bought them here and want a refund with no receipt we'll probably just stall you while we call the cops if you look suspicious.

We often get people stealing carriages of meat and selling it to the chinese food place across the street, really blatant about it. I stopped a guy with $700 worth of steaks in a carriage attempting to walk out the front door. He just raised his arms in a "oops" sort of way and ran out as fast as he could without the carriage.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Bros, having worked in restaurants for 10 years, I doubt too much is going to happen about 2 pieces of raw chicken in a 2 year span.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Both, and it wouldn't matter in either case. Corporate chains get complaints every single day. Like I said, 2 pieces of undercooked food in 2 years is not going to create some huge ruckus. The health department isn't going to come in and give everyone 25 to life and the bigwigs aren't going to restaff their store. Even if it was a family owned place that did it, he said it was like 18 fucking months apart with a completely different staff. If it happened 4 times in the same week then maybe something would happen.

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
From my expertise on food (watching Gordon Ramsay on TV) undercooked chicken is kind of a big deal. Maybe next time just eat that shit and get sick (go play in a sewer afterwards if you have to) and you may come out a rich man on the other side.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Good comparison between a fancy restaurant and a fast food joint. I'm sure most fast food places have 5 star standards and their name on the line.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yes, yes it could. I think Gordon Ramsay might care a bit more tho than McDonalds corporate who get 750000000 complaints a month. Once again, some guy got raw chicken at a fast food place, didn't eat it, got a replacement meal (maybe he was treated poorly by management, whatever) and that's that. Gordon Ramsay has to worry about losing his restaurant, all McDonalds (or whatever corporation) has to worry about is a lawsuit (what lawsuit? he didn't eat it or get sick.). The best case scenario is after some bitching to corporate he gets a $10 gift card and an apology letter typed out by some admin assistant 9-5ing it for $12 an hour.

Never once did I say it wasn't dangerous serving raw chicken. All i've said is you've got to be stupid to think you're going to get some place shut down or cause a big ruckus because you got a piece of raw chicken 2 times in 2 years.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Raw chicken will kill you. An attempt at your life has been taken. Twice.

You know what must be done.