Twin Peaks

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My reaction to the finale:

giphy.gif

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I'm really hoping for a season 4...but also that ending would be par for the course for Lynch

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Yeah, I'm not sure why I thought there would be a cohesive conclusion for even a second.

Lg7Z7SZ.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Another season sounds like a maybe right now, according to a few sites. I sure hope so.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Last I read was the Showtime pres saying they hadn't even discussed future seasons/episodes. Lynch is an old guy, and they fought tooth and nail to get this made, for years. I'd imagine that this was their vision and the end, barring some kind of miracle.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
God, that had the perfect ending, when they replayed the first scene of season one and Laura wasn't on the beach. It just came an hour too soon.

Then fucking Lynch went and Dark Towered it for an hour. He fucking straight up Dark Towered it and I can barely believe it. If you haven't read the Dark Tower, you just got the ending spoiled courtesy of David Lynch.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Theory from Reddit:

• last scene was a dream
  • Laura in 1989 is the dreamer
  • Cooper asks what year is it
  • Laura's mother calls out to her from the waking world
  • Laura recognizes her mother's voice and realize she's dreaming
  • she screams and wakes up back in 1989 the morning they would have found her body had Cooper not had changed the past

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Part of me is glad Lynch didn't go full pandering and wrap everything up nicely which he certainly would have been pressured to do just about anywhere else, though leaving Audrey's storyline basically unfinished made little to no sense beyond the over arching theme of dreams. Least Fire Walk with Me makes a lot more sense now and that the line of "two birds one stone" was maybe not so much about Bob but the Magician and Jumping Man from the film.

Also found out that Alice at the end is the actual owner of the Palmer house IRL.

• 1Worf

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Theory from Reddit:

• last scene was a dream
  • Laura in 1989 is the dreamer
  • Cooper asks what year is it
  • Laura's mother calls out to her from the waking world
  • Laura recognizes her mother's voice and realize she's dreaming
  • she screams and wakes up back in 1989 the morning they would have found her body had Cooper not had changed the past
This makes sense. It is deeply unsatisfying in that it leaves so much content that they just barely scratched the surface of. But Lynch has been pretty public, and blatant in the material, in his utilization and love for Laura. To him, Laura is the story, she's everything. So I can see how he would leave stuff like Audrey so incomplete and still feel like he had fulfilled his mission.

I have hope for another series and will rewatch this one in a few months. I like parts of it, others i just don't understand at all.

Edit: another point I saw on Reddit was that none of this is over for Laura. She is still trapped in a life that made her want to die, her father raping her and her mother... whatever the fuck is going on there. Coop only stopped her death but he didn't change anything. Unless we assume that killing Bob killed Bob in all timelines. But in Coops vision from FWWM, he saw Leland and Leland was definitely out to rape and murder.

Idk, too much open to interpretation to make a concrete synopsis of what happened.

• 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Only criticism is the uneventfulness of several episodes but as it drew near the end holy hot dang it got good. Bad binoculars, I am the FBI and it ain't Twin Peaks without Audrey's dance.

My interpretation so far is Coop entered a different timeline where Judy managed to hide Laura Palmer after he attempted to save her. Judy is the big bad not Bob. In one timeline Laura never died but Judy hid her in the finale's new timeline. Coop is no longer Dale Cooper, Diane is Linda and Laura is Carrie Page. There were a couple of easter eggs such as Ms Chalfont/Tremond. The finale was a clusterfuck worthy of that memorable ending so many years ago.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It sounds like Showtime is trying to push Lynch for more but Lynch won't commit, for whatever reason. From an "ending" point of view, I think that is more disappointing than what we had previously. From an experience point of view though, sure, I get it.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ending was meh. The stupid power glove punching evil orbs was just silly. Lynch clearly didn't know how to end the series so he just went with the alternate universe gag.

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
Finally got around to watching season 3. I found the end coherent just amazingly cynical.

The way I see it is that Cooper and whoever was inside either of the lodges at the end is trapped and totally fucked. Audrey, Coop, Leland, Laura and anyone else visible in the final scenes are essentially garmonbozia farms ( the literal manifestation of pain and sorrow that the evil spirits sustain themselves with, shown earlier in the series as creamed corn , lol Lynch ).

I interpreted every location Cooper was in after Bob got punched to death ( lol again Lynch ) as part of the Black Lodge. He goes to the motel with Diane in one car and leaves in another the next morning, no one else visible on the roads, zipping in and out of different times, dream like details of nonsense "430 miles" and so on. Cooper tried to save Laura but ultimately could not, they are the Black Lodges playthings.

Half way through season 3 during the nuke scene, the white entity thingy I presume is "Jowday // Joudy // Judy " barfs out Bob and zillions of other evil seeds like its nothing. I assume she is the white ghost that, apparently, can literally do whatever the fuck it wants at any time, hence the symbol on Hawk's map being something that "you don't wanna know about". Judy can manipulate time, inhabit people at will permanently, cannot be contained, studied and maybe even seen without it affecting the viewer. I'm not certain of this but I think Andy was the only person in the entire story that saw her and did not have his soul ripped out of his skull, or set to burn for eternity, or was put in a demon tea kettle, or had his throat bit open, or raped a million times by his dad so his suffering soul could be converted into creamed corn for a demon midget to sloppily eat it. ( oh you, Lynch )

After waiting so long and personally really hoping Cooper could escape and have some sort of good ending, the scene of him seated in the Red Room was BRUTAL. He sees it coming, too, that superimposed view of his face is not a static image but what I believe is him realizing where he is in real time. I must admit that despite how shitty his fate was Coop managed to save quite a few people directly, like Jane-E and Sonny Jim, and probably thousands indirectly by stopping his doppleganger. Evil Coop was filling graveyards everywhere he went, so there was some measure of victory for Cooper. In the final scene we are led to think, 'yes!' he went back in time and saved Laura! Oops nope they're just in hell, sike! I believe that is Lynch's message, evil is a giant immutable thing that will crush us all someday, so we might as well just valiantly struggle against it by say enjoying French hookers or building a kid a cool gym set. Yay.

Lynch did to the audience what he did to his characters, make us wait and wait building up hope that Cooper could somehow stop an increasingly complicated evil force and then he smushed the hope. Well done.

• 2Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've come around more to the side of thinking that the entire ending was the Fireman's plot to catch/defeat/outwit Judy. Coop isn't acting on his own volition, he's basically acting as a proxy for the Fireman. Whatever the Fireman is, he's in opposition to Judy. I just don't really understand if the plan was successful or not. Or if that even matters, really.

• 1Like