Twitch.tv

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
To me like 90% of entertainment value of a streamer is the chat and the streamers chat interaction and I enjoy Summits sperg chat and his interactions with it.

The other 10% are the people the streamer plays games with and interactions with those people. Summit has decently entertaining people playing with him.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
At least summit has a personality. Shroud? Whew, I think I've seen more personality in a morgue.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Like I've said before, Summit is McDonald's of streaming. He ain't the best, but he's there and he's consistent. (except the 3 months he didn't stream lul). There are better skilled players and funnier players, but they're usually super niched. Summit plays a lot of FPS and some other games and he's not the wittiest, but he's a dude you can just watch and not have to engage with. Sometimes the more entertaining streamers you almost want to join in the chat memes and shit like Moon, but Summit is like the equivalent of putting a TV on in the background while you game. He's just there.

He's actually very good at FPS but he's gone full Doc and every game he plays "WOULD BE A MILLION TIMES BETTER IF I WAS RUNNING THIS STUDIO!" He was really good at Tarkov because he'd do dumb shit and it'd work out, but he'd always say like "I should go extract, but you know what, I'm going for the full greed" and some of the shit that happened from that was amazing. Just him without limbs fighting teams of 4 and winning. Just throwing away millions and millions in gear because he killed so many people and then him missing the extract by 7 seconds because he has a limp and he wasted too much time. Great stuff.

Glad he got a guaranteed deal. I mean it's fucking AMAZING Microsoft didn't throw HUGE sums of money at him for mixer (they probably did) because he SINGLE-HANDEDLY kept Sea of Thieves alive. I'm not exaggerating in any way. He wanted to play it one day, got real good, invented new metas, and went from like 14k subs from the end of his GTA run to 35k on SEA OF FUCKING THIEVES. There were maybe 1000 viewers in that category before he started and he was getting a consistent 25k+ viewers watching him and he helped out the other "good" Sea streamers.

I get people who don't like him, but dude is definitely a grinder. Gotta respect that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
i think he legit cares about keeping viewers more than a bigger payday, pretty sure he'd turn down a slightly higher potential payday from mixer or elsewhere to stay unless it was an insane offer
Doc explained it best, i think he said something like, going to mixer was good short term, but for the long run, it would ruin his brand and to him that wasnt worth it. Something like that anyways. I dont hear shit about Ninja and Shroud anymore. I dont even know anyone that goes to mixer at all.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
The opposite for me. I have read more things about the both of them since joined they Mixer.

One of the defining parts about twitch is the user experience. On first glance to a person visiting these sites for the first time, Mixer is about players, twitch is about games.

1590592843669.png

Same with Youtube Gaming:

1590592905527.png

If I wanna find someone on youtube or mixer playing Minecraft that is family friendly, on youtube I can't even filter based on considerations like "Family Friendly", Mixer has that functionality but the experience just doesn't seem very seamless.

Where as with twitch, you are instantly put in a place where you can find people streaming something you may find interesting.

1590592789134.png

---

Tinfoil hat thoughts, I feel like other platforms are trying to break into a space that's already been broken into but they are all trying to bring their own flair into it without stepping on twitches toes. Bitch, steal ideas...twitch does.

You look at the Mixer thing of "Community interaction" and see that twitch added that functionality as well, Twitch added clips (a-la youtube) a WHILE ago, but for some reason these other sites are basically stopping cold on copying twitch.

I'm waiting for twitch to implement a leveling system for accounts like mixer has, would fix a TON of issues they have with "toxic communities" (I don't agree with their toxic take...but it's a logical conclusion for them). People wouldn't allow accounts under level X to chat in their channel and people at that level of account wouldn't wanna get banned from twitch so they would self censor.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Stealing ideas has kept the cell phone market thriving for years. iOS and Android wouldn't be near as good as they are if they didn't blatantly steal features from each other.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Stealing ideas has kept the cell phone market thriving for years. iOS and Android wouldn't be near as good as they are if they didn't blatantly steal features from each other.

For real, corporate inbreeding basically makes IP theft nearly REQUIRED for tech (Hardware and Software) advancement.

I think that big companies are slowing their "IP" theft game mainly because my term "Corporate Inbreeding" is being extended out of individual business and now extending to the tech industry as a whole.

People don't steal (in a meaningful way) from other tech businesses because they want to possibly work for those places later.

I termed "Corporate Inbreeding" a while back due to the "Fail Upwards" and "Diversity" movements going on at most these tech places. You essentially have a pool of people at the top that are devoid of all critical thinking and are basically personified "Yes Men" such that they are no different from a person that they love to mock and deride, inbred rednecks. There isn't critical thinking anymore because that is "insensitive and fosters a bad work environment" (almost a direct quote from a douchebag I MMO'd with that was manager of sorts at Facebook). Now you can basically extend that phrase of "Corporate Inbreeding" to "Industry Inbreeding" because they are nearly synonymous at this point.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Say what you will about Steve Jobs, he did have some great ideas. I don't care if it was to hack together some two seemingly un-hackable parts of technology and create a new product. Most companies these days lack that level of entrepreneurship and are actively going out of their way to squash it. It's like they enjoy eating their own shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Like I've said before, Summit is McDonald's of streaming. He ain't the best, but he's there and he's consistent. (except the 3 months he didn't stream lul). There are better skilled players and funnier players, but they're usually super niched. Summit plays a lot of FPS and some other games and he's not the wittiest, but he's a dude you can just watch and not have to engage with. Sometimes the more entertaining streamers you almost want to join in the chat memes and shit like Moon, but Summit is like the equivalent of putting a TV on in the background while you game. He's just there.

He's actually very good at FPS but he's gone full Doc and every game he plays "WOULD BE A MILLION TIMES BETTER IF I WAS RUNNING THIS STUDIO!" He was really good at Tarkov because he'd do dumb shit and it'd work out, but he'd always say like "I should go extract, but you know what, I'm going for the full greed" and some of the shit that happened from that was amazing. Just him without limbs fighting teams of 4 and winning. Just throwing away millions and millions in gear because he killed so many people and then him missing the extract by 7 seconds because he has a limp and he wasted too much time. Great stuff.

Glad he got a guaranteed deal. I mean it's fucking AMAZING Microsoft didn't throw HUGE sums of money at him for mixer (they probably did) because he SINGLE-HANDEDLY kept Sea of Thieves alive. I'm not exaggerating in any way. He wanted to play it one day, got real good, invented new metas, and went from like 14k subs from the end of his GTA run to 35k on SEA OF FUCKING THIEVES. There were maybe 1000 viewers in that category before he started and he was getting a consistent 25k+ viewers watching him and he helped out the other "good" Sea streamers.

I get people who don't like him, but dude is definitely a grinder. Gotta respect that.
Doc I have a love hate relationship with.

When he's good, he's fuckin good. But when he's losing he's so whiny about how the game cheated him, or this dude is stream sniping, or whatever excuse he wants.

Also doc has a very over the top polish that comes from a corporation behind him. It makes it feel artificial, like I'm watching a TV show instead of a guy playing video games.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
It makes it feel artificial, like I'm watching a TV show instead of a guy playing video games.

I mean...he IS artificial.

He's a character, as such that character feels sanitized, for the most part, because millions of dollars has been invested into him. Kinda makes me sad because his character is a douchebag and is marketed towards and meant to appeal to kids, any kids watching him will try to emulate him which means we get a billion k-mart doc's running around in FPS games over voice-coms. The stream will suffer if he doesn't find a way to pivot to something else as he ages out of being able to competitively keep up with people.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Miami Vice plays video games. I know exactly how you feel Noodleface Noodleface .

Meh, he's already aging out. Have you watched the stream of him and Summit going head to head? Spoiler alert, summit kicks his ass. That's not to say that the Doc isn't good though. It's like these kids are caught up in nostalgia for something in which they can't even remember.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If Lirik did jump to Mixer instead of staying with Twitch, I would still watch him over them. I find it dumb to be beholden to one site. Sites are literally a couple mouse clicks away, and not 5 miles or so away like IRL to get to alternatives.

Mixer is actually a good website, it's just I haven't found anyone there I want to watch.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I don't understand how Summit is so popular. He's pretty boring, imho.

I haven't watched him lately, but it's crazy how he manages to create content out of games I never would watch otherwise. I could give two shits about Sea of Thieves, but man when Summit was going hard on that like a year ago the content he was making was just hilarious to watch.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
If Lirik did jump to Mixer instead of staying with Twitch, I would still watch him over them. I find it dumb to be beholden to one site. Sites are literally a couple mouse clicks away, and not 5 miles or so away like IRL to get to alternatives.

Mixer is actually a good website, it's just I haven't found anyone there I want to watch.

I would love it if streamers I watch moved to mixer - twitch needs competition

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

The problem is there is big money floating through twitch. For someone like me, they're taking half of my sub money (barely any, take that Twitch!). But even for the big guys, they are making a fuckload per month. It makes sense to lock people in.

I think you can multistream with OBS, so i wonder if people actually do that.

Xevy

Log Wizard
If you're partnered with Twitch you're not allowed to stream to other platforms. I think affiliates still can.

Twitch is the long term (currently) if you want to grow your brand and popularity. If you put the work in, it's 100% worth it over mixer. If you want a payday and want to coast you sell out to Mixer.

A lot of these smarters high-end streamers probably want to be able to parlay into New Media jobs after they're done vidya gamin'. Run podcasts or whatever the fuck for decent money with sponsors if they're famous enough. Sit down and talk for 2 hours 3 times a week for the same pay rather than slogging 8 hour video games at the will of Twitch chat 5+ times a week.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The problem is there is big money floating through twitch. For someone like me, they're taking half of my sub money (barely any, take that Twitch!). But even for the big guys, they are making a fuckload per month. It makes sense to lock people in.

I think you can multistream with OBS, so i wonder if people actually do that.
There are definitely a lot of small people who do that