Twitch.tv

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This take is... yikes.

Such a stupid take. These streamers are making the developers money. I've bought many games that I wouldn't have just because I caught someone streaming the game on Twitch. I think the dude is salty that Amazon owns Twitch and not Google.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I agree with him but acknowledge I could be completely wrong. I know I personally purchase and play less games because I can throw on a let's play youtube, or a twitch stream in the background and feel like i've gotten enough from that game w/o playing it.

I think game devs get way more free advertising dollars vs loss of sales, so it would be dumb, but I think they'd have a legal argument to stop streaming of their games if they were stupid enough to want to do it.
They have a legal argument of course, but it's a symbiotic relationship. They're getting something in return for people streaming their game along with the labour that comes with the process. Requiring a license for the process would only result in one thing: Picking and choosing "friendly" streamers that are going to suck up to the publishers, while everyone else gets the shaft.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Shit like Fall Guys, Among Us, and that phantasmawhatever ghost hunt game are helped massively by Twitch. It’s the virtual equivalent of your friend getting a game and you watch them play it and buy it, except on a massive scale. I’ve lost count of the games I’ve bought after watching streamers play it.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Shit like Fall Guys, Among Us, and that phantasmawhatever ghost hunt game are helped massively by Twitch. It’s the virtual equivalent of your friend getting a game and you watch them play it and buy it, except on a massive scale. I’ve lost count of the games I’ve bought after watching streamers play it.

This. In fact I can't think of a game I have bought in the last 2 years at least, outside of WoW xpac, that i didn't either discover because of a twitch streamer or at least watch a stream first to decide if I should buy it.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Imagine the streamers having to be nice to the companies in their reviews too just to continue their licensing. You'd just have a bunch of stooge-ism. You'd have the Nintendo simps and the COD simps and the Fortnite simps etc that only give positive reviews even on sub-par content.

If they think they're not benefiting from free exposure to hundreds of thousands, if not MILLIONS, of potential players they're out of their mind.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Imagine the streamers having to be nice to the companies in their reviews too just to continue their licensing. You'd just have a bunch of stooge-ism. You'd have the Nintendo simps and the COD simps and the Fortnite simps etc that only give positive reviews even on sub-par content.

Sooooo game journalism.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Game studios clearly know the games streamers play are free publicity for their games, but I am 100% sure they are also very aware that if they wanted too, they could dmca the shit out of a streamer for broadcasting their game. Imagine Sony USA getting pissed at a streamer because they weren't progressive enough... they could say "Nope, no more of that game for you!", and the streamer couldn't do anything about it.

Cybsled

They could, but it would be suicide. It isn’t like music...multiplayer games or complex single player games really benefit from hands on, which requires purchase (or playerbase for f2p). Cosmetics and micro transactions for skins are the gamer equivalent of some person seeing a celeb wear a brand of jeans and wanting to wear it. Another company would swoop in and say “you guys can stream our shit for free”. I mean fuck, they currently PAY streamers to play their games on stream sometimes.

It is a completely different beast than an album or a movie. I love the movie Starship Troopers, but I’m not watching it a few hours every night for years.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Sooooo game journalism.
Pretty much. I don't think I've looked at video game review besides the TL:DR and score in like 10 years and even then they're mostly shit. I mean if I see a 3/10 I'll probably skip it, but IGN or Kotaku or some shit giving it a 6.5/10 means literally nothing to me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
They could, but it would be suicide. It isn’t like music...multiplayer games or complex single player games really benefit from hands on, which requires purchase (or playerbase for f2p). Cosmetics and micro transactions for skins are the gamer equivalent of some person seeing a celeb wear a brand of jeans and wanting to wear it. Another company would swoop in and say “you guys can stream our shit for free”. I mean fuck, they currently PAY streamers to play their games on stream sometimes.

It is a completely different beast than an album or a movie. I love the movie Starship Troopers, but I’m not watching it a few hours every night for years.

"suicidal"

you realize that the gaming industry was larger than the movie industry BEFORE twitch

the fuck are you smoken

Szlia

I am not even sure video game developers have much of a legal ground to prevent people from streaming their games, because the streamer playing is akin to a performance that adds to the game, so fair use can apply. Now, if a streamer plays the game and just says it's a garbage game that no one should buy, fair use goes bye bye, because the use of the copyrighted material hurts its sales. That being said the concept of fair use is not universal.

Oldbased

> Than U
I'd be fine if all streamers, game devs, politicians and Domino's workers developed ass cancer.

• 1Truth!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Most devs are giving free copies to popular streamers before release day

Pretty sure that guy is just diarrheaing everywhere

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Even if streaming ultimately is covered by fair use that still doesn't matter. The DMCA system is built around the assumption of guilt (in super simple terms) and notices filed against someone need to be proven false by counter-claim, which starts a protracted legal battle that no individual is capable of winning.

That doesn't even touch on the fact that Twitch/YouTube etc are compelled to remove any content that claims are made against in order to protect their platform as a whole.