Twitch.tv

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Preroll ads being blocked (for now) is great when you're flipping over to check the Among Us sus and it immediately loads to show their red names.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I kinda hope they end up not being able to be blocked just to see what it does to viewership numbers, subs, tips, all of it. Will streamers jump ship to somewhere else or what

Just how badly does Twitch want to torpedo itself for ads

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah they definitely updated themselves again today, if i start getting any ads mid-stream i will stop watching period.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It hurts little streamers the most. I'm not going to endure a 30 second ad just to see if some stream is something I might want to watch (99% aren't)

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Word of the street is Lisa Su is involved in a child sex trafficking ring. Might want to avoid buying AMD for now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

I have no problem with advertisement as a concept, but I am not a fan of their implementation in Twitch. At the very core, I think there is a problem in trying to use early XXth century advertisement techniques in a XXIst century medium : it's a lazy and bad fit.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
They should just put them Picture in Picture style on the screen or built in somewhere with no sound and captions.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This might be the end boys, ads are embedded directly in to streams now:

foAlY1D.png

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
They should just put them Picture in Picture style on the screen or built in somewhere with no sound and captions.

Since the invention of the ESPN score scroller at the bottom of the screen I have been screaming to anyone that would listen that you could scroll advertisements all program long and no one would care. Then, widescreen TVs became the norm and they could shrink the program to 4:3 and have the ad on the side for 30 seconds - 1 minute without really impacting the visual experience; but it has never happened. Instead there is no one in advertising with an ounce of creativity that will acknowledge that everyone hates ads and for a certain percentage of the population ads actually give them a focus on what products to *not* buy.

• 2Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Since the invention of the ESPN score scroller at the bottom of the screen I have been screaming to anyone that would listen that you could scroll advertisements all program long and no one would care. Then, widescreen TVs became the norm and they could shrink the program to 4:3 and have the ad on the side for 30 seconds - 1 minute without really impacting the visual experience; but it has never happened. Instead there is no one in advertising with an ounce of creativity that will acknowledge that everyone hates ads and for a certain percentage of the population ads actually give them a focus on what products to *not* buy.

They have been testing this on and off in the past. They do it a lot with Golf and I've seen it on some NFL/College games last year. They do it like 100% in soccer. So someone out there is paying attention, they just haven't gone full throttle.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
They have been testing this on and off in the past. They do it a lot with Golf and I've seen it on some NFL/College games last year. They do it like 100% in soccer. So someone out there is paying attention, they just haven't gone full throttle.

The issue is that Twitch has more fucking dead real estate to work with than any TV advertiser. On the mobile they could have scroll bars embedded in the stream. They could have front page takeovers or offer bounties to streamers to sample and then talk about products. They are fucking Amazon and cannot figure out how to monetize internet traffic; it is pathetic.

• 2Like

Cybsled

The thing to keep in mind is Twitch is just responding to the DMCA complaints levied by the music labels, they aren't hunting for this shit on their own. But a musician being DMCA'd by his own label is pretty fucking lul and shows how fucking brain dead they are. Especially if they use algorithms - I recall some guy on Youtube, as an experiment, put up a video with white noise only and some company tried to DMCA strike the video for the sound of literally nothing.

As for Twitch ads, I wouldn't mind them if they were actually smart. Automatic Twitch ads almost ALWAYS drop at the worst time. If TV followed the same logic, it would be like the final plays of the Super Bowl and they decide to run an ad in real time while those plays are still happening, then you come back to find you missed shit.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot

I don't have a formal article to cite, but I've been hearing the GTA RP community is having troubles too because apparently the fucking police siren is getting DMCA stricken on twitch now, too and getting things muted that shouldn't be as well.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The thing to keep in mind is Twitch is just responding to the DMCA complaints levied by the music labels, they aren't hunting for this shit on their own. But a musician being DMCA'd by his own label is pretty fucking lul and shows how fucking brain dead they are. Especially if they use algorithms - I recall some guy on Youtube, as an experiment, put up a video with white noise only and some company tried to DMCA strike the video for the sound of literally nothing.

As for Twitch ads, I wouldn't mind them if they were actually smart. Automatic Twitch ads almost ALWAYS drop at the worst time. If TV followed the same logic, it would be like the final plays of the Super Bowl and they decide to run an ad in real time while those plays are still happening, then you come back to find you missed shit.
Performance royalties are a thing. Even if the guitarist is a writer of the song, royalties are still owed to the publisher.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Because the system is fucking retarded and always has been.
Explain. Why is it retarded that a record label receives royalties for a song that was created with studio time and producers they paid for and made famous by them paying to promote it and market the song and the band?

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider

Mike Shinoda was on itmejp's show Dropped Frames last week and they talked about DMCA. He was saying he can't play any of his music either due to constraints on the system. DMCA is automated so they can't go in and make exceptions for anyone. They had an interesting conversation about it.