Twitch.tv

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
When you think of all the efforts people take to avoids ads, how much effort goes into trying to force us to watch ads, and how the most valuable thing they can offer as part of their subscription service is the removal of ads...

It's like the old system of commercial breaks and forced advertising doesn't actually work. One might even say that a new idea is needed because all they are doing is pissing off their user base, ads sure piss me off and I refuse to watch Man in the Tower, Hunters, and possibly the Boys do to all the horrible ads they forced upon me.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Explain. Why is it retarded that a record label receives royalties for a song that was created with studio time and producers they paid for and made famous by them paying to promote it and market the song and the band?

That is not the system that is the problem. It makes perfect sense that they should be able to do that, and for a limited time collect royalties to recover their cost.

The amount of time that it stays in that state is currently wrong and has been increasingly wrong for decades. My personal preference would be 5 years, but 10 years is the maximum amount of time a song should be withheld from the creative commons. If you haven't made your money back by that point, then you made a shitty investment or shitty decisions around the marketing or promotions of the song. Artificially supporting the market fucks over everyone, including artists, at the expense of corporations who have lobbied their interests into absurdity.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
That is not the system that is the problem. It makes perfect sense that they should be able to do that, and for a limited time collect royalties to recover their cost.

The amount of time that it stays in that state is currently wrong and has been increasingly wrong for decades. My personal preference would be 5 years, but 10 years is the maximum amount of time a song should be withheld from the creative commons. If you haven't made your money back by that point, then you made a shitty investment or shitty decisions around the marketing or promotions of the song. Artificially supporting the market fucks over everyone, including artists, at the expense of corporations who have lobbied their interests into absurdity.
I'm fine with that as long as the same rules apply to all over copyrighted works as well. Books, movies, TV, video games, everything.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I switched some ublock settings today which people said helped against mid-stream. Watched a stream for awhile and then tried switching to someone else and their preroll literally had "of 10" ads queued up, noped out of that shit.

Either they are flat out retarded or the ones that get blocked still queue up the counter which hits on the prerolls for the next channel you try to watch.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Twitch is actually unwatchable currently. Preroll ads embedded in stream every time you click on a new stream is just so cancerous that I don't understand how they ever thought it would work out.

As bad as TV/cable is can you imagine a fresh ad every time you changed the channel lol.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I rarely watch twitch anymore, I used to like to watch a few streamers but that has passed. I would still tune in for hearthstone tournies if they hadn't switched to youtube but thankfully at this point they did switch.

I am quite interested in seeing what sort of fallout this brings if the ads indeed become unblockable. I can't imagine streamers themselves like this one bit either

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
So far tweaking I haven't gotten any of this 8-10 ad bullshit today and I've been testing by hitting dozens of random channels for prerolls. We'll see if it lasts.

Malakriss

Their rate of ads scales with their site traffic so it varies depending on time of day. The first channel you load up right now in the afternoon would have a preroll but if you channel hop right after it shouldn't give another preroll until X minutes later.

That obviously changes during primetime, where you'll get hit with a preroll for every channel and they jack up the rate on mid-stream ads for any high viewer stream.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm fine with that as long as the same rules apply to all over copyrighted works as well. Books, movies, TV, video games, everything.
1603992843073.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I'm fine with that as long as the same rules apply to all over copyrighted works as well. Books, movies, TV, everything.

Copyright and trademark have been fucked for a long time in this country and no one seems interested in having an actual conversation about how long you should own the thing. Like why shouldn't Harry Potter books that are 20 years old be in the public domain?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Copyright and trademark have been fucked for a long time in this country and no one seems interested in having an actual conversation about how long you should own the thing. Like why shouldn't Harry Potter books that are 20 years old be in the public domain?
Because it's in the interest of the corporations to stay copyrighted as long as possible and they hold the real power in country.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Disney spearheaded the current trademark and copyright laws I believe. At this juncture, there is so much money tied up in copyrights, trademarks, and IP that it would be virtually impossible to roll it back to how it used to be long ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

But why would anyone do this? At least with the ad on you know when it's about to end instead of just staring at a black screen lol.
it still shows the timer in the upper right.

edit: watching hafu and just got mid-stream ones, it properly blacked out and counted down. But it was 8 of them. Fuck Twitch.

Last edited: