Twitch.tv

Fadaar

That guy
I can deal with a pre-roll ad for a streamer I know I'm going to watch for a while, but as soon as I get a no warning mid-stream ad I close my browser

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I watch hafu's stream to test because her viewership is high thousands so midstreams will trigger + she's contractually obligated to manually play them. With the latest dev builds I have gotten zero prerolls in the last 2 days, hafu's manually triggered ones do not show at all for me (but chat complains about 8 or 9 ads), and I only get the twitch midstream attempts to play 2x 15sec ads. But the actual ads don't play all they did was replace the "Commercial Break in progress" default screen with the 3rd party one.

Once they learn to nix the default screen it's back to giving the middle finger to twitch and watching the way it should be.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Also one of the biggest things with Twitch is that they are happening in progress, so lets say a match is about to end, or one of the streamers is telling a story and it about to reach to climax or a joke and it about to reveal the punchline and WHAM here's an ad for fuck you I'm out"

The twitch format is the antithesis of a traditional TV ad experience.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

The worst thing they do, and plenty of streamers have complained about it, is the instant ad you get the moment you try to join a channel. Most people will just move on immediately, much in the same way where if you are flipping through channels on TV and if you come to a channel with a commercial, you just move on.

It strikes me as a short sighted attempt to make money. In Twitch's eyes, they probably think "well, we are guaranteed 1 ad view for every person who joins a stream!", but you sabotage yourself long term because a viewer is less likely actually watch the streamer at that point (you know, the whole reason people come to Twitch to begin with).

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also when the TV acts up and you bash it, you don't instantly get another ad.

Twitch stream times out and you F5, here's the entry ad for the stream you've watched for ten minutes five seconds ago, eat shit.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Also when the TV acts up and you bash it, you don't instantly get another ad.

Twitch stream times out and you F5, here's the entry ad for the stream you've watched for ten minutes five seconds ago, eat shit.
This

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The worst thing they do, and plenty of streamers have complained about it, is the instant ad you get the moment you try to join a channel. Most people will just move on immediately, much in the same way where if you are flipping through channels on TV and if you come to a channel with a commercial, you just move on.

It strikes me as a short sighted attempt to make money. In Twitch's eyes, they probably think "well, we are guaranteed 1 ad view for every person who joins a stream!", but you sabotage yourself long term because a viewer is less likely actually watch the streamer at that point (you know, the whole reason people come to Twitch to begin with).
I haven’t loaded up twitch in a long while but I have to admit when I did and would click on a channel if I got a preroll ad I would often instantly leave.

If it was a bigger streamer that I knew I might wait it out maybe, but if it was a random streamer I had no idea about yeah I wouldn’t even waste the time.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

my theory is they're setting up the marketing scam, much like facebook/instagram and a lot of big tech. They're going to spend a quarter or two pumping up the "ads viewed" metrics by just oversaturating everyone, and then they'll be able to hike their ad package prices for ineffective ads

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Just have a banner at the bottom that has non-intrusive (i.e. non flashy) banner adds playing. Problem solved.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Just have a banner at the bottom that has non-intrusive (i.e. non flashy) banner adds playing. Problem solved.
I mean just picture in picture it so people don't miss stuff going on and it works fine

• 2Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I mean just picture in picture it so people don't miss stuff going on and it works fine

They do that now on some ad breaks, but it is the streamer that is in the tiny box in the corner meaning you literally cannot hear or see them. It is actually more infuriating than the full screen version.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ironically hilarious observation from today: streamers that are contractually required to push ads are preventing twitch's midrolls from going off. But adblock successfully handles the ones from the streamer.

Szlia

The random ads show up when no ads have been played in a while, so it is indeed possible that a contract like Hafu's goes both ways : Hafu has to play a set number of ads over some set duration, but Twitch is never rolling random ads on her stream. At least such contract would make sense. If there must be ads, at least let the streamer be sure the viewers don't get them at inopportune times.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems like uBlock has lost this battle, they can only block pre-rolls while letting mid streams through; or block mid streams while letting pre rolls happen.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Most of the ads I see are for Amazon Prime shows, this might not be a "twitch" problem so much as it is an "Amazon" (they own Twitch) problem.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I see a stupid 5 gum pre-stream add.

Then I see a bunch of McDonalds and Trojan condom ads (like this demographic is actually getting laid?).

• 2Like