• 1625159074612.png
    1625159074612.png
    355.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I was about to do a thread on vtubers, but all the above stuff almost covers it.

To be near the top in streamland you need to be attractive, entertaining, skilled, confident, and maybe be a little bit quirky or fun in your personality.

VTubers are typically people that have no confidence in their appearance or can't handle criticism about their looks, or maybe they look good they are just lazy and don't want to spend an hour a day on it. Alot of them crawl out of bed at degen hours and just fire up their stream in their pajamas. You can only really tell when they play something active like ring fit :emoji_laughing:

Skillwise I've yet to see one near the top of any game. Some are absolutely terrible at anything they play and half the fun is watching them fail and make angry anime noises. The only impressive thing I've seen is Gura doing some pretty amazing speedrun stuff in a 2D game.

The "companies" that own alot of these girls are all very different. They often form relationships with developers and get permission before streaming. Probably some money changes hands since a really huge amount of eyes are on them, but also some publishers are really cunty about streaming like rockstar / nintendo.

The japanese orgs mostly want their girls to be "idols". This goes beyond being able to sing and draw, there's a really strange set of rules they have to follow. Idol culture is one bit I can't even begin to understand, but again hiding behind an anime character helps them alot with some of this. They can go out with friends on the weekends and not get followed by the paps.

The non Japanese orgs like vshojo seem to be more wild west whatever. Vei can get super foul and dirty and has often laughed at the idol side of things, even taking aim at hololive and the way they control and own all the characters and such. As a result collabs between the two sides are rare. There was one recently with Kiara of Hololive and Nyanners of vshojo.

The more successful ones just have a nonstop torrent, buckets filled with cash raining down on them at all times. They can't even stop to notice the donators or that would be all they ever do. Typically they will do a several hour show on sunday where they go back over the week's donations and thank them all as rapidly as possible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Shit is just another sign humanity is swirling down the drain.

• 4Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 7 users

Cybsled

It’s basically a cartoon character that streams. I can understand the appeal
For streamers who do it, especially if you value privacy. Think about female streamers - I have to imagine you deal with a ton less sexual harassment shit if you’re a cartoon. Plus, as got pointed out, you basically are in a virtual costume and it doesn’t matter how you look IRL

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but who the fuck wants to watch a cartoon play video games?

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
It would be more entertaining if the facial tracking was half decent. There's a lot of interesting things you can do with cartoons that you can't do with live action, which is why the exist in the first place. Unfortunately, most vtubers have awful face/movement tracking, and the models are pretty expressionless in general, which makes watching them a lot less interesting than watching a live action streamer. The only v-tuber with any decent tracking and facial expressions (that I know of) is codemiko.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah but who the fuck wants to watch a cartoon play video games?
That's what I don't get. I can understand the anonymity appeal for the steamer, but I can't imagine wanting to listen to/watch some voice modded weeb play a game poorly.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's what I don't get. I can understand the anonymity appeal for the steamer, but I can't imagine wanting to listen to/watch some voice modded weeb play a game poorly.
I honestly don't see any real difference between watching normal streamers and watching vtubers.

• 1Faggotry

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well there's multiple reasons, some of these girls don't really play video games that much, they also do a lot of karaoke streams or drawing stream and just chatting streams. Some do weekly collabs "talk show" kind of things and the one vtuber that started the discussion Kiryuu Coco had a weekly reddit shitpost meme review thing where she invited other members and showed them reddit memes to connect with their western audience. So it's not just the video games, some almost entirely play games while others barely play any games at all(especially the original ones which were more into the Idol thing so they mostly do singing/karaoke and write original songs and stuff, only dabble in Minecraft and what not). Some of them are constantly making new songs and somewhat work like a traditional indie-ish artist, using the whole avatar/playing video game as self promotion. They routinely top the charts on Spotify and other services when they release new songs. The avatar creators also have their own avatars and channels usually which they use to market themselves, I assume it's a pretty lucrative business for them especially the ones who made the more popular character like Gawr Gura.

Another interesting thing is some of these vtubers have very weird schedules, going days without streaming sometimes(although they communicate their weekly schedule usually). But they still keep their core audience, who will also watch another vtuber when their favorite streamer isn't streaming but it usually all stay within the same company, which is interesting when you compare to Twitch streamers who barely can take a break without losing a ton of viewers so it's a lot harsher on these streamers.

Personally I can't really watch them for more than like 5 or 10mins and I barely do that anymore, it's a mix of boring and cringe quite often, but I do like the clips and memes so I generally check the subreddit for it and get only the "good" part. Which I'm sure a lot of people would still dislike but eh.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, they give out bans, but it's very discriminatory. One Russian thot I liked to watch got a permaban for a few seconds of a camel toe for one of her pool streams. Much better looking than Amoranth or these other thots that get just temp bans. But whatever. Maybe it'll push her into OnlyFans and I can see the full monty when they leak :)
I remember some shadow priest kicking Asmongolds ass during classics hey day. Asmons guild corpse camped this guy all the time but he still managed to gank him now and then. Asmon whined to Twitch and the dude got a ban. It's completely arbitrary and big streamers have their own rules.

spronk

FPS noob
who is the bigger degenerate, people who donate to vtubers or all you weird fuckers who know so much about this shit

most watched twitch streamers of 2021 so far, i am so far out of touch now i only even recognize 4 of these names and dont watch any of em

Oldbased

> Than U
I hate being right, even if it is a unpopular opinion at the time with some.
Some wear the Armor of God to protect them from evil. I wear it to slay SIMPS.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
No just built in donations. Instead of having to go through a 3rd party system like streamlabs like you do on twitch, Youtube has them integrated.

Best I can do is Onlyfox

This is adorable. Do you have more?