Twitch.tv

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

See this is part of what I don't get about what happened. I know how ninja ended up getting propelled into 10k+ territory, and it's well earned, but why didn't fortnight blow up the old school streamers? I'd have thought we'd see a DDR or summit or a number of other 'more popular than ninja at the time' fps fortnight players with 100k+ views. Instead it's an upstart (yes I know he's been grinding but as far as long term fps bg streamers). I probably just missed a lot of the meta of how it happened.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Doc got in on it late. Was mia a month or so, and even when he came back he stuck with pubg, and H1Z1. Docs first impression of FN seem to be too cartoony for him. I don't know when Summit got into it, but Ninja once he warmed up to Fortnite he went non-stop, and just ran circles around people after a few days.

People spamming his clips all over social media really helped get him exposure.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The Doc got in on it late. Was mia a month or so, and even when he came back he stuck with pubg, and H1Z1. I don't know when Summit got into it, but Ninja once he warmed up to Fortnite he went non-stop, and just ran circles around people after a few days.

People spamming his clips all over social media really helped get him exposure.

Ya it's obviously a form of compound growth, i'm just so taken back but how much how fast. Like, it would make more sense to me if he jumped 20-30% above the big boys. Shroud essentially did this. Instead he jumps like 200-400% above the major streamers.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ya it's obviously a form of compound growth, i'm just so taken back but how much how fast. Like, it would make more sense to me if he jumped 20-30% above the big boys. Shroud essentially did this. Instead he jumps like 200-400% above the major streamers.

Agreed here. I made a post a few weeks ago in the other twitch thread about all the twitch prime subs he started getting all of a sudden. I mean it just exploded. It seemed sketchy to me going from 40k subs to 100k subs in basically a week.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Agreed here. I made a post a few weeks ago in the other twitch thread about all the twitch prime subs he started getting all of a sudden. I mean it just exploded. It seemed sketchy to me going from 40k subs to 100k subs in basically a week.

If twitch wasn't already bought out i'd say there is something fucky going on, but who knows. I don't watch fortnite but I was watching ninja just cause he's a phenom and it's interesting. He had about 100k viewers and then did his amazon prime shout out and instantly his chat was just spammed with subs for like 3 minutes, going fast too. Had to have been at least 500 of em. Maybe amazon is trying to create a new form of pop culture 'kings' that go mainstream as a form of advertising for the platform? It's interesting as fuck to watch though.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not positive because I haven't paid too much attention, but I feel like Shroud actually gets like 10-15k less viewers when he plays Fortnite

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not positive because I haven't paid too much attention, but I feel like Shroud actually gets like 10-15k less viewers when he plays Fortnite

You're correct. I keep a lot of the big boys on follow even though I rarely watch em. I just like seeing their viewer trends vs what they're playing. Same with DDR although not as bad as with shroud since he maintains number with his character. Summit I think stays the same or goes up.

Fadaar

That guy
I can only stomach watching Ninja for short periods of time, he's too much of a spaz for me. I can see the appeal and the guy is an absolute monster at Fortnite.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On the other end of the spectrum. This time last year GTA5 RP was blowing up. Buddha built his channel up nicely to the point of 6-8k viewers a night, quit his day job, went full time streamer, and then everyone got their feelings hurt over RP, and tanked the server. Saw Buddha on the other night with about 400 viewers. Rest of the Leanbois outside of Lirik also tanked. Eli still doing OK, but numbers are way down.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
The only thing I can think of to really explain how big Ninja has exploded is that you can play Fortnite on the consoles and its cross platform with PC. That combined with how many kids are picking it up and Ninja essentially being an adderall starved 8 year old with ADHD... and you get this.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 6 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The only thing I can think of to really explain how big Ninja has exploded is that you can play Fortnite on the consoles and its cross platform with PC. That combined with how many kids are picking it up and Ninja essentially being an adderall starved 8 year old with ADHD... and you get this.

I think you nailed it. The cross over between PC and Consoles plus the free to play nature of it opens it up to millions of people. Then this guy acts in a way that appeals to children I bet his demo is mostly younger kids. I have watched him a few times and it's crazy to see how good he is at the game but like many here his constant spazzing out just doesn't appeal to me.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Shroud got lower Fortnite viewers until he duoed with Ninja, then people on Ninja's channel realized he is a beast at these games and he started to pull better FN numbers

spronk

FPS noob
On the other end pf the spectrum. This time last year GTA5 RP was blowing up. Buddha built his channel up nicely to the point of 6-8k viewers a night, quit his day job, went full time streamer, and then everyone got their feelings hurt over RP, and tanked the server. Saw Buddha on the other night with about 400 viewers. Rest of the Leanbois outside of Lirik also tanked. Eli still doing OK, but numbers are way down.

yeah that was kinda sad i remember when buddha had regular 5k viewers and like over 1k subs, but he's probably still at least 500 subs which is still ~2k/mo with donos which is liveable i guess. The vagaries of twitch always amaze me.

every time I go to gamestop (i buy gift certs for gifts) i see one retarded 7-8 year old kid dragging his mom or dad in and asking to buy fortnight the last couple of weeks, and the patient clerk then has to explain that they discontinued the boxed copy and the game is free to buy on PSN or xbox and the kid whines about how he wants to just play. I just don't get how kids today are supposed to grow up in a digital world and yet are too dumb to understand f2p. They always seem to be mexican too, i wonder whats up with that

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
I loathe Ninja's shtick, but sweet Jesus is that guy insane at Fortnite. The creativity in play he brings to the table plus his raw aggression makes him must-watch. The things he does with impulse grenades makes my head spin.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
You know you're getting old when young people pretend wax nostalgic to other young people, in hopes of seeming like the older edgy outlier dude...

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not gonna bother to quote myself. Ninja was in the right place for a sponsered fortnite promotion.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You know you're getting old when young people pretend wax nostalgic to other young people, in hopes of seeming like the older edgy outlier dude...

Maybe he just liked the last Kirby game or whatever? You don't have to have played the original game to like a series and be hyped about a new game. There's a lot of people who are hyped about a new mario or zelda even though they've never played the original or only played the original on emulator recently and started with Ocarina/64 or even later, doesn't mean they're faking their hype. And you can definitely be nostalgic about stuff without being old, by 20-25 a bunch of shit you've played is already 10 or more years old, which is plenty of time to be nostalgic about.

• 1Like