Twitch.tv

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Insane.

The thing that pisses me off is watching Shroud and Lirik and getting ads every 20 minutes.... how much money do those fucks need.

Come on man, they cannot be sure that their audience will be around next month let alone next year. They have to get paid while they can because their window is limited.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
COBRA is just means of temporarily continuing employer group benefits (usually for up to 18 months), it isn't a standalone insurance product. Actual standalone medical insurance, which isn't complete shit (ie, those worthless high deductable plans which don't pay a dime until you've racked up 10k in deductables...aka, IRL you're spending probably 3x+ that amount out of pocket before they start tossing in some money), will easily cost you over 1k per month in premiums.
I pay 500 a month with 2.2k deductible.

Cybsled

I never see ads watching Shroud. He also is buying a house/having one built, so he needs dat $$$$$ lol

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Although he said he's turned down 10k/hr before, I'd really like to know the specifics of that case, because 3hrs to earn 12% of your avg yearly income seems like a no-brainer. I would guess it was either during a very popular time period for Hearthstone (expansion just released) or he had some other obligations that just made it impossible.

Yeah I'd like to know this too. I get what you guys are saying about not wanting to look like a sellout but streaming some shitty mobile game or whatever for an hour every few months can't really be that big of a hit to his viewers; at least not worth 10k. But yeah, I obviously don't know the specifics.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I never see ads watching Shroud. He also is buying a house/having one built, so he needs dat $$$$$ lol

do you have prime or turbo whatever the fuck its called? you don't see the ads if you do, but they still get the $$ from it.

a lot of people don't want to advertise shit games to their audience is what it comes down to lol

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I don't see how these people get jobs at all.

"Yah, I used to be a twitch streamer pulling in 50K per month."

Interviewer : *spits up coffee* Yah, I don't think we'll be needing you.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I don't see how these people get jobs at all.

"Yah, I used to be a twitch streamer pulling in 50K per month."

Interviewer : *spits up coffee* Yah, I don't think we'll be needing you.

They can talk about the intense work ethic, time management, self promotion, and skills gained by running their own small business with the only product being their personality. I'm not sure most of them are cut out for 9-5 jobs like that anyways.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I'd like to know this too. I get what you guys are saying about not wanting to look like a sellout but streaming some shitty mobile game or whatever for an hour every few months can't really be that big of a hit to his viewers; at least not worth 10k. But yeah, I obviously don't know the specifics.
Thing is, let's say he wants to play at most 5 other games than HS per month(maybe more, maybe less but that's just a number). He has the choice between some 10k/h shitty mobiles and some 5k/h blockbuster AssCreed/Farcry/CoD/BF shit or some 1k/h indie game that he actually likes/want to play(say Slay the Spire, since it's card based and shit). He would probably fill the spots with big games that are enjoyable to him and still pay a good amount and some good smaller games that pay him little or even nothing if he really likes them, than play some shitty mobile game for a bit more money. Doing this, he doesn't lose viewers AND get additional money, while playing a garbage game he loses viewers but gains a bit more money.

Cybsled

They can talk about the intense work ethic, time management, self promotion, and skills gained by running their own small business with the only product being their personality. I'm not sure most of them are cut out for 9-5 jobs like that anyways.

This. Unless the job you are applying for has extremely specific requirements, it is all in how you sell yourself and how to find the common connective tissue in terms of base skills/work qualities. Work retail or food service and now trying to find a white collar job? Sell the fact you have lots of customer experience background. Work in an unrelated field for a long time but it is with a single employer? Sell the fact it demonstrates corporate loyalty and you really try to excel at your employer vs. jumping ship for greener pastures every 1-2 years.

You're right most would probably shy away from 9-5 jobs and would rather milk this train for as long as it lasts, but it doesn't make them unemployable outside that realm.

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Thing is, let's say he wants to play at most 5 other games than HS per month(maybe more, maybe less but that's just a number). He has the choice between some 10k/h shitty mobiles and some 5k/h blockbuster AssCreed/Farcry/CoD/BF shit or some 1k/h indie game that he actually likes/want to play(say Slay the Spire, since it's card based and shit). He would probably fill the spots with big games that are enjoyable to him and still pay a good amount and some good smaller games that pay him little or even nothing if he really likes them, than play some shitty mobile game for a bit more money. Doing this, he doesn't lose viewers AND get additional money, while playing a garbage game he loses viewers but gains a bit more money.

I'm not even talking every month as I have no idea what his sponsor situation is like. I just think, in a bubble, streaming a shitty game for an hour every 2-3 months for easy cash is a no brainer to me.

spronk

FPS noob
i've been following a twitch streamer for about 6 years, theRealShooKon3. he started as a rapper, was really good and would just rap on stream for hours and hours. The only reason I followed him was because he made everyone who followed a mod in his channel. He'd only have 10-15 viewers the first 2-3 years, then slowly grew to 50 but never above 100 and he'd almost cry anytime someone sub'd or donated since he lived 100% off twitch money. i thought he was nuts, he had to only be making like $1k a month (or less) and he he completely depended on strangers for donating food (pizza), lived in a rented room that looked like it was in a slum, depended on donos for paying for the mobile hotspot he used, etc.

i just couldn't understand why this dude didn't get a job, literally for 6-7 years he streamed every single day, 8-16 hours, rapping and talking for no more than 50 people at a time. then when IRL blew up in the last year he kinda blew up too, now he gets 700-1000 people and the donos are a bit higher and he is traveling and staying (rent free) with fans in australia and asia, i doubt he is making any sort of big bucks but its an interesting life for sure. he seems to hook up with rando chicks he meets, his usual stream day consists of him fishing for food (no joke lol) and just talking with viewers.

its definitely interesting, i'm sure for every one guy like him there are 1000 more guys who tried the exact same thing and just never could get above the noise.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
then you have speedrunners that when they run "their" game, they get some 1000 viewers, but when they try to branch out because they get burnt out on the game, they go into a couple of hundred tops and can't make it. it seems much harder to become a variety streamer with a solid 1000+ viewer base, that can stream more or less whatever they want, than a specialized streamer.

Needless

Toe Sucker
seems most cases are like that, singsing for example. when he got bored of dota he dropped from like 10k viewers to like 2k tops lol, now hes back on Dota and hes back to 8-10k

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's not like Michael Jordan had millions of followers when he switched to baseball and spiked the MLB ratings. There is a heirarchy to entertainment but the game / subject still matters before the choice in player / announcer.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I don't care what you say, to be a successful streamer means actually being top 0.01% at a game, but this only gets you 1/2way. You then need some personality, a little luck, and some business smarts.

Once you've "made it" you can then leverage your popularity and be a variety streamer or whatever.
But basically this means 99.9% of the population will never make it streaming. And any sob stories about trying to stream and it ruining your life are your own damn fault for not realizing you actually need some skill to "make it".... and a little luck, and some personality.

This guy's youtube vid pissed me off:

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Deadmau5 - Deadmouse

Ive never been a super fan of this type of music but good songs are good songs. After watching him live stream making a song from 0 to 100 is really amazing. I respect the craft a lot more and made me a fan of him because of it.

There are multiple videos about his beat laboratory/house. Some of the machines he uses are super old school and just looks like the old NASA command center. He will have a few older saved videos that are great for background noise and of course he loves pubg and plays with all the other guys. Hes live now making a song!

deadmau5 - Twitch

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's surprising for how popular Deadmau5 is as a musician his stream isn't that popular. He usually does about 1k viewers, iirc.

Needless

Toe Sucker
deadmau5 peaked in like 2008-2011, long before he joined twitch. It's not too surprising lol

• 1Solidarity