Twitch.tv

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mick

<Gold Donor>
not sure why, but the link kept getting converted to a media file to try and play a stream.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Code:
https://blog.twitch.tv/coming-soon-get-it-on-twitch-9c829cae6ac1#.r5dcq9eh9

Not sure I how I feel about this. I don't want this to become a site with a bunch of shills trying to pimp out a game to buy just to make more money.

I think it's the next logical step, especially after the amazon purchase. Unless a game has some major major hype or I'm really aware of what it's all about, I'll watch a stream of a given game for a while before buying it. If they have a super easy 1 click system to purchase the game? I'll use it. If I can then attach it to my steam account? I'll likely use it fairly often, especially for indie games.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't know if the people I generally watch will be that affected by this. It feels like it is more directed at the entertainment value streamers. For the most part I only tune into twitch for very specific games and esports content. But someone like Lirick will probably be rolling in even fatter stacks of cash. I just wonder if this will make streamers who spend a significant amount of their time on one game start doing the "jump to the latest release and stream it" bandwagon. Like will Kripp stick with Hearthstone when he can't get Amazon click-buy income as well? I don't know. It seems like walking a fine line between giving your viewers what they want and trying to get money out of this system.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I feel like people like Timthetatman would be all over this. Basically has the personality of a used car salesman already

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I can feel that too. It'll perhaps benefit the already variety streamers and paid shills that already exist. The danger is if it changes someone you like who decides to engage in this heavy, but maybe they'd lose subscriber revenue, or if it impacts partner contacts by reducing opportunities from direct contact with game companies releasing a game.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It's a shame this only applies to partners, although I understand why. It would be insanely beneficial to small streamers that stream super random out there games that don't get a lot of attention. Those are the games that would get sales by people watching them on Twitch, the big shit people watch because they own it already.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Soon as Amazon bought Twitch I knew this was coming. This isn't a shock to me.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I would like them to not do the kickback to the streamer. That way there is no financial incentive to say anything to get your audience to buy it.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I would like them to not do the kickback to the streamer. That way there is no financial incentive to say anything to get your audience to buy it.
They already do it? Streamers do promotional streams all the time with disclaimers that they're being paid to show the game off. IMO its a non issue so long as they have to continue to put up the disclaimers.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The word will get out fast on those who have credibility and those who don't when recommending games. Amazon and Twitch have a ton of clout and I hope they use it. If you want your game streamed and put on the market then you have to give review copies to anyone over a certain threshold of viewers so they can't cherry pick. It's basically a free infomercial if the game maker has any confidence in their product.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As long as people adhere to current disclosure rules I don't see it being a problem. Discussion from Tarmack:

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I think this is great and I don't even *necessarily* think there are many ethical issues that will persist for long. If you are a streamer and you start shilling shit games for revenue then you are going to lose subsequent game sales as well as follows, views, and ultimately subs. Even the most unethical streamers would serve their channels (re: careers) better by being honest about games and letting the viewers decide for themselves.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got Amazon Prime over the holiday season for the fast, free shipping. I have kept Amazon Prime because of Twitch Prime. They got me boys...

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've watched Twitch religiously since they moved from Justin.TV and I think the number of chat messages I've sent is probably a dozen. I do not understand the appeal at all of hot new emotes and paying a fuckton of money for these hot emotes.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mick

<Gold Donor>
some of those streamers are millionaires now. I wish I could sit at home and get paid big money to just play video games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've seen a 10k donation once. I'm sure there will be plenty of 25$ subscriptions, people are crazy.