Twitch.tv

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I sent my first tell to Furor in EQ he immediately responded with ‘go play in traffic fool’.
Cyberbullying is real guys
reminds me that my first post ever on FoH back in early 2000s got negged with the comment "go kill yourself"

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
So keep that in mind the next time you feel like getting defensive on behalf of people whose job description includes being judged by the public.

Yep, you got me, I was definitely talking about myself and my two friends with 3-4 viewer count.

Did it ever occur to you that I might know people who have a lot more than 10 viewers? Don't assume. I'm not gonna name drop, I'm not that guy.

Some streamers are attention whores. Some aren't. Either way, the platform itself is not responsible for this, just as Facebook isn't responsible for turning everyone into a Karen, and Twitter isn't responsible for poor grammar. People are people, 10 viewers or 1k viewers or more. Give them a platform that they aren't prepared for and they won't know how to deal with it properly, and that includes "being judged", being bullied, etc. There is a reason that actual celebrities have managers and teams and don't generally interact directly with the public.

• 2Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Yeah, I mean, you could be shitposting on a forum!

The judging in this thread (from a bunch of people who don't stream and don't watch Twitch, no less) is fucking sad, haha.
Out of morbid curiosity I pulled up your Twitch and the first video is you ignoring your poor daughter while your fat ass plays some piece of shit game to an audience of 0 for 3 hours. You're damn right I'm judging.

• 4Worf
  • 2Faggotry
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 8 users

Szlia

I think people have it backward. It's not that Twitch damages the mental health of streamers, it's that streaming is one of those activity appealing to people who have socialization and/or mental health issues. I am absolutely not saying that all or even most streamers fall in this category, but in the set of streamers compared to the set of the whole population, I am pretty sure people with such issues are over-represented.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Out of morbid curiosity I pulled up your Twitch and the first video is you ignoring your poor daughter while your fat ass plays some piece of shit game to an audience of 0 for 3 hours. You're damn right I'm judging.

Oh, shit, I'm being criticized by someone on the internets! I'd better just end it all right now.

Oh, wait, your opinion is... let me check the list... yep, completely fucking irrelevant. And that's how streamers should treat most peoples' opinions of how/why/what they stream. Completely, absolutely, fucking irrelevant. The problem is that a lot of people buy into the idea that you have to do whatever your viewers want in order to keep them entertained and hooked, and that's not why I stream. I stream because I want to. It's not my job, I'm not there to make you happy and I don't give a shit what you think.

I could explain why she was sitting there watching me play, and why I wasn't engaging her much, but I don't owe you an explanation.

• 3Like
  • 2Salty

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
reminds me that my first post ever on FoH back in early 2000s got negged with the comment "go kill yourself"
Yep, I got the same thing, and then I stuck around anyway. I'm stubborn.

I think people have it backward. It's not that Twitch damages the mental health of streamers, it's that streaming is one of those activity appealing to people who have socialization and/or mental health issues. I am absolutely not saying that all or even most streamers fall in this category, but in the set of streamers compared to the set of the whole population, I am pretty sure people with such issues are over-represented.

100% true. Twitch, and platforms like it, give people a podium that wouldn't normally be socially ready (or trained) for one, and that can be trying at the best of times.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
2hboemuxams11.jpg

• 9Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 11 users

Cybsled

It’s classic case of perception vs reality. Perception is you get to make a living out of what you enjoy and you get lots of fans and become famous. Reality is you begin to understand that some of those fans are dangerous, the crowd is fickle, the grind takes away your passion, and you get involved with people that may or may not be willing to backstab you so they can stand on your corpse to elevate themselves.

That doesn’t happen to everyone, but many people aren’t mentally prepared for what comes with all this if you get an iota of attention and success. They get chewed up by ruthless people, be it their fans or “friends”. I’ve seen recent stuff from J9 and Lurn that suggest Shroud is pretty ruthless though if you read between the lines.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nah man, otherwise these forums would be... Like...

Fuck
Fundamental difference is at least for everyone who isnt a_skeleton_03, this forum isnt intertwined with our real life personas. Its something thats completely separate from who we are.

But people like that woman, Twitch/IG where literally her life.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
These forums are like the newsgroups of old. Where you post some shit on here and come back to it every couple'a days to see if the person's responded. These millennials don't really know when to quit, though. They want to stay on the bleeding edge of the internet, without going outside. Thing that they don't realize is, we already took that bullet for them. I don't wanna say that there isn't anything to be gained from staying on the internet. But there's something to be said for going outside and meeting new people, too.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Guys no one will tell you this, but I will.

You're the old people now. Sorry. It happened. Go enjoy a crossword and some ice tea and reminiscing about when phones had a dial or whatever, but it's over. Your time is done.

Your power is now completely limited to voting. Good luck in your next 15-30 years of life.

• 9Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 14 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

You're the old people now. Sorry. It happened. Go enjoy a crossword and some ice tea and reminiscing about when phones had a dial or whatever, but it's over. Your time is done.

Your power is now completely limited to voting. Good luck in your next 15-30 years of life.
Screw that. I'm going down fighting by bitching and complaining about every new thing like a proper annoying old-person should.

GET OFF MY LAWN INTERNET, ZOOMERS

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>

You aint no spring fucking chicken. (This is an old person term)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

This is how I feel reading Operation Sports as people bitch about the state of Franchise mode in Madden, decrying ultimate team and other modes getting more attention (and justifiably so for the income they generate)... they haven't realized they aren't the target audience anymore and they type of game they want or expect hasn't existed for a while.

Xevy

Log Wizard
You aint no spring fucking chicken. (This is an old person term)
I'm aware, but at 32 I'm probably in the younger 33% of this board. I'm stuck inbetween. I grew up with you old farts (RE: 40+) games and movies and shit, but I interact with fucking Zoomers and shit all the time. Stuck between worlds. I understand them both and agree with neither. I'm at the Daywalker stage of my life.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If he wants an even lower viewer count than when he was on Mixer, he'll sign with Facebook Gaming. lol

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user