Twitch.tv

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
OK, more of a YouTube rant than a Twitch rant:

I've had to do a lot of work away from my PC for a while now, and so I've been watching YouTube videos on my phone (since there isn't a computer near by). As a result, I've not had my YT ad block up. Now, most of the adds I've seen are short, 10-15 seconds and I just let them roll, but these past two days I've seen an increasing number of adverts that are 1+ minute long. Some are over 5 minutes long (for some shitty WWII mobile game). The mind boggles. Firstly who the fuck creates a 5+ minute long advert? Who OKs a marketing campaign using that? And who the fuck watches it all??

I'm still blown away by the time it queued up a 2.5 hour ghetto climate change documentary in an ad. Like, thank fuck I could skip it, but what the unholy fuck?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Usually YouTube will let you skip ads especially the long ones. If it doesn't just refresh. Those long ones have to be for people who just leave autoplay on.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
Wubby's great, definitely hard shills for money on twitch but I can't deny his stream is funny as fuck. He mentioned in a recent stream that a big rapper (T-Pain maybe?) contacted him about buying the Waifu Mobile or at least having it appear in a future music video so might see a collaboration there.
I've been watching GTA RP lately and watched a bit of his stuff. I do find him entertaining, but he grates on me after awhile. I end up watching the other streamers he's with.
I haven't seen him on GTA but in general I rarely watch twitch. If I am going to watch something small highlights like this work better for me. It's fucking criminal though that unfunny loser faggots like XqC get 100k views and this dude is funny as fuck I had never heard of before. That being said dude is making bank with like 20k subs constantly and millions of views on his shit. This one with the gummy bears cracked me up.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I haven't seen him on GTA but in general I rarely watch twitch. If I am going to watch something small highlights like this work better for me. It's fucking criminal though that unfunny loser faggots like XqC get 100k views and this dude is funny as fuck I had never heard of before. That being said dude is making bank with like 20k subs constantly and millions of views on his shit. This one with the gummy bears cracked me up.

There was a big streamer influx into GTA and he's has latched on to people like xQc, Sykkuno, and Valkyrae. It's launched his subcount. Dude is making bank atm.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Usually YouTube will let you skip ads especially the long ones. If it doesn't just refresh. Those long ones have to be for people who just leave autoplay on.
Listen if you arent using Ublock Origin(specifically origin not just ublock) youre wrong. You will never view another youtube ad with it installed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

CohCarnage and XqC... tons of streamers are not the LEAST bit entertaining and still rake in the views. That clip is great shit.

My top two:
  1. loltyler1 -> This guy always cracks me up. He's just a fucking idiot. But funny.
  2. ManVsGame -> only when he's raging on meth.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Araxen

Listen if you arent using Ublock Origin(specifically origin not just ublock) youre wrong. You will never view another youtube ad with it installed.

Yeah, I use Ublock on my PC, but I like watching YouTube from my Roku sometimes. Even my Pi-Hole can't block them when I'm watching from my Roku.

Malakriss

Ads play over top of content and make you miss critical parts of stream
Purple screen means you successfully blocked the ads but still miss out on parts of the stream
Midroll purple screens will run 30s blocks multiple times (whatever the ad duration was supposed to be) but you can refresh and only deal with a 30s pre-roll

Meanwhile, it's pushing people to alternatives like streamlink which are a step or two removed from twitch itself. I don't even give it an auth token i just watch as if I'm a guest without an account and experience no ads. But since it's removed from twitch I have to weigh whether I want to bother loading up chat, or sub, or interact in any way since I'm already disenfranchised from using the twitch client itself. Effectively they are pushing people to no longer use features that make it "the twitch platform" and instead treat it like a youtube video.

The end result there is.. why not move to youtube or another platform and at least reclaim SOME features back without the assholitry? Twitch's desired model right now is to have viewers miss out on content for the sake of ads.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Twitch is weird... twice in the past week I've been gifted a sub in a channel I've never been in before.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Twitch is weird... twice in the past week I've been gifted a sub in a channel I've never been in before.
If your were watching someone that raided the stream you might still be registered if you didn't click the "Leave" on the popup, even if you closed the stream before the raid happened.

Their algorithm also specifically tries to redirect gift subs to people to "get them to come back" and maybe continue the sub with their own money in the future. So someone who isn't a regular with a gazillion channel points is likely to receive those. Yes, that does mean they are screwing over followers when someone drops a 50 gift bomb it is not an equal chance spread out among current viewers.

Cybsled

That’s happened to me multiple times. Got a gift sub to Arcadum’s channel after watching a “D&D” session.

On a side note, I tuned in for a Callous Row session (basically LARP using VRchat) and he was DMing a session that had Chandler Riggs (Carl from Walking Dead) as one of the players

goishen

Macho Ma'am
The way it works, at least I believe, is this.

You have 10 people in the room, 8 of them are subbed. A person gifts five subs. That catches the two people in the room, then starts pulling people from outside of the room at random, I believe.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
The system "remembers" viewers for awhile, I don't know exactly how long but at least for days. That's why sometimes you'll get a gift sub for a stream you aren't watching and/or don't remember ever watching, this happens way more if you leave a tab or two open and the streamer(s) raid multiple times.

What does it do if someone gifts 1000 subs to a stream with less than 1000 lifetime unique views? No fuckin clue.

Araxen

You can disable in your account settings from getting gifted subs in channels you do not follow. I would get random gifted subs all the time from people I've never watched. I found it annoying.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah I have gotten like 5 gift subs last few days. 2 I followed and I got one to xQc and I don't think I have ever watched his stream.