Twitch.tv

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This will affect streamers doing banners, endorsements, product deals, and sponsors plus esports that were running their own in-stream stuff or shows like the VGA. Unless you're a contract level company like the NFL to be exempt of course.

Twitch - Branded Content Guidelines

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Seems like to me they are doing everything they can to kill their business, I stopped watching when ads took over.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
ROFL the salt mining on Twitch today has been fucking amazing. I've already been banned from two channels.

STRIMMER BIG MAD!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
This will affect streamers doing banners, endorsements, product deals, and sponsors plus esports that were running their own in-stream stuff or shows like the VGA. Unless you're a contract level company like the NFL to be exempt of course.

Twitch - Branded Content Guidelines
That's incredibly bad for small streamers. Streamelements has like thousands of potential ad money for even shit tier streams with 5-10 viewers per month and almost all, if not all, required burned-in something or other. Twitch better be making deals with advertisers for the smaller guys or they're about to get in a shit storm of bad PR. They probably see that Facebook streaming is dying off and they feel uncontested now and can just do whatever the fuck they want to secure their ad revenue. On one level yeah, Twitch making a profit for the first time ever (LOL) would be good for the industry, but on the other level it would've been better if they just found a better source of premiums people would want to buy for actual benefits rather than just wrecking everyone at the lowest tiers possible. Maybe they're trying to get rid of the 1-20 viewer Andy's because they're probably consuming a huge amount of the server requirements in total. This would certainly help do that.

Fadaar

That guy
JFC now would be a great time for YouTube to update their shit. I don't mind watching streamers on YT but I refuse to use Facebook.

• 3Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
That's incredibly bad for small streamers. Streamelements has like thousands of potential ad money for even shit tier streams with 5-10 viewers per month and almost all, if not all, required burned-in something or other. Twitch better be making deals with advertisers for the smaller guys or they're about to get in a shit storm of bad PR. They probably see that Facebook streaming is dying off and they feel uncontested now and can just do whatever the fuck they want to secure their ad revenue. On one level yeah, Twitch making a profit for the first time ever (LOL) would be good for the industry, but on the other level it would've been better if they just found a better source of premiums people would want to buy for actual benefits rather than just wrecking everyone at the lowest tiers possible. Maybe they're trying to get rid of the 1-20 viewer Andy's because they're probably consuming a huge amount of the server requirements in total. This would certainly help do that.
I guess they'll have to learn to code :mad: ?

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
they are already in full damage control mode

9stvvzkimg4b1.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
once the hubbub dies down we're going to quietly release the policy with almost no changes!

• 5Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
once the hubbub dies down we're going to quietly release the policy with almost no changes!
Good. It's absolutely hilarious to me finally watching streamers get dicked over and exploited by big corporations. It has been happening to the rest of the labor force for the past 50+ years and these little manchildren for the longest time thought they were their own "boss", while exploiting the fuck out of the infrastructure that Twitch allows for.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Good. It's absolutely hilarious to me finally watching streamers get dicked over and exploited by big corporations. It has been happening to the rest of the labor force for the past 50+ years and these little manchildren for the longest time thought they were their own "boss", while exploiting the fuck out of the infrastructure that Twitch allows for.

Historical context is needed, though

A lot of the early Twitch adopters were people escaping Youtube because of changes Youtube was making to monetization. They formed the foundation of the platform, which in turn let newer post-Youtube people take advantage of

If Twitch starts to become less and less lucrative for streamers, then eventually it may just open up for a competitor to take advantage and you'll start seeing people ditch the platform.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Historical context is needed, though

A lot of the early Twitch adopters were people escaping Youtube because of changes Youtube was making to monetization. They formed the foundation of the platform, which in turn let newer post-Youtube people take advantage of

If Twitch starts to become less and less lucrative for streamers, then eventually it may just open up for a competitor to take advantage and you'll start seeing people ditch the platform.
So these guys get the same number of views on a Zoom call? And their internet would support 40k people logging into said Zoom call with minimal lag? Zoom also allows for easy donations, subscriptions, etc.? Cute little emotes, chat rooms/commands, etc.?

No? Huh...I wonder who built all that then.

A lot of the early "Twitch adopters" were fuckin' 19 year old losers who had nothing better to do with their loser lives but stream from their parents' house while they ate cheetos and played WoW/CoD/etc. all day. Sure, obviously these manchildren are worth tons of money now, but it doesn't change the fact that Twitch itself allowed/supported their ability to do that. Twitch has been bleeding money for YEARS to support all this and now the piper needs to be paid.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
First, two caveats: 1. I have all but stopped watching Twitch. It's down to less than 30 mins per week, if that. 2. Even when I did watch a lot of Twitch, I practically never saw an add, so my Adblocker must have been decent.

Having said that, what I don't get about Twitch is that there are SO many other ways to display adds and such other than running a 30? second full screen full motion add every once in a while. Just of the top of my head I can name a few:

• A small area of your screen where you have a permanent logo on display (many already do this for private endorsements).
  • A banner along the top or bottom of the screen where adds are places.
  • A semi-transparent "pop-up" banner add, similar to what YouTube had back in the day, that you can then minimze.
  • Text adds that show up in chat.
  • Special promotions where a gaming company or whatever reaches out to Twich and says, "hey, we have this new game/expansion, we'll pay your streamers X per hour of gameplay that they stream and you get Y% of that." Twitch then pays the streamers per hour until either the money runs out or the time period is over.
I'm no marketing guy, and sure, some of these are worse than others, but what I'm trying to point out is that there are a shit ton of different ways to make money there, but they only seem to want to focus on one, and it's one that is driving away customers.

• 5Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
First, two caveats: 1. I have all but stopped watching Twitch. It's down to less than 30 mins per week, if that. 2. Even when I did watch a lot of Twitch, I practically never saw an add, so my Adblocker must have been decent.

Having said that, what I don't get about Twitch is that there are SO many other ways to display adds and such other than running a 30? second full screen full motion add every once in a while. Just of the top of my head I can name a few:

• A small area of your screen where you have a permanent logo on display (many already do this for private endorsements).
  • A banner along the top or bottom of the screen where adds are places.
  • A semi-transparent "pop-up" banner add, similar to what YouTube had back in the day, that you can then minimze.
  • Text adds that show up in chat.
  • Special promotions where a gaming company or whatever reaches out to Twich and says, "hey, we have this new game/expansion, we'll pay your streamers X per hour of gameplay that they stream and you get Y% of that." Twitch then pays the streamers per hour until either the money runs out or the time period is over.
I'm no marketing guy, and sure, some of these are worse than others, but what I'm trying to point out is that there are a shit ton of different ways to make money there, but they only seem to want to focus on one, and it's one that is driving away customers.

It doesn't matter if you are a marketing guy or not, you have taken *literally* 90 seconds to think outside of the box at what an AMAZON owned company could do to innovate and proved that they seriously don't care. They are idiots who have a platform begging to try out different monetization strategies and they try ZERO of them. In fact, things like 'bits' were arguably the WORST ideas of the bunch.... yet that is the one they went with. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Curated YouTube Channels off of Twitch Streams > Twitch Streams.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Except all those options are worth less money ad revenue wise.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
hahahahaaaaa

You know, we give Twitch a lot of shit here, but at least it took them less than 24 hours to realize how big of a fuckup this was and they just admitted it and reversed course. Can we at least say good job not doubling down?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
No because they knew it would be this bad before doing it.
Same playbook Paypal used.
Go full commie. Say sorry and pull back and still go 50% commie.
People cheer while 50% Karl DNA is infused into their peabrain.
Unless they reverse so far it goes well past into previous changes, it is not a win. It was planned.

• 3Like