Tyranny

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Skanda

I'm Amod too!

In Tyranny, the grand war between good and evil is over – and the forces of evil, led by Kyros the Overlord, have won. The Overlord’s merciless armies dominate the face of the world, and its denizens must find their new roles within the war-torn realm... even as discord begins to rumble among the ranks of Kyros’ most powerful Archons.

Players will experience the new world order under the Overlord in a reactive role-playing game (RPG), interacting with the populace as a powerful Fatebinder in the Overlord’s forces -- roaming the lands to inspire loyalty or fear as they bring control to the last holdouts of the Tiers.

Main Features:

• Branching, unique stories in an original setting: The battle between good and evil has already taken place, and evil stands victorious
  • Choices matter – make world-altering decisions with far-reaching consequence: As a Fatebinder in the Overlord’s army you wield a vast amount of power in the occupied lands of the Tiers. Will you use that to inspire stability and loyalty, will you be feared, or will you seek your own power?
  • Challenging, classic RPG combat: Tactical real-time-with-pause combat with new party-driven mechanics and modern presentation
  • A rich original setting: Not just another “hero’s journey” -- Tyranny turns the archetypal RPG story on its head and allows players to explore a new take on good and evil
New RPG from Obsidian and published by Paradox. Releases on Nov 10th.

I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity enough that I'm most likely going to give this a go once it's out.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thought there was already a thread for this.

Anyway yeah looks really cool and the story looks fairly different than the usual "we need a hero, but maybe you can be an asshole hero, still need to save the world even if you're a dick though". Might pick it up on launch cause I'm almost done with DQ7 and need something to fill up before FFXV, but I have so many games to play still I might just play these instead and wait for a price drop later on.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Let me know if its better then pillars of Eternity. I found that pretty mediocre. Got bored very quick. Stopped playing very shortly after act1, and really have no drive to finish. complaints were wide ranged. game mechanics, story, not Divinity:OS, etc.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Let me know if its better then pillars of Eternity. I found that pretty mediocre. Got bored very quick. Stopped playing very shortly after act1, and really have no drive to finish. complaints were wide ranged. game mechanics, story, not Divinity:OS, etc.

Can't trust me then because I loved Pillars enough to play through it almost three times.

• 1Solidarity

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I'm going to need to see some people who've played decently into the game tell me that combat isn't shit and that magic, in particular, is actually useful before I drop the cash on this bad boy. I love Obsidian games but playing PoE after D:OS was a slog and if they followed the same model with this game I'll pass.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm going to need to see some people who've played decently into the game tell me that combat isn't shit and that magic, in particular, is actually useful before I drop the cash on this bad boy. I love Obsidian games but playing PoE after D:OS was a slog and if they followed the same model with this game I'll pass.

I blame the attribute system for that issue, my first play through I picked what I thought were ideal stats but turns out for all classes except fighter Might>all, having low might on my casters made them feel like shit. Second play through max might wizard and cleric meant destroyer of worlds, was good times.

That said D:OS magic while awesome was OP as fuck all around, and I can see how going from that game to pillars wouldn't feel very good.

• 1Solidarity

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I never actually finished Pillars, got tired of the "real-time" combat just being a clusterfuck constantly. Party blame Divinity for that as I mostly just prefer turn-based tactical in general.

How's the combat in this, Pillars style with real-time and a pause, or full turn based? World and story sound super interesting at least.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah put me in the camp of "Played D:OS and wanted more iso RPG and fucking hated PoE" as well

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Divinity killed this one for me too. With that said, I'm excited for D:OS2 soon!

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
How's the combat in this, Pillars style with real-time and a pause, or full turn based? World and story sound super interesting at least.

It's 100% pillars style combat so if you hated that you'll hate this too.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Game is good. Passing up on it for some superficial bullshit and bad presumptions based on dislike of another, tangentially related title, is a mistake.

• 1Smuggly

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Game is good. Passing up on it for some superficial bullshit and bad presumptions based on dislike of another, tangentially related title, is a mistake.

Since when is gameplay "superficial bullshit"? And it's a video game, how big a mistake could it be?

• 1Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
It's 100% pillars style combat so if you hated that you'll hate this too.

That's a real shame, the PoE combat really could have used some basic gameplay design rather than just being a bare bones tank & spank.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Because I wasn't going to drop $50 without knowing I downloaded a torrent, and for anyone wondering it's basically PoE 1.5. There are slight differences but it feels exactly like playing PoE from a gameplay standpoint, so basically whatever you felt about that game is what you will think about this one.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Since when is gameplay "superficial bullshit"? And it's a video game, how big a mistake could it be?

Its superficial bullshit because you're assuming that the gameplay aka the stats system, is as counter intuitive as POE, and its not, and the fact that the gameplay is more than just the combat.

Let me help you out: This game has a uniquely deep story system. If you miss out on that because you're butthurt about POE not living up to your expectations, then you have done yourself a grave disservice.

Let me remind everyone that Planescape Torment had some of the worst combat of any Infinity Engine game, but it is still widely regarded as one of the best, if not the best, games from that era, because its story was so strong.

When you say "I'm afraid to try Tyranny because I didn't like the combat and stats system in POE" what I hear is "I'm afraid to try Planescape Torment because I didn't like the combat and stats system in Baldur's Gate."

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I been playing it all day and I'm enjoying it a good bit more than PoE. I'd say it's like 75/80% PoE combat, and that 20/25% is enough to put it solidly in the 'fun' category whereas PoE left me wanting. Some differences:

1. Party size is reduced to 4, but you get Combo abilities to compensate. I believe it's 2 abilities as you max Fear/Loyalty (so 4 total), the early ones being per encounter and the later ones being per rest. I dunno bout you guys but I always hated the spells in PoE just from trying to manage which fight is 'worthy' of spending spells on. I'm all about Per Encounter, and there's a lot more of those in this game (and normal abilities with 20-60+s cooldowns)

2. That weird Endurance system is gone. You got regular traditional HP but going low gives you a 'wound' which reduces 10% total hp and 10% skills, so one or 2 ain't a biggy but they do add up. They're cleared on rest, and you can hold EIGHT campfire supplies.

3. The talent trees make for much more interesting character development than the pages and pages of tiny abilities you got in PoE. I made my warrior with the intent to be 2H / Heavy Armor, but I ended up Light Armor (fuck their dumb delay system) going down the Agility line, which has passives for dual wielding and single wielding (no offhand), and actives that are Monk-ish (flying kick, leg sweep etc) but still work with 2H. Charge, triple attack, whirlwind...good stuff.

4. Mages have a mix n match spell creation system that I find a LOT more engaging than just being inundated with spells (cleric/druid in POE) or choosing 1 and being locked into it (unless you found a grimoire). You use two base signs, like Frost/Fire/Heal + Line/Cone/Target, then add Accents that increase effect, duration, range, etc. As you add these, the Lore requirement goes up, which makes for a pretty cool progression system that lets you tweak out the spells you like to use and improve them as you get higher Lore.

There are definitely some issues, both carried over from PoE and new to this game, but I like the combat and the story is a lot more engaging than the first. I ordered it just a few days ago at $35.99 and it looks like 2 sites still selling it for $38.20 IsThereAnyDeal.com . I'd say it's definitely worth that price.

I think D:OS2 is a better game for combat (can't even compete with co-op!!) but the story never grabbed me, either in 1 or 2. This game really has. The Conquest you have the option to do in the beginning is a pretty good way of both introducing you to and setting up the world. Obviously a lot of names are thrown at you and it's not super clear what's going on, but the game does a good job keeping you informed as you play.

You're also able to say "Fuck you" in pretty much every situation it makes sense. In that Conquest, I had chosen to send my elite guard to secure an area where the local faction wasn't doing a good enough job. About 5 hours into my game, I came across that faction, and they gave me a bunch of attitude, saying WELL LOOK WHO'S BACK, and threatening me. I was given the usual options of acquiesce, appease, threaten, or attack. And attack I did. I just killed those motherfuckers. And it felt good! I also killed a potential group mate cuz I already had a mage and she seemed like a bitch. And I even got an achievement called "This. Is. TYRANNY!!!" and I'll give you 3 guesses what my character did to another character to earn that. (I'm not saying this game invented such choices; I'm just saying they did a good job of keeping the story very open ended)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users