Under the Dome-CBS

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
They changed the reason for propane too, what the fuck? If Big Jim isn't the biggest meth dealer in the US I'm done.

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
Was casting the guy who spent the last 5 seasons of his life battling meth lords as a (potential) meth lord intentional on their part, you think? Cause I find that humorous.

Maybe Under the Dome is set after the events of Breaking Bad, and Big Jim is just an assumed name for cover.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Was casting the guy who spent the last 5 seasons of his life battling meth lords as a (potential) meth lord intentional on their part, you think? Cause I find that humorous.

Maybe Under the Dome is set after the events of Breaking Bad, and Big Jim is just an assumed name for cover.
The Dome is an invention of Walter White? Awesome? Orawesomesttwist ever.

iannis

Musty Nester
Oooh. That's what that was.

I knew I saw Hank on the TV the other day when I was walking past. I just thought it was an old movie.

spronk

FPS noob
the fat chick at the radio station was in Breaking Bad too, she was a gas station attendant that did some biz with Jesse

decent show, I haven't read the book so its interesting so far. Most of the characters seem ok enough, creepy weirdo stalker bomb shelter guy is the worst and I'm bummed Lawnmower Man is out already. The ratings so far have been stellar apparently, biggest summer network TV show in over 20 years so the execs will be salivating over everything they think made so many people watch. And of course get it all completely wrong.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
For some reason this show doesn't do anything for me. I find myself being bored and just not interested in any of the characters.

axeman_sl

shitlord
This show bears so little resemblance to the book that using the same title is just wildly misleading, bordering on false advertisement. Literally nothing in this entire episode took place in the book. Not a single scene. They've kept nothing except the basic concept of the dome as well as some character names, some of which have vague correlations to their book counterparts while others share nothing but the name. This is so different from the book that I think using the same title and suggesting that it's a televised rendition of the novel is simply dishonest.

Stephen King implied that some things had been changed in order to better adapt to the screen, not that it was an entirely different story. This has no more in common with the Under the Dome novel than Dungeons & Dragons has in common with Lord of the Rings, sharing only a few very loose concepts and a fundamental theme. Most importantly, the show doesn't tell a better story than the book. I don't really see the point of changing everything for the worse. Sometimes a bad movie/show can appeal to fans of the book from which it derives, but this won't even have that.

Bad acting, bad story, misleading premise. The pilot was alright, the second episode was pretty bad, and the third was so dire that it seems to have sealed the deal for a lot of people. I'm finding nothing but overwhelmingly negative reception, and it's easy to see why. Anyone who has read the book can sit and categorically point out how every single change is for the worse. They should have stuck to the novel instead of foolishly thinking that they could improve a story written by one of today's most popular and succesful authors. I think Stephen King is secretly cringing, despite everything he has dutifully said about approving the changes and liking their version of Under the Dome.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
acting gets worse with each episode, it's like Hank is saying "omg i gotta finish this throw me job so i can get back to Breaking Bad!"

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This show had good premises although based on a book everyone and their grandmother already knew the ending. So I was curious about their writing, since Stephen King is a executive consultant. But they anyhow fucked up most characters writing wise, they're all B movies characters (the renegade, the rightful cop, the shady politician, the nerd, the cool kids, the problem childs, etc). I've watched the 3rd episode and it's pretty bad, another random low-tier show borrowing classic gimmicks with lazy writers pressured by network ratings. Meh.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
but to be fair. King uses all those tired ass generic tropes in his later books too. the dude lost most of his creativity when he went sober. im a firm believer in legalizing all drugs for artists only.

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
Hell yeah, this episode really had the King character writing dumbassedness on full display. Ridiculous, unrealistic human behavior and unbelievable life choices. Next week I'm sure he'll have Big Jim announce how great he thinks the Tea Party is, since King probably missed out on tying them to the bad guy in the book due to scheduling and whatnot.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i havent watched one episode but based on how heavy handed he was painting that guy in the book id say your guess will definitely happen.

axeman_sl

shitlord
So this show seems to have fizzled out completely. There was initial hype due to the popularity of Stephen King, and the show got that weird kind of automatic praise that some things get before people have even seen it, like reviewers had written their "this is great" reviews before it even premiered. Then it did, and while the pilot was alright, the two subsequent episodes were so awful that forum discussions everywhere are awash with boo-hiss criticism. I had to dig this thread up from halfway down page two, and it's supposed to have been the big summer feature. So much for that, because hardly anybody even talks about it anymore, and when they do, they have nothing flattering to say.

Episode 4 was a little less horrendously written than the previous, but only a little. It didn't have quite as corny and unbelievable writing or acting, but it had more of these pointless, senseless scenes and shallow, uninteresting characters. Add to this the fact that, once again, literally not a single scene of the episode actually took place in the book and you have to wonder if the writers cared only about making it differ from the novel. They certainly didn't seem to pay much mind to whether or not the story was interesting and made sense, because it isn't and doesn't. A particularly cringeworthy moment from last night's episode was when half the population caught meningitis and the baldie reverend promptly went to burn the town's supply of antibiotics because, quote, "they deserve to die!" -- for absolutely no reason and no context other than 'look at this evil religious guy, isn't that topical?'

Once more the episode was bogged down by three or four dull and lengthy scenes of Angie being locked in a bunker. I wonder if the amount of Angie-in-bunker screentime will reach a full hour before it gets more complex than "she has been locked in a bunker and is unhappy about it." Scarecrow Joe continues to appear to be some random kid they pulled in off the street and told to read directly from the script because they forgot to cast an actor, and his girlfriend with the ample forehead continues to try jarringly hard to be an irritating little bitch, so much so that it's clear that 75% of her role's content consists of 'okay, now act like an intolerable bitch." And four episodes in, we still haven't had more than maybe half a dozen very fleeting and superficial scenes related to the actual dome itself.

This show is bad and the writers should feel bad.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
This has been renewed.

We're behind an episode, if we get behind 2 we'll probably cancel our season pass. Just care more about the dome than the people in it.