Underrated science fiction movies

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
The third act of Sunshine really turns to shit if you ask me.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Salute of the Jugger
Split Second

(not entirely sure these are true sci-fi, but close enough)

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Has Pandorum been mentioned yet? It's pretty hardcore cheesy like Sunshine, but they jump the shark way earlier in the plot and treat it like an action flick after that. Also, the ending is actually pretty good, if simple and cliched.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I liked the back part of Sunshine fine, I know a lot of people didn't and I can understand why. I liked the idea of what he was going for overall and thought it ended well though.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I always thought the premise for Sunshine was pretty flimsy, so much so that I've never been able to take the rest of the movie seriously at all. I've seen it a few times, and it's entertaining, but... I just can't believe that the Earth has enough mass to prolong the existence of the Sun for any significant amount of time. I mean, the difference in scale between the two is somewhere near throwing a shot glass of boiling water into a swimming pool in the winter. And I'm trying to compare the entire mass of Earth to the Sun, not an amount that they'd be able to sendtwicelike they did in Sunshine.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Salute of the Jugger
Split Second

(not entirely sure these are true sci-fi, but close enough)
Salute of the Jugger is fucking awesome. The sort of old school movie that built up a whole new world to such a degree that you think it has to have been based on a book or comic or something.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really enjoyed Sunshine. Not sure if it is underrated or not. I feel like it was worth more than a 7.2.
Sunshine is Danny Boyle's Alien where some "sci-fi-normal" setup is being bothered with an abnormal element. While the movie's last part can be seen as a b-movie slasher flick, his message was about visuals and alienation. The whole "Kaneda what do you see" momentum is definitely movie climax, while the film's ending feels like lackluster. In my opinon it's more what we've seen rather than what we'd have concluded. 2001 ripoff ? Sure, but isn't it about David Vs Goliath after all ?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Just watched Europa Report on NetFlix. Decent film. The cinematography reminds me a bit of the start of District 9 in that it has a documentary/reality TV vibe to it. It tells the story of the first manned mission to Europa, and without giving anything away, stuff goes wrong.

Now, it's not the best sci-fi flik out there, but I thought it was quite well made and interesting for the 1.5 hours it lasted. My only gripe was that it shifted back and forth in time quite a bit and because some of the characters were similar I did not quite understand everything until about 2/3 in when everything finally made sense.

Still, if you like space exploration films then you probably won't be disappointed.

iannis

Musty Nester
I walked away from Sunshine feeling like I didn't get it. I didn't even mind the 2nd half of the movie and the angel/demon sort of vibe. Hell, I liked it more than the first half. I would have liked that even a little more... not plain, not defined, not explored, but I dunno... Present?

It was interesting, and it was nice to look at, and there was even a mild visceral excitement to be had. I like the movie, but it really natters off into abstract confusion. I guess his point must have been the visuals and alienation (which are well done in my laymans opinion)... because if he had some other point in telling that story I can't figure out what it was.

Cybsled

I'm in the camp that liked Sunshine before the crazy Russian showed up. They could have kept the suicide mission aspect sans crazy dude, kept the same amount of deaths as shit starts to go wrong in the ship for various reasons, and made it less "wtf".

As for the premise, didn't they basically say that the purpose of the mega-nuke was to jump start the sun's fusion cycle, which had stopped for some reason? Still fantasy technobabble, but the nuke's purpose wasn't to add mass to the sun.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
crazy russian dude in sunshine is just the writers saying "i give up" we need some impetus for the story to move along... crazy russian always works.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
As for the premise, didn't they basically say that the purpose of the mega-nuke was to jump start the sun's fusion cycle, which had stopped for some reason? Still fantasy technobabble, but the nuke's purpose wasn't to add mass to the sun.
His point still stands, its like pouring a shot glass into an ocean. That had to be some fuck off big ass nuke! Not to mention the shit would be vaporized before ever reaching where it needed to be to "jump start" anything.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
The third act of Sunshine really turns to shit if you ask me.
Absolutely. It went off the rails big time, which was a tremendous shame, as the first two thirds were fantastic.

His point still stands, its like pouring a shot glass into an ocean. That had to be some fuck off big ass nuke! Not to mention the shit would be vaporized before ever reaching where it needed to be to "jump start" anything.
For some movies, I am more willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of the story, and this film was certainly one of them, but the slasher flick twist was totally shark jumping.

Goatface

Just watched Europa Report .....

Still, if you like space exploration films then you probably won't be disappointed.
just watchedAstronaut: The Last Pushwhich is also about going to Europa, but with no action just dealing with the mental part of it. i liked it, but its appeal won't be for many.

also sawThe Last Days on Mars(rips been out a while) enjoy most all Liev Schreiber's stuff, thought it had a lot of 'well, ok i guess' moments but loved the setting.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
thanks for some awesome flick suggestions for the weekend.
I appreciate the huge selection of films available . Course i come from a time when we watched rollerball , clash of the titans , star wars ten times in theatres cause there was nothing else good coming out in that genre for a couple years.
Plus movies were only 35 cents on post which was the seventies version of affordable childcare for parents .