Underrated science fiction movies

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
That was the original intention. He still seems to have vague plans about another scifi trilogy, if he would just stop making transporter movies
wink.png
He could make Transporter movies IN SPACE. I could believe Jason Statham as a smuggler...

Ebris_sl

shitlord
Not sure if this was mentioned or not but:
Europa Report.

I just watched this recently at the recommendation of a friend and it was very well done.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
You know, I think I'll addOblivionto this list. I went back and re-watched it since I wasn't really paying much attention the first time. The visuals and soundtrack are exceptionally good. The attention to detail for the audio effects I thought was brilliant -- the drones were extremely menacing with the sounds they made.

The last 10 minutes or so of the movie is what made it for me. Seeing Sally (I really would like the read the designer's notes on her) and Jack's speech was great. Even though it's not really the focal point of the movie, if you dig artificial intelligence I think you'll enjoy the movie.

DMK_sl

shitlord
You know, I think I'll addOblivionto this list. I went back and re-watched it since I wasn't really paying much attention the first time. The visuals and soundtrack are exceptionally good. The attention to detail for the audio effects I thought was brilliant -- the drones were extremely menacing with the sounds they made.

The last 10 minutes or so of the movie is what made it for me. Seeing Sally (I really would like the read the designer's notes on her) and Jack's speech was great. Even though it's not really the focal point of the movie, if you dig artificial intelligence I think you'll enjoy the movie.
Agreed. Oblivion was awesome. Except the retarded chick actor he meets up with.

Also Europa report was really good too.

Dworkk

N00b
Didnt see this one listed and, it is a really old movie "Slient Running" with Bruce Dern. I still love this movie.

Caliane

Fighting against your socially engineered fate is retarded.

I thought 2012 was better than people give it credit for.
If it was simply fighting against socially engineered fate, that would be one thing. "I was bred to be a factory working, but I really want to be a librarian!" ok, that is something. Plenty of totalitarian stories are about that. And that is a fair enough point.

Gattaca goes past that. dude with a heart condition wants to be an astronaut. with a stupid message of ignoring your limits, do to what you want. ignoring that you will likely fail and get a ton of people killed in the process, including yourself. The movie undermines its own attempt at a message, by the fact, the guy really shouldn't be the man doing the job. he is unfit even by our standards, nevermind an engineered societies.

Szlia

I saw it too long ago and I only remember 12 fingers piano, vacuuming keyboards and homo-erotic swimming... he HAD a heart condition or he was just PREDISPOSED for heart conditions?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I thought it was just that he was had a heart condition when he was younger and was predisposed to them, but I can't remember. He was obviously able to do all of the physical stuff required so it wasn't that big of a deal, I guess.

iannis

Musty Nester
Oh, forgot A.I. Though no one else I know liked it.

And Johnny Mnemonic!
I liked AI. You get 2 movies for the price of 1.

And they're both fine movies. It's just the tonal shift is mind-blowing in a bad way the 1st time you watch it. On a rewatch when you're aware that shift is coming it's much less "WTF JUST HAPPENED".

I do think there's a very good argument to be made that the movie should have ended at the blue fairy though. But when you stop to think that Spielberg was offering a heartfelt homage to one of his contemporary masters... it adds something very nice to the movie as well and maybe ending it at the blue fairy would have been too fucking dark even for Kubrick.

Lahiri_sl

shitlord
Anybody seen "The Lathe of Heaven"? 1980, PBS-made, extremely dated... but it's still one of my all-time favorite movies. Avoid the James Caan remake, though.

iannis

Musty Nester
Anybody seen "The Lathe of Heaven"? 1980, PBS-made, extremely dated... but it's still one of my all-time favorite movies. Avoid the James Caan remake, though.
I've seen it. But as is so often the case, the book is better. It's a really hard story to do cinematic justice to.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure if this was mentioned or not but:
Europa Report.

I just watched this recently at the recommendation of a friend and it was very well done.
Gonna second that, it basically was Sunshine with b movie production. Very well done, for a low budget movie.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Oh, don't think anyone has mentioned this one butA Man From Earthis good. It's mega low-budget as it's just a handful of people in a house having a chat. But it's very interesting.