Unreal Engine 4 (free!)

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Moving the engine to a new spot wasn't too bad. Nuke intermediate, build, and re-run the project generator bat. Game projects though, lots of hand editing. Lots of full paths to DriveLetter:\Whateverpath to replace.

Not very pro of them

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Seems like this thread should be in tech or something!

Weather Channel used the Unreal Engine for their Hurricane footage of the rising water, cool shit, didn't realize that at the time, I just remember everyone in the Weather thread were impressed:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Amod Amod can this be moved to the tech forum or somewhere more relevant?

The Unreal Engine is amazing, I've been dabbling in it for a couple years now, just saw this video on reddit.
This was Previs for a movie that was cancelled a couple weeks ago. Looks like it could have been amazing.

(After the 4 min sizzle reel, you can stop)

Amazing the graphic fidelity they achieved, this was produced in ~12 weeks.
A bit easier to do this without game logic running and only needing to generate the displayed scene, so we're unlikely to see this in a video game near-term.
Just a glimpse of the future.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

The Unreal Engine is amazing, I've been dabbling in it for a couple years now, just saw this video on reddit.
This was Previs for a movie that was cancelled a couple weeks ago. Looks like it could have been amazing.

A bit easier to do this without game logic running and only needing to generate the displayed scene, so we're unlikely to see this in a video game near-term.
Shit, I want to see that movie happen now!

xzi

Mouthbreather
Is xzi xzi /OP around to give an opinion?

An opinion on moving it? Go for it if that's what you were asking, would be far more suited in the tech forum (I think it originally was on the last forum?)

Also I'll be honest I completely forgot I made this thread lol

I need to start using this thread wtf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

An opinion on moving it? Go for it if that's what you were asking, would be far more suited in the tech forum (I think it originally was on the last forum?)

Also I'll be honest I completely forgot I made this thread lol

I need to start using this thread wtf

Thread moved to Tech forum.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So I'm back working in blueprint again and still shocked that nobody has made an external diff tool for this. I'm not sure if I should do that, or try to hack the git plugin so it actually is useful.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So I'm back working in blueprint again and still shocked that nobody has made an external diff tool for this. I'm not sure if I should do that, or try to hack the git plugin so it actually is useful.
I have seen BP Diff tools before, a quick google search got me here:

Maybe it'll help.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea it almost seems like everyone has perforce just for blueprints. There's a git plugin in beta but it sort of tries to guess your project root and doesn't let you change it. I can't imagine that working ever except in a really basic demo.

What I'd really like is an external tool like winmerge or something that you can use from a client like sourcetree. Maybe I should write one.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've started on this and the load code for blueprints is nightmarish. Deep call stacks, lots of hacks to get around race conditions. I'm now just trying to trick unreal into loading something on an external path or even from ram. It seems very determined to only deal with things in its own little asset folders.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I've started on this and the load code for blueprints is nightmarish. Deep call stacks, lots of hacks to get around race conditions. I'm now just trying to trick unreal into loading something on an external path or even from ram. It seems very determined to only deal with things in its own little asset folders.

Im a coding noob so dunno! I like Blueprints, but the best workflow I've seen is create a C++ base class and then make child blueprints.
For loading stuff, yes Unreal is picky and needs to have everything in the content folder.
You can drag & drop assets outside the program that don't have dependencies, but anything with dependencies should be migrated into your project's content folder.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Is there a good idiots guide to UE4 any of you would recommend?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
What's your goal.
You could specialize in just 1 area and spend a very long time trying to master it.

I have a fairly massive collection of shortcuts to various UE4 resources, so I could probably link you to something you're interested in.

The Unreal Youtube is FULL of tutorials, I've watched most:

Linking to the playlists where there are tutorial series:

If you just want to make a map, here's a tutorial I watched recently from the guy that makes a bunch of assets:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

New: UMG Widget Diffing
We have expanded and improved Blueprint Diffing to support Widget Blueprints as well as Actor and Animation Blueprints! The new tools also show changes made to the structure of the Blueprint, adding property and function flags, class settings, parent class, and added Components, in addition to default property values (which now include the default properties of Widgets and Widget Slots) and changes to Blueprint Graphs.

image_36.jpg

If you have written a custom Blueprint subclass that you would like to diff, you can override the FindDiffs function, which enables you to list specific changes you want to show, and to request subobjects for diffing.