Unreal Engine 4 (free!)

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So joined Ryan Layley's patreon, and it has a fucking ton of game files etc.

Prolly the best 10$ I'll spend on this project.

And going to make a go of it. I'll have a lot of time over the next year or so (provided the world doesnt fucking burn), and this is as good a thing to take on as anything else.

So lets see if zero programming knowledge (could do C+ in high school, barely), zero UE4 knowledge, zero game making experience, can make a MMO in a year. Lulz.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So doing tutorials etc.

I try to swap out whats in Unreal, the default mannequine, for another asset. The mesh etc. The model moves, breathes etc, but when going from A to B (pathing) it just slides.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So doing tutorials etc.

I try to swap out whats in Unreal, the default mannequine, for another asset. The mesh etc. The model moves, breathes etc, but when going from A to B (pathing) it just slides.

Create 2 variables, 1 in your character BP and 1 in your Anim BP event graph.

In the Anim BP event graph, get the value of the variable you created in your character bp and update the variable in your Anim BP to be the same value.

Use the Anim bp variable to update a State in the Anim Graph that plays a walking animation if true, when false make it go back to the idle state.

On my phone, so hard to explain much more

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Eh fuck it, just going to stick with the mannequins since all that is already done and provided.

Aka, easy.

Lol

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Eh fuck it, just going to stick with the mannequins since all that is already done and provided.

Aka, easy.

Lol

You can DL the free Paragon Character(s) which have some basic Anim BP setup done and then you expand on them. They are super high quality models which can bog down your system though. For learning, they are a decent free resource. You can copy the Anim BP code at least to see how things should be done. I wouldn't recommend using the Paragon Characters unless you plan to be pigeonholed into those models/animations. Retargeting new animations, changing outfits, weapons, etc, can't easily be done.

Also, are you creating an NPC character or a playable character? You said "going from A to B", is that AI controlled? If AI Controlled, keep in mind that the "server" might not be replicating your variables down to your "player character". So it might be replication issue.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You can DL the free Paragon Character(s) which have some basic Anim BP setup done and then you expand on them. They are super high quality models which can bog down your system though. For learning, they are a decent free resource. You can copy the Anim BP code at least to see how things should be done. I wouldn't recommend using the Paragon Characters unless you plan to be pigeonholed into those models/animations. Retargeting new animations, changing outfits, weapons, etc, can't easily be done.

Also, are you creating an NPC character or a playable character? You said "going from A to B", is that AI controlled? If AI Controlled, keep in mind that the "server" might not be replicating your variables down to your "player character". So it might be replication issue.

Single player, pathing test.

Dont like the Paragon stuff, its too high res. Have it all, but never use it. Same with the infinity whatever characters, but they are more in the realm of "normal".

Right now just learning, spent the past few days thinking about how to do what parts of things I need done to have the systems I want to use. I've found some walkthroughs, templates etc so I think most of what I want to create is out there for the most part. But I'm a layman at best so its going to be a tough climb.

Fucking need like 3 or 4 ppl tbh. Its a lot of shit to do solo.

Flobee Flobee lets make a game sir.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Single player, pathing test.

Dont like the Paragon stuff, its too high res. Have it all, but never use it. Same with the infinity whatever characters, but they are more in the realm of "normal".

Right now just learning, spent the past few days thinking about how to do what parts of things I need done to have the systems I want to use. I've found some walkthroughs, templates etc so I think most of what I want to create is out there for the most part. But I'm a layman at best so its going to be a tough climb.

Fucking need like 3 or 4 ppl tbh. Its a lot of shit to do solo.

Flobee Flobee lets make a game sir.

Yea I understand but just saying you can Add 1 character and copy the Anim BP code. I have done this with many example projects. If you dont want to pollute your project, create a new 1 and have 2 UE4 projects open simultaneously and start copying code. I have downloaded a bunch of different projects so that I could steal code.

Also for Animations/Movement, I highly recommend looking into this, which works perfectly with Mannequin-based characters & includes a MASSIVE Anim BP already setup to handle nearly everything (And Epic made it Free for All):
For my game that is using the Paragon characters, & is multiplayer, I can't easily implement it, but I've stolen some code from this system & copied some concepts.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Yea I understand but just saying you can Add 1 character and copy the Anim BP code. I have done this with many example projects. If you dont want to pollute your project, create a new 1 and have 2 UE4 projects open simultaneously and start copying code. I have downloaded a bunch of different projects so that I could steal code.

Also for Animations/Movement, I highly recommend looking into this, which works perfectly with Mannequin-based characters & includes a MASSIVE Anim BP already setup to handle nearly everything (And Epic made it Free for All):
For my game that is using the Paragon characters, & is multiplayer, I can't easily implement it, but I've stolen some code from this system & copied some concepts.

I'll pick it up.

Really love:

I think I finally got enough understanding to follow these tutorials, and am starting to make progress. Might be getting hooked, so that would be awesome.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I have aspirations to use something like the system developed by this guy: http://sabredartstudios.com/

to set up a basic combat simulation at a minimum. I have some MMO combat ideas that I think might be really cool but would want to try it myself. This guy has basically open sourced a base client/server system for MMO's. Also shows how to use the GAS system for abilities and a bunch of other cool stuff. He just restarted his example project so hoping to dive in more before too long.

I think that a grassroots effort could actually be conceivable using a tool like this with a smallish team

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Flobee Flobee hop in discord this week.

I think scaling etc is pretty far down the pipe, but I'd like to talk to you at some point re: ideas.

In short, I think that creating the sytems for the game, that can be scaled / propagated is where to start. There are some mechanic ideas I have had for years that should not be too difficult. Basically, make a world to play in, worry about "game" later.

1591031923185.png

Cant get the trigger volume to work . . .

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I have aspirations to use something like the system developed by this guy: http://sabredartstudios.com/

to set up a basic combat simulation at a minimum. I have some MMO combat ideas that I think might be really cool but would want to try it myself. This guy has basically open sourced a base client/server system for MMO's. Also shows how to use the GAS system for abilities and a bunch of other cool stuff. He just restarted his example project so hoping to dive in more before too long.

I think that a grassroots effort could actually be conceivable using a tool like this with a smallish team

I have followed & watched most of his videos and learned quite a bit. He does do it with the intention of promoting his "product", which is to host servers for you. I'm using GAS for my game, takes a lot of setup but it's powerful.

Expect to do some C++ with GAS.

Flobee Flobee hop in discord this week.

I think scaling etc is pretty far down the pipe, but I'd like to talk to you at some point re: ideas.

In short, I think that creating the sytems for the game, that can be scaled / propagated is where to start. There are some mechanic ideas I have had for years that should not be too difficult. Basically, make a world to play in, worry about "game" later.

View attachment 274345

Cant get the trigger volume to work . . .

Couple issues here. The Check if "Other Actor = Player Character" probably won't work. Do a Print string to see if its ever true.
Player Controller with a target of self probably won't work, assuming "self" is the volume and not the character.
This works using default character:
I'm not sure how you planned to re-enable input though.

VolOverlap.PNG

Last edited:

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I have followed & watched most of his videos and learned quite a bit. He does do it with the intention of promoting his "product", which is to host servers for you. I'm using GAS for my game, takes a lot of setup but it's powerful.

Expect to do some C++ with GAS.

Couple issues here. The Check if "Other Actor = Player Character" probably won't work. Do a Print string to see if its ever true.
Player Controller with a target of self probably won't work, assuming "self" is the volume and not the character.
This works using default character:
I'm not sure how you planned to re-enable input though.

View attachment 274382

1591034703007.png

This one works . . . Thats whats fucking with me.

The two are virtually identical. Tried adding the second branch, and it didnt fix it.

Collision for the 2 are identical.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
There is something fucked up in the trigger box is my guess?

But fuck I cant find whatever it is.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
There is something fucked up in the trigger box is my guess?

But fuck I cant find whatever it is.

Must be a collision setting I'd think. Make sure they "Generate Overlap Events" and collision profile is "Overlap All" or, you can do "Custom" and make it only "Overlap Pawn" or something, for less random triggers.

Keep in mind when you use "Get Player Character" and "Get Player Controller". These will NOT work for a Multiplayer game, so if you're set on Single-Player then go for it, if you intend to make it Multiplayer, you need to abandon these nodes. Except in Widget blueprints, then it can be fine.

Also add Print Strings everywhere to see where it fails.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
All collision settings between the fuctional and non functional ones are identical . . . shit is starting to really irritate me.

1591035526695.png

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
All collision settings between the fuctional and non functional ones are identical . . . shit is starting to really irritate me.

View attachment 274391
Put a Print string right after the Overlap Event to see if it even triggers. If yes, then the Collision is fine, if no, then it's something with your Actor: Either the Trigger Volume is too small, not in the right spot, offset from the mesh, collisions not right, etc.

Also, if you already have a working blueprint, you may be able to use it as a Parent then make children BP from it where you swap the Mesh or change other parameters....

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So, when you keep going over something, and you know its GOT TO BE A SIMPLE PROBLEM . . .