Unreal Engine 4 (free!)

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Neato! Glad to see they are still adding to it.

What would really be nice is something lightweight you could call up from command line, so it would work from git diff or whatever. I started on that before I got distracted by classic.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
New Engine feature is sick: Multi-User Sessions
Plugin is in beta

Allows multiple users to edit a level together in real time, from remote locations if desired.

Prior to this, editing a "level" in UE4 was locked to single user at a time, this tech will allow faster development for games and also for UE4 video production. Pretty damn amazing imo.

Short video of the plugin starts here, after the ~2mins the rest of the video is a live stream on setting it up & using it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
So I was dicking around with Unity for a while but got a bit frustrated with their chainging multiplayer code. Since it was in a state of flux I had to wait to do the stuff I wanted to do, so I took a break. Looking to maybe start to learn UE4/C++. Anyone know of any good tutorials to follow? I was using Udemy for Unity and I see there are some well reviewed courses for UE4 that I'll likely start with. I know some of yall are actively using the engine so thought I'd ask for advice.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So I was dicking around with Unity for a while but got a bit frustrated with their chainging multiplayer code. Since it was in a state of flux I had to wait to do the stuff I wanted to do, so I took a break. Looking to maybe start to learn UE4/C++. Anyone know of any good tutorials to follow? I was using Udemy for Unity and I see there are some well reviewed courses for UE4 that I'll likely start with. I know some of yall are actively using the engine so thought I'd ask for advice.

I've posted about tutorials and stuff above.. only thing I'll add is that multiplayer in ue4 is extremely time consuming and tricky. I never played with unity to compare, but in ue4 you can really turn your brain into knots.

The best resource for multiplayer is this document:

Last edited:

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I've posted about tutorials and stuff above.. only thing I'll add is that multiplayer in ue4 is extremely time consuming and tricky. I never played with unity to compare, but in ue4 you can really turn your brain into knots.

The best resource for multiplayer is this document:

Thanks! I ended up following the below from the UE youtube channel

Gets you basic Steam integration with working LAN capability. Basically just a structure that creates a game lobby, allows players to join and select a character, game settings, and chat then launch a map. I'd never used Blueprint so it was a good introduction for me. I'm going to check your link as I'm now looking to expand and customize. Then I'll need to learn to actually make it a game.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks! I ended up following the below from the UE youtube channel

Gets you basic Steam integration with working LAN capability. Basically just a structure that creates a game lobby, allows players to join and select a character, game settings, and chat then launch a map. I'd never used Blueprint so it was a good introduction for me. I'm going to check your link as I'm now looking to expand and customize. Then I'll need to learn to actually make it a game.

I started with that same tutorial, I might still be using some of the code. I changed a lot and implemented a GameSparks login system, I figure I'd start with a platform agnostic system then can incorporate steam/epic/etc later.

Re: the compendium I linked, slide 8 is really the key in understanding how things need to flow.

Also im not sure how widespread the networking issues in 4.24 are but since upgrading the engine to the recent version+hotfix (4.24.1, source built), some of my RPC events stopped firing unless I make them "reliable".

Not an ideal situation but it's forcing me to go back and implement more checks and procedures to counter latency.

I found 1 other guy describing the same issue on the official forums:

His response:

Just keep in mind if you're trying to do RPC calls and they don't seem to be triggering.

4.22 was a solid build but I really wanted to try out the new map tools in 4.24.
Only problem is the map tools seem to have issues with World Composition lol.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Solidarity

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
When I was doing fur for neofur, there were only a few tools that would make the guides. Maya full version had that shave and a haircut thing that would do it, but I had maya LT so I just had to use other people's stuff.

From the article it sounds like there's alot more solutions out there now for grooming the guides.

I don't really see individual strand rendering working for awhile. I wonder what it falls back to at a distance or if the scene is crowded? The tricky bit with fins and shells and cards is you really need transparency, but to do so requires sorting.

The tressFX stuff did a bucket sort in the shader but was limited to a fixed number. Not really sure what happened if you went over, maybe it just drew that piece of hair in random order.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So UE5 was announced.

But what I think is important is that you will be able to migrate to it from UE4

We’re designing for forward compatibility, so you can get started with next-gen development now in UE4 and move your projects to UE5 when ready.

Also Epic is changing their Revenue policy to NOT collect any royalties on the first $1 million you make from your game, so now small-time pubs are basically using the engine for free.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Dude, everything they've showcased is nothing short of witchcraft. I don't know how in the fuck they're going to pull this off but I'm genuinely impressed.

That not collecting on $1 Million is insane too. After them buying a bunch of exclusives I kind of stopped participating in anything EPIC but maybe it's time to dust off ye olde unreal engine, cause holy shit

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Dude, everything they've showcased is nothing short of witchcraft. I don't know how in the fuck they're going to pull this off but I'm genuinely impressed.

That not collecting on $1 Million is insane too. After them buying a bunch of exclusives I kind of stopped participating in anything EPIC but maybe it's time to dust off ye olde unreal engine, cause holy shit

I'd really like to know how they accomplished the Nanite tech. Right now everything in UE4 utilizes proxy meshes with lower polycounts to help keep framerate high, I can't imagine billions of triangles in the scene like that. However, UE4 CAN handle in the low millions pretty easily already.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
The nanite thing makes no fucking sense that scene is running at more than 3fps. Assuming that's not just a pre-rendered scene.. that shit will change the entire industry. Photogrammetry and megascans have existed for a while now but this is so much more intense than either of those things.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Looks pretty damn wild.

Have no idea how to use it, or how it works, but should be great for devs. Lol

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Whole video is worth the watch but I queued it up to a video they show which I'm guessing has a lot to do with the new UE5

EDIT or maybe not since the pS5 has AMD but I still think it is using a technology very similar.

Last edited: