Upcoming Patch: Druid & Shaman Changes, Classic Mob and Weapon Models Added

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Someone said pets weren't effected.

That's too bad, I always liked Mr Poopy.

MrPoopy.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mur

Trakanon Raider
No shit, or in this case, YES SHIT!

I have old models on, I'll have to get into the settings tonight.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I'm very very ignorant of how code works, how much individual servers can (or cannot) be tweaked, how zone/npc/hit detection works, how complex installing pre-existing material is to work with current code etc...

Quite basically, in an ELI5 format, how easy/difficult is it for DBG to give us back our old world zones?

Is it easy and they're just kinda too zealous/proud to "backpedal" to an inferior layout/look?
Or is it actually a shitload of work / coding / retuning to bring back our beloved Freeport, Highpass, etc.?

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
OH! ...and when I say inferior layout/look:

In the purest sense, the updated zones (all of them) do LOOK better. Our nostalgia/memories is what keeps us from admitting it I think. Yes, on a subjective level, I too would rather have old Lavastorm and the other zones be implemented for Agnarr, but objectively, it's kinda like comparing NES to SNES... the difference is quite clear.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I think the early levels were bsp style built in the tanarus tools right? Luclin stuff is convex terrain + convex hull and span buffer portal checks for culling? Forget what that library is called.

Should be able to convert the old levels into some kind of raw format and get it into max or maya and do something with it. I'm sure people puzzled out the file formats at some point in the 69 year history.

I'm going to google around and see what I can find.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea I found an old bit of c that loads up the maps. There's bsp stuff in here as well as terrain and octree stuff assuming for the terrain raycasting.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
SOOOO happy about the weapon models

I knew that druid and shaman nerf was coming. I have been fiddling on test with a druid and their dots were OP as shit.

On Live Dru/Sha dots got inadvertently nerfed damage wise in the low levels. This is bringing the damage up significantly which is a positive

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm

In the purest sense, the updated zones (all of them) do LOOK better. Our nostalgia/memories is what keeps us from admitting it I think. Yes, on a subjective level, I too would rather have old Lavastorm and the other zones be implemented for Agnarr, but objectively, it's kinda like comparing NES to SNES... the difference is quite clear.

New Freeport is one of the worst layouts ever. Not just appearance or nostalgia; the "main roads" dead end and you have to basically loop around corners and do extremely awkward things to get from place to place. It's easier to move around places like Neriak. It makes no sense.

...and it's the central zone of the game, really, for a couple expansions.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Guarantee you the person who "ok'd" the new Freeport is legally retarded. I was not around to see it until the Ragefire release, and I was just floored.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Now if they could just make old models use mounts...

It's a hard pill for companies to swallow that their new shit is....shit and the players want the old shit back because its THE shit.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh and one more thing...they need to fucking fix the iksar 2hb animation, how the fuck is this a real thing in 2017?

Sterling

El Presidente
Can use mounts with old models, you just look super retarded doing it since your guy is basically standing and has the mount sort of superimposed on him.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

I don't think they "look" better at all. Maybe it's Freeport's fault but I really feel the zones lost their color and appropriate scale to the player models. I think they are an absolute mess. Again, I think they got Nek fairly close but everything else is pretty poorly designed. This is all subjective of course.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can use mounts with old models, you just look super retarded doing it since your guy is basically standing and has the mount sort of superimposed on him.

Reason why AoNs are the most expensive / sought after item in Classic.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Reason why AoNs are the most expensive / sought after item in Classic.
While Damdor looted it to get credit on the website, I won the first AoN dropped on Vulak! and I was a necro... hehe

(cool story bruh!)

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I don't think they "look" better at all. Maybe it's Freeport's fault but I really feel the zones lost their color and appropriate scale to the player models. I think they are an absolute mess. Again, I think they got Nek fairly close but everything else is pretty poorly designed. This is all subjective of course.

freeport.jpg

Get a load of NEW NEW FREEPORT and you'll change your tune~~~

Seriously though, to reiterate, I don't believe they're better zones... hope I wasn't misunderstood as touting these zones as desirable; I hated it when they revamped zones on live and still want my old zones back when I start Agnarr!

freportw-gate.jpg

freeportwest-gate.jpg