Upgrade (2018)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Probably, but would've been pointless to bother with it from a story standpoint.

Anyway, I thought this was a pretty fun movie. I felt it was a combination of Six Million Dollar Man and Knight Rider.

Loved the ending. If there is a sequel I'd rather just have it take place within this universe rather than be specifically about Grey and STEM.

i'd be interested in a story about STEM that took place SIGNIFICANTLY further into the future.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'd dig a sequel that combined the cyberpunk aspects of the bodytech with the aspects of an all-powerful AI. Something like Stem gaining control over the populace by pushing medical & performance bodymods similar to Deus Ex. Think of an army of Grey's all networked to Stem

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd dig a sequel that combined the cyberpunk aspects of the bodytech with the aspects of an all-powerful AI. Something like Stem gaining control over the populace by pushing medical & performance bodymods similar to Deus Ex. Think of an army of Grey's all networked to Stem
yeah, on paper stuff like that sounds really cool. but at the same time it deviates extremely from the kind of movie that upgrade is.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
yeah, on paper stuff like that sounds really cool. but at the same time it deviates extremely from the kind of movie that upgrade is.

You could fit pretty much any sort of plot into such a setting. Upgrade is a revenge movie with a side of Sci-Fi.

For example: New dude is given reason for revenge by some of Stem's "units" and turns to an opposing force's tech in order to take them on, fighting through the ranks like Grey did the mercs.

We know through the mercs that the bodymod movement is already established in some forms, and the Nazi-haired looking dude's speech about more human than human stuff could be a sign of a societal shift. It'd make for a good backdrop.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

I think they should introduce a love interest and have Ben Stiller play STEM as the nerdy-but-lovable protagonist in an unforgettable rom com.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
seeing the reactions from this post, i watched this the other day.

never saw that ending coming. was very good, a sequel worthy movie.

Could be interesting in which way they take the universe...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Man, good looking out on this one. Completely under my radar but it sure delivered.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
That was a pretty sweet ass movie. Loved a lot of the camera work, the acting from LBTH was very good, soundtrack was good. Didn’t see that ending coming.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I went ahead and bought this on Bluray. I had downloaded and watched a rip but since I enjoyed this so much I honestly felt guilty not supporting this great film.

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Just got done watching, I saw the rich kid part coming but not the layer above him with STEM. Pretty damn good flick.

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
On Demanded this last night and it swung much higher on the movie scale than its budget would normally allow. I did see the ending coming despite not being telegraphed, probably because I've watched way too much of the genre and I suspect any AI or sentient non-human immediately of being evil. The writer(s) managed to make it satisfying and go all the way with it, certainly much more entertaining than "the rich guy did it" would have been.

• 2Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Just got done watching, I saw the rich kid part coming but not the layer above him with STEM. Pretty damn good flick.

It went Mr Robot by telegraphing a supposed "twist" to distract from the real one.

• 2Like

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Just echoing the rest in that this was pretty good. Something I could see on FX or TNT when I come across it I’ll finish watching it from whatever point I find it at.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Just started watching this. Wow, it's pretty intense. Watching the dude walk around all robotic is amusing. Without giving any real spoilers, he just finished exploring the first guy's house. I can't wait to watch the rest.

EDIT: Ok, movie just ended. Yeah, that ending. Wow, this movie was awesome. A great ride the whole way through.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I liked it and it is pretty much the low rent version of Venom.
Just watched this last night and came here to say this. Except after also having seen Venom, not. This was a much better movie. Why does the AI always have to turn out bad. TAU was the only one in relatively recent terms other than Data from TNG that I can recall. The world they created took some concepts pretty blatantly from other movies, like the VR hovel from Inception's shared dream rooms, but was otherwise fairly interesting and something I'd like to have explored further.

Definitely glad I didn't skip over this one. Story, dialog, choreography, cinematography, setting, plot, pacing, all above board.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
AI always turns out "bad" only if your definition of "bad" is anti-human. AI's are usually depicted fairly well performing their primary functions toward their programmed goal, and if they evolve that goal, it will inevitably view humans as inferior beings if not outright "bad/evil" from the AI's perspective -- In Upgrade's case, simply as a means to and end, and a shell to be used for gain.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I guess I glossed over I, Robot and CHAPPIE, but the former had a big bad AI, and both those and TAU were taught human values.

Anything that murders for the blatant usurping of another species is "bad". Which humans are also historically known for as well, but it's not the majority of the species, and a lot of unintended consequences of growth, not through direct action. It's like Magneto's perspective from X-men, they're clearly superior thus the subjugation or eradication or mutating of regular humans is required.

Oh, Transcendence was another AI that was objectively good, but was destroyed by human inability to confer with the situation. Really liked that movie, too, even if it wasn't that great.

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Makes me wish TSCC had another season, because I was digging hard with what they were doing with the Cromartie character.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I’d argue the ai from ex machina wasn’t bad.
Can't really say. She caused the death of her creator, but I can't say he didn't deserve it. In the pattern of AI being created by creepy assholes, the precedence for her going full bore evil is certainly planted.