USPS stole my mail. Now what?

joz123

Potato del Grande
Long story short, I bought a phone on amazon and realized I didn't want it after all. After I receive the package I ship it back with the RMA through USPS post office. I never had a problem with shipping things without tracking/insurance for years up until now. A month goes by and the seller from Amazon never got the return. I have called the post office many times and the supervisor just tells me to wait longer because some shipments take longer than others. It has never taken over a month for one of my returns to be received. So I filed a claim with Amazon and I get a response saying that since the seller never got the return the claim was denied and USPS is denying any wrong doing. I used most of it with amazon credit but about 80ish went on a credit card. I also filed a claim through the USPS site that tracks down missing/stolen mail but pretty sure that wont do anything. Since my CC was billed to the seller and not USPS am I pretty much screwed on trying to get any kind of money back? This makes me never want to use USPS for anything ever again.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Long story short, I bought a phone on amazon and realized I didn't want it after all. After I receive the package I ship it back with the RMA through USPS post office. I never had a problem with shipping things without tracking/insurance for years up until now. A month goes by and the seller from Amazon never got the return. I have called the post office many times and the supervisor just tells me to wait longer because some shipments take longer than others. It has never taken over a month for one of my returns to be received. So I filed a claim with Amazon and I get a response saying that since the seller never got the return the claim was denied and USPS is denying any wrong doing. I used most of it with amazon credit but about 80ish went on a credit card. I also filed a claim through the USPS site that tracks down missing/stolen mail but pretty sure that wont do anything. Since my CC was billed to the seller and not USPS am I pretty much screwed on trying to get any kind of money back? This makes me never want to use USPS for anything ever again.
The chances that it was stolen by the USPS are very, very slim. My dad has worked in a major USPS sorting facility for 30+ years, and he has all sorts of stories about lost mail. He occasionally finds mail, including small packages, that are YEARS old which fell into crevices, cracks, etc., and were chalked up as lost and forgotten.

I think that's the most likely scenario, i.e., bad luck. Given the sheer number of mail that moves through the postal system it's really impressive how little is actually lost.

By the way, don't think that using UPS or FedEx or DHS would be any better. I used to work in a large UPS sorting facility and the shit I saw people doing with packages (like knowingly throwing a package addressed for Virginia into a truck heading towards California) was awful.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Do you have a tracking number?

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
The chances that it was stolen by the USPS are very, very slim. My dad has worked in a major USPS sorting facility for 30+ years, and he has all sorts of stories about lost mail. He occasionally finds mail, including small packages, that are YEARS old which fell into crevices, cracks, etc., and were chalked up as lost and forgotten.

I think that's the most likely scenario, i.e., bad luck. Given the sheer number of mail that moves through the postal system it's really impressive how little is actually lost.

By the way, don't think that using UPS or FedEx or DHS would be any better. I used to work in a large UPS sorting facility and the shit I saw people doing with packages (like knowingly throwing a package addressed for Virginia into a truck heading towards California) was awful.
I've done that as a loader at FedEx. It was too much of a hassle to take it off the truck and get it sent elsewhere. Oh the college years.

thefaceless

Golden Squire
My guess is the seller got it, and they're just lying to you. If it's a valuable item you gotta get it tracked.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
If it makes you feel any better, my company sent out $3600 of merchandise out to Texas one day and one of our employees forgot to request a signature on the package. So they left it on the porch.

The recipient got it, immediately claimed he never received and filed a chargeback. We were out $3600 with no way of fighting it.

I fired her the same day I found out about it.

iannis

Musty Nester
UPS/Fedex loaders... We used to kick boxes because we were pissed off. Buncha 18-20 year old guys sweating their balls off schlubbing boxes into trucks with productivity evaluations? You takes your chances. That said, getting paid to work out was kinda awesome. Never mark anything fragile.

OP: You could contest it with your credit card, but I imagine that you're still fucked without a tracking #. I made this same mistake with a motherboard I ordered online once. I even filed a complaint against that company with their local BBB. Never got my money back.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Like others have mentioned you are pretty much fucked, chalk it up to a life lesson and always pay the extra bit of money if the packages is valuable enough that you don't want to lose.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Stealing mail is a federal crime, so sounds like its time to take the law into your own hands. Get an assault grapefruit spoon and make the people at the post office pay.

Do you know which post office did the stealin?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Post office wouldnt give a shit about his package.

Either they lost it, or the recipient is lying. I've seen enough individual mail fraud at my company and elsewhere to believe its the latter

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My wife is a mail carrier for the post office, losing or stealing mail is very serious shit. They just got a new kid and a whole street didn't receive their mail one day, kid claiming he delivered it and the mail is just gone. They have their own investigative force that is following him around in secret to try to catch him. Not sure how to get that involved for you, but I doubt the USPS stole your package, and moreso why was that your first thought? Most likely buyer spent your money and didn't want to refund you.

Bought a guitar years ago that was shipped UPS. Never arrived. UPS told me they scanned it in but lost it. Took 3 months before one day it magically showed up at my house. The worst part was the company accidentally shipped me the wrong guitar. This stuff happens with every company

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
My wife is a mail carrier for the post office, losing or stealing mail is very serious shit. They just got a new kid and a whole street didn't receive their mail one day, kid claiming he delivered it and the mail is just gone. They have their own investigative force that is following him around in secret to try to catch him. Not sure how to get that involved for you, but I doubt the USPS stole your package, and moreso why was that your first thought? Most likely buyer spent your money and didn't want to refund you.

Bought a guitar years ago that was shipped UPS. Never arrived. UPS told me they scanned it in but lost it. Took 3 months before one day it magically showed up at my house. The worst part was the company accidentally shipped me the wrong guitar. This stuff happens with every company
My uncle is a mail carrier and a guy he used to work with would watch peoples' Netflix DVDs before delivering them.

Half my family works for the USPS in some capacity. The shit they tell me...it's such a fucked up organization.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I work in Logistics. Always get a tracking number in the future, always.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If it makes you feel any better, my company sent out $3600 of merchandise out to Texas one day and one of our employees forgot to request a signature on the package. So they left it on the porch.

The recipient got it, immediately claimed he never received and filed a chargeback. We were out $3600 with no way of fighting it.

I fired her the same day I found out about it.
Had an acquittance who did something like that. UPS left a $500 monitor from Dell on his door steps while no one was home. He comes home, picks up the package then proceeds to call Dell and tell them how UPS left it on his door step and someone stole it.

Dell sends out a new monitor.