Utnayan backlog challenge: part 2 ends Jan 31

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220126_033711.jpg

Finished Scott Pilgrim vs The World. This has been on the backlog for years cause I love the movie. Well, the game is kind of medium, lot of bugs and whatnot but it has enough charm to get by. Was surprised to find that even though it's a beat-em-up, you pretty much have to level up to proceed through the game normally. Had a lot of trouble with Level 2 and then game over'd a few times on Level 3, so I stopped and grinded for a couple hours to be able to buy stat and exp items, then plowed the rest with a maxed-out Ramona.

20220126_034558.jpg

Oh yeah, and you only get a trophy for beating the game as Scott. Well F that! I beat the game as Ramona and I'm good with that. Now for, groan, the rest of Spirit Tracks, my final boss in the backlog-verse.

20211204_224512.jpg

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Doom (2016)
Doom2016.JPG

Doom2016Complete.JPG

The Doom talk in the thread helped get this one done. Thanks fellas, I was missing out.

CompletedCropped.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is there any question at this point that Rajaah is going to win the $50? Lol !! I love this thread for sure, but I'll just be happy to get one done per month to get in for the raffle. Lol

Rajaah , let us know when you out of games to complete, then we all get back in on the competition!! lol

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Is there any question at this point that Rajaah is going to win the $50? Lol !! I love this thread for sure, but I'll just be happy to get one done per month to get in for the raffle. Lol

Rajaah , let us know when you out of games to complete, then we all get back in on the competition!! lol

I believe both prizes are random. So one is rolled between everyone who participated and one is rolled with more weight given to the people with more games.

What helps me is that the contests came along at a time when I was already planning on clearing out as much backlog as I can (Dec/Jan/Feb). I've definitely cleared out a lot more than I would have been motivated to do without the contests. I've only cleared like half of what I wanted to thusfar too.

Two dungeons left in Spirit Tracks. I'm never, ever, ever playing any stylus-based games again after this, no siree

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Enjoyed the story less but the gameplay more compared to previous Spider-man game. Handling of the villains and shoddy writing induced many eye rolls, but compared to the remaster on PS5 there is an improvement in how it plays. Plan to go back and finish the side stuff.

Spider-man_MM_Complete.jpg

CompletedCropped.png

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm still working on Zelda: Spirit Tracks. Game is horrible, so I'm here to warn people against it. Looks like a lot of comment sections on the game are full of people saying it's the worst Zelda game, or that it's their last one so they're playing it out of completionism/obligation. Which is the boat I'm in, it's one of my last Zeldas along with Skyward and BOTW.

Sad thing is, it's clear they did try with the game, and there are some good ideas in it. Zelda being your accomplice for the entire game is charming as fuck and I wish other Zelda games did that.

This game is so rough, though, that I think it might be the last backlogged game I ever take on out of "obligation". I wanted to beat every main-series Zelda game and I'm almost there.

I'm on the last dungeon now. The game goes way past the "expiration date" by throwing two more dungeons at you right when you think you're done with the game. Like, after you clear all the temples and scale the tower that the game has been building up to, and fight a boss on the roof, it's a perfect time to go right to the final boss. Instead, the game grinds to a halt and they tell you that you have to go get one more item before you can fight the bad guy, and that item is in this lost temple that you have to go do. Said temple is the most annoying dungeon in the game by far. Then after that, you go back to the tower and, wait, you gotta go back through a few "hidden floors" below the top to actually find the area where the final boss is. So basically they throw the game's two worst dungeons at you right when you think you're done, which I imagine erked plenty of people who just wanted to get the game over with.

It's worth noting that the vast majority of the game's issues could have been solved by just letting players use the (unused) analog stick and D-Pad for stuff like movement, and getting rid of the microphone-based minigames. Basically, get rid of all the gimmicky motion/mic control bullshit and the game is saved.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A few more days left fellas. Been busy playing a little Kingdom Come Deliverance. What an amazing game.

With the chiefs game sunday someone Utnayan Utnayan maybe tally up the peeps for me to do the raffle thanks! I'll try and do it first thing next week.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's worth noting that the vast majority of the game's issues could have been solved by just letting players use the (unused) analog stick and D-Pad for stuff like movement, and getting rid of the microphone-based minigames. Basically, get rid of all the gimmicky motion/mic control bullshit and the game is saved.
Weird cause I enjoyed the hell out of Phantom Hourglass.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Weird cause I enjoyed the hell out of Phantom Hourglass.

Some people really like the DS Zeldas, I'm just not one of them. If I'd played them in-era when they were more of a thing, alongside other people, I'd probably have liked them more. Instead I played them like ten years after the fact just because I wanted to finish the series, so it was work.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
BlackOps2.JPG

BlackOps2Complete.JPG

Abandoned this back when it came out because those optional strikeforce missions were a pain but were required for the best ending. Add that you only get limited retries and yeah, fuck that noise at higher difficulties. When the goal this time was just to get it done instead of do it perfectly, was able to tick one off the list that's been there since 2014.

CompletedCropped.png

• 3Like

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
CallofJuarezGunslinger.JPG

CallofJuarezGunslinger_Complete.JPG

Like others, this had been on the backlog for many years, finally gave some time to it. It's a quick 5 hour romp told after the fact as the gunslinger recalls his story to patrons of the bar. As he's telling it, corrections and ad-libs change the enemy and terrain. It's lighthearted and plays like a gallery shooter at times, with a dueling mini-game ending most levels. This would make a good breather between long ass games.

CompletedCropped.png

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This ends tomorrow night, right? The end of the 31st, not the beginning of the 31st?

Cause I got to the (awful and tedious) final boss of Spirit Tracks and penciled it in for tomorrow since I wanted to relax today and hang out with people.

Like others, this had been on the backlog for many years, finally gave some time to it. It's a quick 5 hour romp told after the fact as the gunslinger recalls his story to patrons of the bar. As he's telling it, corrections and ad-libs change the enemy and terrain. It's lighthearted and plays like a gallery shooter at times, with a dueling mini-game ending most levels. This would make a good breather between long ass games.

This sounds like something I'd probably like, both story-wise and gameplay-wise.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This ends tomorrow night, right? The end of the 31st, not the beginning of the 31st?

Cause I got to the (awful and tedious) final boss of Spirit Tracks and penciled it in for tomorrow since I wanted to relax today and hang out with people.

This sounds like something I'd probably like, both story-wise and gameplay-wise.
Yeah end of 31st.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got my 1 complete for January, Control, and looking like Horizon Zero Dawn on Ps5 might be the game to beat for me in February. If it works out then Dying Light as well.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220131_024555.jpg

I hunkered down and finished Spirit Tracks. Easily the least-fun Zelda game I've ever played by far. You pretty much have to be a Zelda superfan to like this one. At least Link and Zelda finally reach 1st Base in this. Actually Zelda is easily the best thing about the game but she can't save it from the controls.

It did succeed in making me really want a Zelda game where Zelda is the main character (either this variation or the Skyward one, probably, since those two seem to be the most well-received).

20211204_224512.jpg

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Okay I went through this because I was bored on a call this morning... I think I got everyone even if you didn't put COMPLETED picture in your post.

Regime I know you said you weren't competing in your own contest but still included your count.

Count as of 8AM 1/31/2022

Yaph - 2
Crone - 2
Shmoopy - 1
Regime - 5
Fight - 1
KurganAU - 6
Janx - 1
Rajaah - 10
Seananigans - 2
Falstaff - 1
meStevo - 1

• 3Like

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
tothemoon.JPG

tothemoon_complete.JPG

Sneaking this one in before cutoff. Says it supports controller, but that's a lie, bearable with a mouse / kb. Can see why this was an indie darling a few years back. Not what I'd normally go for but worth a play through if you're remotely interested in this type of game. Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam.

CompletedCropped.png

• 2Like