Utnayan backlog challenge: part 2 ends Jan 31

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Rofl... the pictures in my head right now.

Jesus, help me.

hentai vs evil.jpg

Here it is.

Mother of God.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Busy for the next eight days between working and moving into a new place, but after that I'm taking some time off to rest up. Already planning what backlogged games to take on next.

• 1Solidarity

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Alright round discussion table time. Let's start talking about the future of this thread. Let's talk about what would help get more people involved.

I can tell you right now having the hardc0res win every month or challenge will kill this thread. Rajaah, I and a few others can knock out 30 games in a week if our OCD allows it.

Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule outside of money could we get some kind of badge award for each winner? we are thinking about doing this every month?

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Alright round discussion table time. Let's start talking about the future of this thread. Let's talk about what would help get more people involved.

I can tell you right now having the hardc0res win every month or challenge will kill this thread. Rajaah, I and a few others can knock out 30 games in a week if our OCD allows it.

Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule outside of money could we get some kind of badge award for each winner? we are thinking about doing this every month?

Yeah I'd like to see more participation too. Joining halfway through, I didn't think I had any chance of winning. Then I kicked it into overdrive and won, and the closest competition also joined late and still excelled. Very surprising that we were able to surge ahead but it was because there wasn't a ton of participation.

The reward for this was a solid one so I don't think the reward was an issue.

One thing that might be interesting in the future is if people "call their shot" and make a list of the things they're planning on finishing during a particular month-long contest. I made a list when I started that had 17 games on it and I got to most of them. I didn't get to FNAF5, Cuphead, RE1 and 2, because the first two are obnoxiously hard and for the RE's I simply ran out of time. Calling your shot might help people get more involved and give them a clearly-defined objective.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

has a fantastic guideline for average complete times. Maybe a weight system?

Beating Witcher 3 is far more impressive than beating yakuza. I think a very important thing with getting guys to clear backlogs games like Witcher 3 is recognize it’s daunting to finish. Casuals may not want to finish in this thread if they see people wrapping up 8 to 10 hour games and getting the same amount of credit.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

has a fantastic guideline for average complete times. Maybe a weight system?

Beating Witcher 3 is far more impressive than beating yakuza. I think a very important thing with guys and backlogs is games like Witcher three might just sit there because it’s daunting to finish and they may not want to finish in this thread if they see people wrapping up 8 to 10 hour games and getting the same amount of credit.

That's another good point, a weight system going off of that or howlongtobeat.com would make a lot of sense and would add incentive to get to longer games. I didn't even list RPGs like Xenoblade X and Monster Hunter once I realized they'd kill my chances of winning time-wise.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I mean Kingdom Come Deliverence did me in because it’s a Witcher 3 kinda game. No way I could pump those out at the same rate as others however we want those others to count.

The good thing is everyone that was posting here was doing it in good spirit but I would like to see others get involved too.

Dizzam

Blackwing Lair Raider
Loved the contest and had a lot of fun even though I came in second. I won’t be putting in nearly as much time in the future. This time I kind of stumbled into the perfect storm of work slowing down a little and my wife’s extra patience as part of my Christmas present (along with the new PS5). Also, I want to take time to enjoy the really good games rather than rush through mediocre ones. I put God of War on the back log and skipped to games like Ratchet and Clank during the contest because I was just trying to complete games. I think in some ways that defeats the point.

Ut should be praised for getting this going. I am wondering though, if a contest is the best way to motivate the most people to complete games. It seems like as soon as someone (or a couple someones) take a strong lead, the contest serves as very little motivation for the rest.

Just having a thread where people post as they complete games will serve as some motivation for me. Maybe for people who want more than that we could do something like this:

During the first week of each month people sign up to participate for that month. If you sign up, you have to (1) pledge $20 and (2) set a goal for which game or games you’ll complete that month (has to be at least one). If you hit your goal for the month, you keep your $20 and get credit for participating that month. If you miss your goal, you have to put $20 in the pot.

This repeats every month until Dec 1. Dec is the annual Ut backlog bash. Anyone who has participated in the self-challenge at least 6 months that year can participate. Whoever completes the most games in December wins however much is in the pot from the self challenges throughout the year. No previous winner can win again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hmm. Good points maybe do a raffle? People who post in the last 3 months get entered or something?

see that’s my point I “didn’t” have the time D Dizzam

if I did I think Rajaah Rajaah knows it would have been a competition.
I think mine will be a raffle let’s have others weigh in. People that post from the starting until end get put into a raffle? I dunno

I feel like letting Utnayan Utnayan be the arbiter is the way to go. I will step up and be the next gifter.
We just need to decide how to go about it. Like I will pony up the card but Utnayan Utnayan gets to do the random roll?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Yea, I mean for me all my backlog is Witcher 3, and long ass rpgs mostly lol. I like feing like anyone would give a shit though, gave me that extra oomph to finish some games. Never would have pushed through ff7 remake otherwise heh

yaph

Molten Core Raider
Yeah seeing the completes was probably the biggest motivator for me dusting off the backlog. I wouldn't mind seeing a weighted system based on the howlongtobeat.com times. I probably could have had a few more games done, but grossly underestimated how long Death Stranding was.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah seeing the completes was probably the biggest motivator for me dusting off the backlog. I wouldn't mind seeing a weighted system based on the howlongtobeat.com times. I probably could have had a few more games done, but grossly underestimated how long Death Stranding was.
OK we could do something like this.

for each complete of a AAA game like Witcher 3 you get 5 entries into a raffle etc?
Games with 1-10 hour get one entry? I’m an achievement whore so guys like me police the 30 min neogeo completes? Maybe Better yet down the road add something for us achievement guys too?

Also we are not going to keep up a $100 per month card. I’ll do $100 once this kicks off but after that we need to slim it down for others to contribute. I’d actually be happy with breaking that up for 2-3 winners to get more involved. Like ($25 Ps/Xbox/steam) card

I think That is a logical route for this thread. Also we need Utnayan Utnayan to quit crying about the vikes
And chip in here it’s his baby.

Lawyer Edit: to qualify for raffle you must post complete time in this thread with your PS/Steam/Xbox only Id. Also accounts on this forum must have been registered for at least a year with at least 10 separate posts to show they aren’t some bot. I dunno that doesn’t matter now but if this takes off it will matter.

Last edited:
  • 1Double Worf

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I started Control, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Heart of Stone W3 DLC, and Farcry 6 lately. Didn't get to finish any of them. :(

Trying to finish Farcry 6 tonight, but I don't think that it's going to happen.

yaph

Molten Core Raider
Could do a few categories on a 45-60 day basis. A and B would be a split prize pool and C maybe just forum flare.

A) Quantity
B) Ranked (Using HowLongToBeat and you get 1 point per hour it should take to complete, ie witcher 3 is worth 51 and halo infinite is 10)
C) Personal Challenge where a person posts their list and tries to finish it

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Could do a few categories on a 45-60 day basis. A and B would be a split prize pool and C maybe just forum flare.

A) Quantity
B) Ranked (Using HowLongToBeat and you get 1 point per hour it should take to complete, ie witcher 3 is worth 51 and halo infinite is 10)
C definitely is raffle and always a nice winner. No one will do this if quantity always wins. I like this idea of your 3. I vote yes

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This is a fantastic idea to keep it going - I’m going to be on vacation though for two weeks starting tomorrow so will be out of pocket until Jan 10th. :)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

A) Quantity

I vote yes on 3 and also yes on 2.

Key thing with 2 is to adhere to the HLTB site numbers. So if someone spends 200 hours on Witcher 3 they don't get 200 points, that's their problem if they wanted to live in the game that long. You get the average complete time in points, no deviation. I say this as someone who usually takes around 20% longer than the average, too.