V Rising

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Huge new patch which is basically a free expansion launches tomorrow.
Nice - I put in 80-90 hours into this game about a year ago and was just thinking about how I should start up a fresh game.

Caliane

Huge new patch which is basically a free expansion launches tomorrow.
oh neat. are you actively playing? any thoughts on the state of the game? how are they juggling pvp versus pve-coop balance?

Xevy

Log Wizard
oh neat. are you actively playing? any thoughts on the state of the game? how are they juggling pvp versus pve-coop balance?
I never even "beat" the original. I thought it was a pretty neat game. PVP was pretty much the same as most survival PVP. Either you outgear or outnumber them or vice versa. Rarely would you have an 'even' fight and they could be pretty decent, but skills were limited and it felt kind of rock paper scissors with the weapon types.

I haven't played since their original early access launch, but definitely wasn't a game I quit because it was bad. I think my guildmates disappeared for another game or I did and just never came back. The fact you have to play on a server is a bit shitty because you're often at the will of the server owner-overlord and a lot of them can be powerhungry WFH nerd-dicks. I'd honestly say that the PVE is worth it alone so I wouldn't say just having a private server to be on is necessarily a waste as I think the bulk of the game is good PVE.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Almost level 80 now, think it goes to ~100. Pretty fun, I play with like 5 other people and honestly I think this game shines as a duo. PVP is pointless outside epeen stuff as you don't drop equipped gear or anything, just whatever you had in your inventory. With 4+ people we blasted content super fast and MOST bosses were only reasonable as a duo/solo because the boss scaling is way off. Basically at one point we all just solo every boss ourselves and none of us are really playing together as much as sharing a base and resources SOMETIMES, but people are like 1-2 tiers ahead of shit and even if you have the crafting station you may not be able to use the recipe. That said level is based off gearscore so your higher ups can craft you gear to blast you through content, but they still need to do everything themselves.

Only done some of the new content as some of the high-mid bosses are in new area. Seems.. okay? Skill modifying jewel system is nice, but lackluster. I think for a duo team you could get a good 60+ hours doing this, and for solo probably even more. For a quadteam+ you could be done in 30-40 hours of play.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I forgot how much I liked this game. I bought the two DLC packs just to show support. The changes they've made that I've noticed are pretty good quality-of-life changes. Overall, having a lot of fun, even if I am playing by myself. I prob shouldn't have paid for a server but its whatever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Might start this again, it was kinda rough on old PC, but playable. I got bored before I did the last boss.

Got a hankering for a survival/base game again, now that the honeymoon is over with D4.

I had a server for this going for around 8$ I think, Valhost or something. Smaller host company, but my server ran well.

• 1Like

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Never played this and picked it up on the summer sale. Its kinda fun so far but had a question or two. I'm up to where I get my first servant. Since there are a limited number, can you kill them off for a higher lvl one later on? I wasn't sure how picky to be with my first one or what kind to look for. I was thinking worker but I'm only seeing like lvl 8's and such.

Caliane

you can dismiss them yes.
for servants yes job, and home zone matters. as well as quality. lots of towns for dunely, so worker there. 90%+
fish and scourgestone are annoying to get, so something you'll want servants gathering.

you'll want fish to feed captives. it heals them. with captives you can feed on the same npc repeatedly. they will die with just rats.. but the righty fish will heal them. so indefinitely.

One of the things I'd have liked to see would be a "decadent vamp" "savage vamp" mechanic. servants and captives would be a good place to handle it.
Savage vamp gets a fear aura. blood quality 75%-5% is increased 25%-500%. (so 75=91, 5=30). and decadant vamp, gets aura of awe. maybe +50 sun/garlic resist, and something else.

feeding captives rats=bad. poor living conditions= bad. But, giving them good food, and have actual prison rooms, with couches, beds, etc=good. killing and replacing servants=savage. feeding servants blood to upgrade them =decadent.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I do have one more question: Is there any possible way to level up gear without killing Maja? I am 48 I think and for me its just not possible I think. After like 200-300 tries I have got her to half health like twice. Yes I know HOW to do the fight..I'm just not twitch skilled enough I guess.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I do have one more question: Is there any possible way to level up gear without killing Maja? I am 48 I think and for me its just not possible I think. After like 200-300 tries I have got her to half health like twice. Yes I know HOW to do the fight..I'm just not twitch skilled enough I guess.
There are gear check points that block progression, that's one of them I believe. Hopefully you've beat them by now lol

• 1Like

Caliane

1.0 release May 8th.

last years may update secrets of gloomrot was huge, if you didn't check it out. it added new zones, enemies, new bosses, redid spells, added weapons, gear, etc.. multiple story castles.

this update is also going to be huge. new enemies, end game zone, new bosses, wardrobe, redoing spells again, new gear system.
end game events.

I don't play these games pvp. and have no friends, so not even co-op. but, I very much recommend this game, for anyone that likes the survival base builders at all. far and away one of the best, with best ideas, and innovation.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
1.0 release May 8th.

last years may update secrets of gloomrot was huge, if you didn't check it out. it added new zones, enemies, new bosses, redid spells, added weapons, gear, etc.. multiple story castles.

this update is also going to be huge. new enemies, end game zone, new bosses, wardrobe, redoing spells again, new gear system.
end game events.

I don't play these games pvp. and have no friends, so not even co-op. but, I very much recommend this game, for anyone that likes the survival base builders at all. far and away one of the best, with best ideas, and innovation.
Well there goes my summer.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm allergic to early-access games so I might finally be able to give this a try.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
1.0 release May 8th.

end game events.

I had a server setup with friends but mostly played solo, so I found it kind of grindy. What was your experience?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I had a server setup with friends but mostly played solo, so I found it kind of grindy. What was your experience?
You can tweak a lot of the settings via ini. i had a server up but increased the rates of everything to a fun level since my friends and I only get ~ a week out of it before moving to new game(s).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah that's what I saw mentionned in some reddit thread about the announcement, if you play solo/duo and don't want to grind too much you just speed up progression a fair bit, and reduce daylight time and it makes the game perfectly fine, the default is a bit too skewed toward multiplayer it seems. I'll probably pick this up after 1.0 at some point, looks fun enough.

Caliane

These kinds of games all have some level of grind. I didn't find it too bad in my last playthrough. not as bad as valhiems.

• 1Like