Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm pretty proud of my fort

Behold

FORT WHOOORES (read like Frank Reynolds)

1613747747345.png

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Molten Core Raider
That's pretty awesome. My stuff looks like something a four year old would build out of Lincoln Logs.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
What kind of limit are you talking about? we had up to three people inside them.
Sometimes it's just sync issues and waiting 2 minutes worked it out for us.
I mean 3 seems to be the limit?

We could not get 4 or 5 people in.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
That's pretty awesome. My stuff looks like something a four year old would build out of Lincoln Logs.

I guess you can see my progression tho.

#1 - First base took two tries. The original was a mess that I think I posted a few days ago
#2 - Solid attachment to #1. I've been in this one the longest.
#3 - Took about three teardowns to finally get it right.

1613749168677.png

I actually tore down 1 and 2 this morning.

• 3Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
BTW....3 milly

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
BTW....3 milly

These guys really did hit the jackpot, with timing, price point, and theme. I still think this game gong to fade away rather quickly. Hopefully they made their game easily modifiable, this is what keeps games like 7d2d, Terraria, and many other games going strong.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I definitely see us beating this one in the next week or so, and then never touching it again.

They may "finish" it at some point, but we'll have likely moved on.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I still don't understand the popularity of this.

I get that it launched relatively bug-free, has a great price, and runs on a potato. However, it really doesn't do anything different than other survival games already on the market - and in some cases does less. I'm just failing to understand why this game is so huge. It isn't like they reinvented the wheel or anything. Is it just the fact that there's a somewhat linear progression system and people like the slightly linear aspect? I seriously just don't understand the "hook".

I get that and I was skeptical as well. However, they have just enough of every aspect of a Survival / Building / RPG style game to make it interesting and they seem to do it better in their own right. I think the Viking skin breaks it away from the same Zombie, post-apocalyptic theme that all other survival game touts. Plus, most survival games have the typical knife and gun combat that adds to the fatigue due to other popular games such as Fortnite, etc. It's got enough good, enough of its own, and enough familiarity to just work. Plus, you get a little of that open world, adventure with an old-school flavor added to it. It's just refreshing, nothing new or groundbreaking but refreshing.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If we beat this and stop playing, I definitely hope to get another game going when the game leaves early access or has a buttload of new biomes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm just happy to see a game like this hit the jackpot. I want to see more, and with more development.

• 3Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I get that and I was skeptical as well. However, they have just enough of every aspect of a Survival / Building / RPG style game to make it interesting and they seem to do it better in their own right. I think the Viking skin breaks it away from the same Zombie, post-apocalyptic theme that all other survival game touts. Plus, most survival games have the typical knife and gun combat that adds to the fatigue due to other popular games such as Fortnite, etc. It's got enough good, enough of its own, and enough familiarity to just work. Plus, you get a little of that open world, adventure with an old-school flavor added to it. It's just refreshing, nothing new or groundbreaking but refreshing.

Oh, I've played it and definitely find it enjoyable. It's a very good game, especially for the price. It just didn't take me long to get "bored" of the mechanics, because I've played this same game 20+ times. It just never really offered a "hook" for me. That's why I was wondering what everybody thought it was that made the game blow up so quickly, because I just didn't get it.

I'm just happy to see a game like this hit the jackpot. I want to see more, and with more development.

It'll definitely be good for the genre, long-term, without a doubt. I'm excited to see what type of off-shoots we get out of its popularity.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I definitely see us beating this one in the next week or so, and then never touching it again.

They may "finish" it at some point, but we'll have likely moved on.

My friends and I have played basically every night for the past week and I assume we will finish up the plains tonight or tomorrow.

I know I will come back when Hearth and Home comes out, since I love base building. But we all definitely said we would come back for each Biome release.

Also discovered last night that trees act as foundation, so I think I am gonna try and build a treefort since Fir trees grow super tall.

This game has been worth every penny of the $20, if anyone reading this is still somehow on the fence.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This game has been worth every penny of the $20, if anyone reading this is still somehow on the fence.

I think this game might be a poster-child for how important pricing is in gaming. Perhaps just as much as gameplay even. How popular would this game be if it were priced at $40+?

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
My play group is 6, and I can easily say 2 of us would have bought it (myself and another guy love games like this), 3 of us would not have (they generally do not like base builders, but the combat/rpg elements/lack of anything else to play as a group got them in at $20) and one more in between that would lean towards buying at $40, but maybe not until the first content patch.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I went ahead and picked it up just to support them, but probably won’t actually play until they release some more updates.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This is what i feel like when i head out with my cart

1613765100543.png

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
home.jpg
map.jpg

My tiny lil home and map exploration so far after 20 hours. Got really lucky with my trader I think. Saw him as I ran to the Elder which I just killed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Logged on for the first time in 2 days and I'm pretty impressed with McFly's organization, lol.

I also discovered that there is apparently a build height limit? Pretty annoying