Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I go around the outside of copper to find the edges and then go down one or two layers at a time. It seems like a lot while you’re doing it, but I’ve got so much copper now that I don’t see the need to get any more. I have 2 chests of copper, 1 of tin and 1 of bronze. I can’t keep enough iron to save my life though. Everything needs sooo much iron. At least at this point at where we’re at. We have boat paths all over the place trying to find new swamps.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm still really early into this game, and trying to decide whether I like it or not. It sounds like when you get further into the game, it becomes a lot of fun. However, I'm still dying at a pretty steady clip, and am still just killing deer and boars and chopping wood to build a house. The game seems rather tedious, but maybe some of that goes away as you progress? Just flattening the ground to build a structure is a pretty big hassle. I want to get to the point where I'm killing bosses and sailing a ship. Gonna have to clamp down and really try to progress.

Also, some crazy shit happened tonight. It said "There is a smell of sulfur in the air" and all of a sudden everything was red and on fire and these fire skeletons started showing up throwing fireballs at me. I about shit my pants!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Mining into a dirt wall naturally puts dirt under your feet, if you are deep enough. You can start in a 30 foot deep hole, and move forward after every hit, into the wall, and eventually it will make a ramp out (as long as the pick has durability)

Tin is only that one little rock on the shore; copper nodes are huge, mostly burred boulders, that are deeper in the forest (the tooltip will say "copper" when you mouse over it). If you don't go straight down, you can build an earthen ramp, naturally, as you go (I tried to mine around the edges of the copper first)(note: undermining copper does not collapse it, and can make floating islands of copper, that are more difficult to access). Just make sure you can get up the ramp, every so often, as you dig, if not, mine a little incline into the dirt side of the hill.

I built my copper base fairly close to 3 copper nodes, and mined 100% of all of them. It produced stacks and stacks of copper (and took forever to mine). Since dirt only takes one hit, I also kept both a bronze pick and bone pick on my character, when mining, using the bone for earth, and bronze for ore.

Copper goes deep underground? Ive only been mining at the surface.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Copper goes deep underground? Ive only been mining at the surface.

Correct, before I started digging, that area in the screenshot looked like all the other copper nodes I found (just 10 to 20 percent showing above ground). The 2 other nodes were about the same size.

Burns

I'm still really early into this game, and trying to decide whether I like it or not. It sounds like when you get further into the game, it becomes a lot of fun. However, I'm still dying at a pretty steady clip, and am still just killing deer and boars and chopping wood to build a house. The game seems rather tedious, but maybe some of that goes away as you progress? Just flattening the ground to build a structure is a pretty big hassle. I want to get to the point where I'm killing bosses and sailing a ship. Gonna have to clamp down and really try to progress.

Also, some crazy shit happened tonight. It said "There is a smell of sulfur in the air" and all of a sudden everything was red and on fire and these fire skeletons started showing up throwing fireballs at me. I about shit my pants!

The game seems to be built with a group of 4 to 6 people in mind, all pooling together. Solo play is a HUGE amount of farming and travel time. Things just get more time intensive as you go, but the variety of things to collect and use also increases.

For example, you will need to farm more and more complex foods, to increase your health pool and add resists. This will lead to farming and brewing and you will constantly need those complex food buffs while in the field for everything past bronze tier (to beat the second boss and beyond).

To reduce the amount of land flattening I did, I built all my buildings on a half wall base, then put the floor down. First was with wood (with half posts in the middle for support), then replaced with stone when it became available.

screenshot_2021-03-01_010545.png

screenshot_2021-03-01_010648.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Correct, before I started digging, that area in the screenshot looked like all the other copper nodes I found (just 10 to 20 percent showing above ground). The 2 other nodes were about the same size.
Did not realize that, though it was only along the surface.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Think of copper like a giant egg shell. It’s thicker in some places but there’s a band that typically exists much wider than what you’re seeing on the surface.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Definitely bring a second pickaxe early on when you start excavating down to find more copper; just clearing away the dirt/rocks/etc in the way around nodes can murder your durability and you'll end up with less than if you just walked a few screens away and went after another surface node.

I've had trolls randomly roll up and murder my carts enough that I no longer even try to bring them; I just make beelines back and forth to base. The time to defend the cart and steer it through trees/bushes/etc makes it kind of moot for a single player(so far.)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I think the most embarrassing things that've happened to me in this game have been due to trolls and carts. Running back with a ton of copper or wood, troll shows up so I drop my cart and kite him to death, then spend over an hour trying to figure out where the fuck I left my cart. I've had a good chunk of a day of playing just being searching the Black Forest for the cart that I hastily tossed so i could fight a troll.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hey McFly McFly - saw that you finished the last boss. Give us a heads up if you're planning to shut down the server so I have enough time to gather up all of my seagull buttholes and move them to the private world.

• 1Like

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Welp - I'm in full-on addiction mode with this game. I stayed up till 4AM making my base immune to Troll attacks by cutting away a ton of mountain. I even ran around luring Trolls back to the base to observe their behavior and fix any shortcomings. Of course none of this has to to with actually anything since we can easily kill Trolls. But, hey, whatever.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Hey McFly McFly - saw that you finished the last boss. Give us a heads up if you're planning to shut down the server so I have enough time to gather up all of my seagull buttholes and move them to the private world.
Yeah double this. Don't want you to take it in the ass hosting.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
So you can tame wolves and have them act as pets following you around killing all those retarded wops that get angry when you bang on their rocks.

Daidraco

So you can tame wolves and have them act as pets following you around killing all those retarded wops that get angry when you bang on their rocks.
Yep. But you have to be careful around enemies that'll fuck your wolf up. I take mine out only when Im doing something low level just to take care of those "wops" hehe.

As far as the hauling copper etc. If you're going to legit play without command lining materials into the world or w/e - make a couple chests near a river point next to the black forest and run your copper / tin to that. Then build a small boat ramp that you can just walk into your boat with easily (w/o jumping). When your boat is parked under the ramp and your boat storage is full, max out your stamina with high stamina food then load everything onto your avatar (overburdened) and walk onto your boat. Then you can steer the boat back to wherever you want to take it all. When you arrive, you can throw it all towards the shore and pick it up and put it into your cart. Using a cart across large distances is aids in my opinion.

Not to shame those that want to use command line but when I played Skyrim, I used command lines into that and I feel like it ruined the game for me.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
The carts are very useful for mining. They have 16 slots and no weight limits.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I believe there is a weight to carts. They seem much more difficult to take up hill once full.
99% sure this is true. I went up the same hill multiple times both full and empty. Had to zig zag up the hill when the cart was full vs just running straight up with an empty cart.

rad

Lord of Guk
I believe there is a weight to carts. They seem much more difficult to take up hill once full.

There is a weight, but it impacts not how much it can hold, but how hard it is to move on an incline etc.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
There are some nice quality of life mods out there with V Plus opening up a lot of more game changing mechanics. One things that was a bit surprising to me was that item drop rate is a client side setting that can be tweaked. Craft from chest is also a client side mod which I thought was nice without tainting the experience.

Last edited:

Daidraco

I just want the new biomes, personally. Changing drop rates etc. just shortens an already short game play loop if you work smarter, not harder.