Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yall callin this early alpha like it hasn’t been out for 2.5 years on itch io prior to coffee stain publishing it

love it so far, hope they can streamline private servers so we don’t need to rely on one person hosting though

first time man fighting a troll and just parrying every hit is fucking great

Xevy

Log Wizard
Got the cultivator and immediately went stupid with it. Friend cleared a massive area over two hours and flattened it with a million rocks. I covered the whole thing in grass and trees after he logged :D

is upgrading equipment worth it? What exactly does it do? I'm on Bronze armor and sword now.
So a Rank 4 weapon will be better than a Rank 1 weapon of the next tier. Same with armor. However, it will be the same as a T2 of the next tier and may be way cheaper mat wise. The damage goes up as well as block power for shields. For everything else it's just durability so it's not bad for stuff like your pickaxe when you're out farming mass amounts of iron or silver. Not so important with axes as you can plant trees super easily near your base.

You parry by initiating a block during the enemies attack. If you time it right and you have enough block power to block the hit you'll counter it and auto stagger the mob. It's highly effective for bigger hp pool mobs.

Also the armor system is VERY straight forward. Each mob hits for 1 to 150(ish). If you have 50 AC then you just subtract that amount of damage from the hit. So trolls hit for something like 75 damage if you're at 75 armor they'll hit you for 0.3 damage (it doesn't do 0 hits). It's a very straightforward system and can really help you understand the value of upgrading your armor. Shit in the plains for instance hits for 100 base so if you go in with Troll Armor like we did at 30 AC or whatever, you'll get fucking trucked in 1-2 hits. Also some creatures have elemental damage (lightning, poison, frost, fire) and if you have resistance to that element it GREATLY reduces it. Wolves in the mountains and drakes do frost damage and if you have a frost resistance item equipped it makes their damage miniscule. Wolves go from one-shot monsters to 3-4 hits to kill you.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So basically don't upgrade armor at all, because the durability of armor is not really an issue, but unless you can advance to the next tier soon, upgrade your weapons as much as you can?

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yes and yes. I think we found T3 ore (Iron) wayyyyyy more difficult to procure than T4 (silver) so I wouldn't improve iron too much. Certain tools cap out at bronze/iron as well so you can just max them out as your armor and weapons climb tiers.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yes and yes. I think we found T3 ore (Iron) wayyyyyy more difficult to procure than T4 (silver) so I wouldn't improve iron too much. Certain tools cap out at bronze/iron as well so you can just max them out as your armor and weapons climb tiers.
This is funny to me. We have iron pouring out of our chests while silver has been a pain in the butt. Lol

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, same here. Silver is an absolute bitch to find. Assuming you find a decent sized swamp biome, you can find 3 or 4 crypts within a small walking distance. And each one can hold up to maybe 70 iron scrap.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
My wife and I got this after reading all you guys gush :). 6 hours in and I think we have everything maxed? Everything needs bone chips and we have only ever found 2 skels so... maybe we are supposed to fight the first boss at this point? We've just been exploring, building, and upgrading stuff the whole time. Starting to get multiple stacks of items like flint and resin with no apparent use for them currently. I'm guessing we are just playing super conservatively, which is typical for us.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
My wife and I got this after reading all you guys gush :). 6 hours in and I think we have everything maxed? Everything needs bone chips and we have only ever found 2 skels so... maybe we are supposed to fight the first boss at this point? We've just been exploring, building, and upgrading stuff the whole time. Starting to get multiple stacks of items like flint and resin with no apparent use for them currently. I'm guessing we are just playing super conservatively, which is typical for us.
resin is useful, you dont need to pile more than a stack or two though (it's easy to get). I haven't used flint since where you are so don't worry about that either.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why is this here. I really can't have another 2am game in my life right now.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
This is funny to me. We have iron pouring out of our chests while silver has been a pain in the butt. Lol
It's all dependent on world seed really. Our biome for instance started with meadows surrounded by black woods all over and a decent mountain chunk. We had to sail a FAR ways to get to swamps so getting iron for us was a fill the ship or bust endeavor. Also iron is still used in the T5 stuff so it's definitely not going to waste.

Once you have a wishbone and find a silver vein, mine the fuck out of it. We've gotten between 80 and 175 silver from ONE silver vein. They're massive and go deep into the mountain.

This is definitely one of those 2am (or 6am for degenerates like me) game. You get done with your task of gathering at like 3am and then you need to smelt til 4am then you craft some stuff and want to try it out til 5am then you realize you have to sort the loot you just got from trying out your weapons at 6am and then you just wanna quickly check your agriculture stuff before bed and FUCK the sun is up in real life.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's all dependent on world seed really. Our biome for instance started with meadows surrounded by black woods all over and a decent mountain chunk. We had to sail a FAR ways to get to swamps so getting iron for us was a fill the ship or bust endeavor. Also iron is still used in the T5 stuff so it's definitely not going to waste.

Once you have a wishbone and find a silver vein, mine the fuck out of it. We've gotten between 80 and 175 silver from ONE silver vein. They're massive and go deep into the mountain.

This is definitely one of those 2am (or 6am for degenerates like me) game. You get done with your task of gathering at like 3am and then you need to smelt til 4am then you craft some stuff and want to try it out til 5am then you realize you have to sort the loot you just got from trying out your weapons at 6am and then you just wanna quickly check your agriculture stuff before bed and FUCK the sun is up in real life.
Why didn't you just build a forward base to take care of the iron crafting in the swamp biomes instead of lugging it all the way back?

Xevy

Log Wizard
Because fuck the swamp first of all. Second of all the sailing across the sea and running the boat was much more efficient than running 19 scrap at a time across the perma wet swamp with Draugurs shooting at you and Oozes leap on you. It sounds like it was more complicated, but we'd just take a boat and portal pieces over. Drop it on top of the crypts (only oozes could get up there) go mine iron, dump it in boat, take portal, repair shit, come back, repeat. When storage was full we just sailed back and unloaded onto our wagon and had the smelters ready to go. The sailing was probably a 3-5 minute excursion each way, which is like manually running back and forth to the swamp twice.

We ended up with essnentially 3 FOBs. A main one next to the trophies and starting point. This housed all our portals and upgraded forges/workbenches/agriculture. Then we had one in a black forest biome early on for copper/tin smelting that also had smelters/forges. Then we made one in the plains on the border of a swamp/plains/black forest/water that had full forges, workbenches, smelters, kilns, and blast furnaces. That's where we did all the high end crafting for T5 stuff which required needles and fine wood etc etc from the Plains. We actually made the base IN the black forest so you get easier raids (trolls, skeletons) rather than Plains raids like goblins.

With 10 people we had to have a few bases or else all 8-10 people were in the same place lagging the fuck out of everything and interacting with the same shit at the same time. This way we usually had 3-4 at main base organizing/crafting 2-3 out gathering wood/food and 2-3 out gathering ore and 2ish out fighting goblins, deathsquitos, drakes, etc..

This is definitely a game for 4-5 people. 8+ people it becomes a laggy desync fest, especially in tight quarters. Also upgrading every tier of tool/weapon/armor for 10 people is much, much more daunting a task for a large group. I think it came to like 72 iron per piece of fully upgrade T5 armor. That's a lot of grey cheddar.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I built our forward base in the indestructible tree tops, you can also have a fire in the branches and it counted as outside allowing you to sleep as well. Was super easy and the base looks cool as shit. We were pulling hundreds of iron from crypt runs so it just made sense to have a base there.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is anyone running a dedicated 24/7 machine I could hop on? The game does suffer from the normal survival game aspect of being utterly boring on your own, and just hopping on random servers means they might be gone tomorrow and therefore also your Trump Tower is gone.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm glad I didn't have to go find this randomly.

1613026797908.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user