Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The biggest difference for me between Conan and Valheim was how I've played it.

For whatever reason, I played Conan with a couple of friends on random PvP servers...with all of the bullshit that entails.

But with Valheim, I've only played it was a PvE game, with friends on a casual basis.

This reminds me, you need a drunk tree chopper for more wood. I bet you might be running low right about now.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did you miss them rolling back the releases?

I saw this like a week ago. But we all knew this was coming, right? Their previous schedule was too ambitious to be believable

So not only are they not making any updates, the one they've got adds...onions and some furniture?

Who gives a shit about that kind of nonsense? At best, it takes you an extra 2 minutes to build all the furniture they add, on something they spent months making.

Talk about misguided wastes of time.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
So not only are they not making any updates, the one they've got adds...onions and some furniture?

Who gives a shit about that kind of nonsense? At best, it takes you an extra 2 minutes to build all the furniture they add, on something they spent months making.

Yeah I agree. I enjoyed Valheim since it was my first dive into the survival type games. Oh well I’m really enjoying Terraria so much I can’t stop playing it and haven’t even touched Valheim since.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

D0nt forget the dark roof tiles, hehe.

But yeah I agree. what a waste of a game. They made something special, thats for sure. They sold like 5-6 million units? All for waste because none of those 5-6 million will be around or even remember this game in 2028 when this shit will be done at this breakneck pace.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
D0nt forget the dark roof tiles, hehe.

But yeah I agree. what a waste of a game. They made something special, thats for sure. They sold like 5-6 million units? All for waste because none of those 5-6 million will be around or even remember this game in 2028 when this shit will be done at this breakneck pace.
Honestly? I can't really blame them. It sounds like they made a small, little passion project that just so happened to give them millions. I'd 100% tap out and ride off into the sunset. Plus, they'll probably be able to milk another year or so of sales with updates like "onions!", off nothing more than pure hopium.

• 2Like
  • 2Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
To be fair, that update was the next one scheduled anyways. So it's not like they're trying anything shady.

I already put this aside as a "try again occasionally but don't expect a miracle" type of game.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

I've gotten more than my money's worth. These devs owe me nothing.

Cdpr however...

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah I agree. I enjoyed Valheim since it was my first dive into the survival type games. Oh well I’m really enjoying Terraria so much I can’t stop playing it and haven’t even touched Valheim since.
Good choice.

Terraria is as near perfect a game as you can get, and essentially created its own genre, much copied but never duplicated.

And that is just vanilla - there is an additional world of mods as well I have never even touched.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
The biggest difference for me between Conan and Valheim was how I've played it.

For whatever reason, I played Conan with a couple of friends on random PvP servers...with all of the bullshit that entails.

But with Valheim, I've only played it was a PvE game, with friends on a casual basis.
I could not even fathom playing Conan on a PvP server. It would just be Rust without the machine guns.

I will say I DID enjoy Rust for a good while. But the off line raiding really kicks you in the nuts and after a while you hate humans too much to ever play again. At least in Conan you have Thrall guards.

As an aside, I am pretty sure I have yelled FUCK YOUR MOTHER at people in Rust more than in the rest of my entire life combined x 1,000.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Rust is awesome. I played the hell out of that game, but yeah, while offline raiding other’s bases is the best, getting your own base raided is the worst, lol.

• 1Solidarity

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Rust is awesome. I played the hell out of that game, but yeah, while offline raiding other’s bases is the best, getting your own base raided is the worst, lol.
The most hilarious thing about Rust is that you can find the most backwards, unpopulated server in the world, build a base, advance through the technologies, and someone will still seek you out and raid you. One active base on a server and some dickface will spend the time to search the entire world just to raid you.

I had that happen SEVERAL times while practicing building. It is uncanny.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I picked up Conan with some friends after we stopped playing Valheim. I love the game and it is a huge, huge improvement over Valheim in many ways. Except building. Building in Valheim is way easier, more intuitive, and gratifying. And my god the grind to build anything large scale is catass EQ levels of stupid. And the simple QoL stuff like getting mats back when you destroy a building piece so you don't have to worry about fuckups. Combine Conan with Valheim building and build a quest/progression system, you got a stew going baby.

FYI pretty sure there is a mod that allows you to get mats back when you destroy a building piece.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The expectations put on these devs just because their shit blew up and they made a bunch of money is kind of funny. Just because they have bucks now doesn't mean they have the skills to quickly add whatever the fuck it is people want. These guys are indie for a reason. They're not rockstars. Having a bunch of money all of the sudden also doesn't imbue them with business acumen, they probably shouldn't just hire on a bunch of people, get a new office space, etc.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The expectations put on these devs just because their shit blew up and they made a bunch of money is kind of funny. Just because they have bucks now doesn't mean they have the skills to quickly add whatever the fuck it is people want. These guys are indie for a reason. They're not rockstars. Having a bunch of money all of the sudden also doesn't imbue them with business acumen, they probably shouldn't just hire on a bunch of people, get a new office space, etc.
Wha? They sold 8 million copies, which including steam 30% is something like $165 million cash money. No one is saying they should become the next EA or Blizzard. But hiring on 100% more devs making it 10 people instead of 5 is not some wild expectations, lol. And if they have to, they can hire a fucking manager which does have some business acumen.

I could give a shit either way. I already played it, built shit, beat the game up until the point they had it. Probably never going back at this rate. Im talking more for their sake. Taking more than 1/2 the year to add in some onions and dark roof pieces plus a few more recipes does not bode well for them or the game. To add one more point, people pre-purchased this unfinished game with a promise from them sometime in the near future to have a finished game.

They dont need to hire tons more people, how bout start with a few.

And even if they do fuck off into the sunset with the cash I could even get behind that, and respect it more, lol.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Good choice.

Terraria is as near perfect a game as you can get, and essentially created its own genre, much copied but never duplicated.

And that is just vanilla - there is an additional world of mods as well I have never even touched.
This is a perfect example of don’t judge a book by it’s cover. The game initially turned me off due to its sprite based graphics. The game play, the depth and difficulty is top notch plus the mods out there is like a new game from what I been told. This game is up there in my top 5 favorite games of all time.

Also I didn’t realize how old the game actually is, like 10 years? I’m really shocked they didn’t make a sequel since how successful and popular the game is.

• 1Solidarity

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
This is a perfect example of don’t judge a book by it’s cover. The game initially turned me off due to its sprite based graphics. The game play, the depth and difficulty is top notch plus the mods out there is like a new game from what I been told. This game is up there in my top 5 favorite games of all time.

Also I didn’t realize how old the game actually is, like 10 years? I’m really shocked they didn’t make a sequel since how successful and popular the game is.

Terraria is perfect. My little brother bought it for me so I would play with him and I was like "meh whatever" so we play together and it was so much fun. He has been playing since 1.0 and we started together at 1.3. Came back for both 1.3.5 and 1.4. We have beaten it in Normal, Expert and Master Modes. As soon as tmodloader catches up to current day Terraria we will be on a heavy modded server (I plan on putting in Calamity, Thorium, and Spirit plus other QoL mods). This is the only Steam game where I have every achievement.

Originally there was a Terraria sequel in the works called Terria Otherworld which was canceled as the developer didn't feel it was different enough from the original. A lot of the assets that went into 1.4 came from the canceled Otherworld project. Terraria 2 is in development but there are no details as of yet.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

Yeah, I've owned it from the beginning.

To the developers' credit, they actually worked through an Early Access and FINISHED the game, with massive free updates. It was impressive and rarely seen anymore.

I sound like a shill.

I think perhaps now that it is "done" they may think HARDER about a sequel, but like commented with Valheim, if I had made my millions perhaps I would relax on my tropical island instead of diving into a sequel production.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Terraria is perfect. My little brother bought it for me so I would play with him and I was like "meh whatever" so we play together and it was so much fun. He has been playing since 1.0 and we started together at 1.3. Came back for both 1.3.5 and 1.4. We have beaten it in Normal, Expert and Master Modes. As soon as tmodloader catches up to current day Terraria we will be on a heavy modded server (I plan on putting in Calamity, Thorium, and Spirit plus other QoL mods). This is the only Steam game where I have every achievement.

Originally there was a Terraria sequel in the works called Terria Otherworld which was canceled as the developer didn't feel it was different enough from the original. A lot of the assets that went into 1.4 came from the canceled Otherworld project. Terraria 2 is in development but there are no details as of yet.
I could be very wrong, but I think the steam workshop integration resolved the tmodloader conflicts? I played it for a couple weeks shortly before the steam workshop patch and that was my takeaway but that was months ago and I barely paid attention.