Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Lenas

Trump's Staff
But hiring on 100% more devs making it 10 people instead of 5 is not some wild expectations, lol. And if they have to, they can hire a fucking manager which does have some business acumen.

Ten devs would literally be a 500% increase. Hiring a manager also isn't going to solve anything. Going through the process of all that shit would create so much overhead for the original two devs (current sole employees) that updates would be pushed even further back. You know how hard it is to onboard a single employee at the office? How about interviewing, hiring, onboarding an entire studio because you had a windfall of cash and now you need to explain your passion project to ten or more people you might not trust as far as you can throw?

Or you avoid all that headache, push back your self-imposed deadlines, and laugh with all your millions while some nerds make angry posts online about how slow you are.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Goonsquad Officer
Reminds me of dwarf fortress guys. They wouldn't take programming help even when it was handed to them complete. I think they finally gave in, but shit. Just contract out individual parts

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Screenshot_20210623-083649_Steam.jpg

This is what you bought

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If I had $100M dropped on my company you'd better fucking believe I'd be retiring the next day. We're lucky they're even pretending to keep working.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I could be very wrong, but I think the steam workshop integration resolved the tmodloader conflicts? I played it for a couple weeks shortly before the steam workshop patch and that was my takeaway but that was months ago and I barely paid attention.
I installed tmoloader and my characters weren’t compatible with the latest version of Terraria. I’m guessing Tmoloader hasn’t been updated yet. I really don’t to start all over.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If I had $100M dropped on my company you'd better fucking believe I'd be retiring the next day. We're lucky they're even pretending to keep working.
This. Like I said, I'd probably milk a few "Onions!" updates to squeeze out a few more sales on hopium, while I worked on my retirement portfolio.

• 1Worf

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If there's still people defending Pantheon after 8 years, then I think we can give these guys another year or two, LOL

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'd Notch the fuck outta there asap
I get too emotionally invested in projects like this, so I’d probably give it a good go and reinvest a percentage of the revenue back into hiring. But if someone offered to buy me out and continue the work, THEN I’d Notch the fuck out.

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Note- there was a small patch yesterday, part of which enables the building of Maypoles for a short while, so if you want one (or several) you can now build them. Picking up a thistle seems to be the trigger for the recipe, whether from the ground or storage. Having one in your inventory already and either sleeping or equipping your hammer apparently does it too. Under furniture- 10 wood, 4 dandelions, 4 thistles, and your workbench.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I get too emotionally invested in projects like this, so I’d probably give it a good go and reinvest a percentage of the revenue back into hiring. But if someone offered to buy me out and continue the work, THEN I’d Notch the fuck out.
Sunken cost fallacy. Get your fucking money and bail to the mountains at THOT mansion.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So if I couldn't stand Conan the two times I tried it (refunded), would I dislike this too? Reading the thread and watching a stream of it for an hour it looks cool.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So if I couldn't stand Conan the two times I tried it (refunded), would I dislike this too? Reading the thread and watching a stream of it for an hour it looks cool.

There are some fundamental gameplay loops that diverge from the survival formula that makes all the difference in the world. The biggest one to me - you can't starve. Food is additive, it benefits you to eat but if you have already gathered your resources you don't need to eat while you're chilling in your base building, etc and your health/energy just drops to a base level.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
What couldn't you stand about Conan?

This game has a lot of potential. And a lot of character. That said...most people here could (would...many did) burn through it super quickly.

There's a lot of things I'd like to see them do. Like...add a really big loot table of non-craftable, unique (think EQ clicky) items that only drop off of one of the boss mobs, so you might actually have a reason to kill them more than once or twice.

Or if they added side-bosses that don't 'gate' content like the current ones do, to add more variety. Like fun rare spawns to hunt down.

I mean, I dunno. The game is still a good game, especially for Early Access. And I definitely got my money's worth. I like to cycle back to it occasionally to build/harvest a little bit, before heading off to play other things.

It really depends on you. A lot of people found it shallow, many thought it was too easy, etc.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I randomly started making a round tower last week. Had to put iron beams in the stone after the stone became unstable.

I might end up tearing the entire thing down. I didn't put the beams up AS I was building it, and I rushed putting up the stone (and I was also making the stone wall double thick as well...because reasons?). So I had to spend some time actually going back to put the beams 'in' the stone

So I logged on a little bit tonight to throw some beams up and to figure out how I was going to make a roof. Then I realize that I didn't build this fucking thing plumb at all. I ran outside, looked at the wall...and yup, it bulges out.

I also tried alternating stones, like actual stonework, but the entire thing went (literally) pear-shaped LOL. I was hoping that they'd meet at a point, but...shit.

1625542568825.png

• 1Like

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
I randomly started making a round tower last week. Had to put iron beams in the stone after the stone became unstable.

I might end up tearing the entire thing down. I didn't put the beams up AS I was building it, and I rushed putting up the stone (and I was also making the stone wall double thick as well...because reasons?). So I had to spend some time actually going back to put the beams 'in' the stone

So I logged on a little bit tonight to throw some beams up and to figure out how I was going to make a roof. Then I realize that I didn't build this fucking thing plumb at all. I ran outside, looked at the wall...and yup, it bulges out.

I also tried alternating stones, like actual stonework, but the entire thing went (literally) pear-shaped LOL. I was hoping that they'd meet at a point, but...shit.

View attachment 361246
Heh, been there, done that, as you may have seen from my harbor towers. It can help if you build a wooden framework first then use that as a guide to laying your stone since that will help keep things aligned.
Experiment shows that embedding iron gates into your walls as reinforcements provides the most strength for vertical stuff by a small but measurable margin. I have them in the walls of my harbor towers.

• 1Like