Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
baffling design choice. same as mistlands.

cool new biome! but actually building/spending any time there is just a pain in the ass.
They should make a Morrowind biome that's full of pterodactyl bird things that just attack the top of your head 24/7.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I mean, it's kinda interesting honestly.

Forces you to build with Stone, at least on the outer shell.

And probably forgo huge panoramic windows if you do decide to decorate the inside with flammable stuff.

I mean Terraria has lava that you have to use obsidian to build in. I remember making an underworld castle with lava pouring over it, looked sweet.

Having different environments require different design choices is fine.

Now if they include some bull shit raid with fire drakes or something that breathe fire and burn everything down in in your sweet black forest castle... well they can go fuck themselves in the eye with a screwdriver.

I still enjoy the game despite its shortcomings. But I also put it down for a long time and only recently started playing it again.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Presumably it would be a nightmare to get enough wood to the Ashlands to build in the first place and they'll have some new fireproof stone in abundance. The MO is generally to build a base in each biome from local materials.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
"...and in the rest of the world!" makes me wonder if there's an event for that which has fiery rain.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
baffling design choice. same as mistlands.

cool new biome! but actually building/spending any time there is just a pain in the ass.

Precisely. If you actually were able to keep the team together long enough to make it to Mistlands, you found out it was an insanely annoying experience. What is it with devs confusing tedium with engaging challenges? Sure you have to have some grind and some frustration but so many games are overtuned for it.

These guys should be hiring people to speed up progress and also to help figure out how to enrich the game's depth. Such a creative idea for a game, great initial execution, so much promise, and then they grunted out these last two wet farts that were Mistlands and the Trial of Tyr.

• 1Like

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Presumably it would be a nightmare to get enough wood to the Ashlands to build in the first place and they'll have some new fireproof stone in abundance. The MO is generally to build a base in each biome from local materials.
How would getting wood there be difficult? Just use portals to bring as much as you need from your home storage or grey-dwarf farm/blood magic autotrainer.
As to stone- you're only going to be able to get to Ashlands initially by boat, so just bring 2 iron with you for a stonecutter and go to town. More sensibly you bring all the iron, copper, tin and bronze you need for your desired base facilities, and if you're feeling paranoid about your portal catching fire then bring a load of black marble with you too to construct your starter base till you figure out what's what.

Regardless of anything else, even at original release it was the best 20 bucks you can spend on a game if you have any interest at all.

Last edited:

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Without knowing anything more, RIP starting meadow bases.
If I had to guess the danger to meadow bases would be from raids bringing the Ashlands atmosphere with it, in the same way that A Cold Wind Blows From The Mountains drops the temperature to freezing.
My thought on the fire is that its not being in the Ashlands thats causing it, per se, the extra heat from fire sources while being in the ashlands. In that first video the whole house didnt simultaneously burst into flames- it very much spread from the campfire out front.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
How would getting wood there be difficult? Just use portals to bring as much as you need from your home storage or grey-dwarf farm/blood magic autotrainer.
As to stone- you're only going to be able to get to Ashlands initially by boat, so just bring 2 iron with you for a stonecutter and go to town. More sensibly you bring all the iron, copper, tin and bronze you need for your desired base facilities, and if you're feeling paranoid about your portal catching fire then bring a load of black marble with you too to construct your starter base till you figure out what's what.

Regardless of anything else, even at original release it wasl the best 20 bucks you can spend on a game if you have any interest at all.

Duh. Sorry, it's been a while. Somehow I thought there were portal restrictions on everything, but of course not.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I have to agree that, despite inexcusably slow progress on it that past couple of years, this is one of the best values on Steam.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Ashlands is available on Public Test branch.

• 1Mother of God