Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

So I thought I'd ask if anyone else is playing this? I picked it up yesterday and liked it so much I rented a private server for my friends and I to play on. I'd never even heard of it until it released into Early Access yesterday. It's priced great at $20 and so far it's been a lot of fun figuring things out. One thing I really like about it also is you can play across multiple servers if you want and you keep all skills gained and items on your person. There's just a lot of little things that make the game fun and enjoyable.

Anwyay, thought I'd post about it and see if anyone else is playing and if so, as they come across helpful things they can post it up here.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme

So I thought I'd ask if anyone else is playing this? I picked it up yesterday and liked it so much I rented a private server for my friends and I to play on. I'd never even heard of it until it released into Early Access yesterday. It's priced great at $20 and so far it's been a lot of fun figuring things out. One thing I really like about it also is you can play across multiple servers if you want and you keep all skills gained and items on your person. There's just a lot of little things that make the game fun and enjoyable.

Anwyay, thought I'd post about it and see if anyone else is playing and if so, as they come across helpful things they can post it up here.
You have my attention!!!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It looks really cool but I'm buried in Eco right now. I watched undead baron play a bit. Looks like it actually has challenging fights which would be a first for the survival genre.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It looks really cool but I'm buried in Eco right now. I watched undead baron play a bit. Looks like it actually has challenging fights which would be a first for the survival genre.
That's one f the things I like about it, is there a low of RP aspects to it. There's dungeon delves where you will see greydwarfs and skeletons fighting and you can just watch them kill each other and then kill the survivors and then raid whatever tomb they were guarding. There are places where you need mats to summon bosses to get special abilities, so far we've done one. It was a giant deer that shot lightning from its antlers in a frontal cone and then did an AE blast as well and was like 2 stories tall. Pretty great.

Each biome has new challenges and monsters and honestly, the moment you think you are set up good, some crazy things can happen, like I just had a like a 20-30 troll walk down the river and start beating on our walls. That...was fun when you're solo and the guy who makes our bronze gear hasn't got around to making me a sword yet and wasn't online. lol

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I saw that deer! Scary scary

I noticed that it was super dark too, and I like that. I'm def gonna get it when I get free from eco.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's pretty fun but needs some work.

Grinding for bronze stuff is awful. You just need so many damn resources for it. I imagine iron is going to suck even worse.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's pretty fun but needs some work.

Grinding for bronze stuff is awful. You just need so many damn resources for it. I imagine iron is going to suck even worse.
I'm playing with 3 other people and because of that we've had zero issues with resources.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Watched Xevy Xevy play this for a bit last night while I made the noob mistake of building my first home next to a formation of stones that spawned the first boss. Oops.

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
We just got a fermenter down, you can make ale that acts as a healing potion. Once we finish off Bronze stuff we will move into a new Biome and build a new forward base. Probably wait until we get a teleporter up.

• 2Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Pretty fun. I could see people blowing through the content currently in like a day or two from what I've gathered. Definitely Rust + Terraria with Viking flavor. When you see a Troll for the first time it's pretty fucking awesome.

Also the animations and kinda cartoonish style can be enjoyable until the "WHY MY GRAFFIX NOT MAX? I SAW PIXEL EDGES!!!!!!!!" ruin everything.

Edit: had a clip of my crew all punch dancing to Less than Jake Ska style with the out-of-stamina jump, but Twitch won't let me post it :)

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Pretty fun. I could see people blowing through the content currently in like a day or two from what I've gathered. Definitely Rust + Terraria with Viking flavor. When you see a Troll for the first time it's pretty fucking awesome.

Also the animations and kinda cartoonish style can be enjoyable until the "WHY MY GRAFFIX NOT MAX? I SAW PIXEL EDGES!!!!!!!!" ruin everything.

Edit: had a clip of my crew all punch dancing to Less than Jake Ska style with the out-of-stamina jump, but Twitch won't let me post it :)

There's no way you're blowing through everything in a day or two, even with a full group of 10 it would take longer than that to work through the biomes, farm up the top metals, equip yourselves and take on the top bosses.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Portal networks being built, still havin a good time.

1612487022218.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
whats the terraria aspects?

watching a streamer play this atm, and man, it just looks like every other survival base builder so far.

same weapons, tools, torches.. etc. I don't get why these devs never heard of saws or candles or lanterns or oil lamp. torches like they aren't in video games, werent really a thing.. nobody walked around with an open flame oil soaked rag, blinding themselves with a stupid short burn time.
same building systems. no yerts, no sod, no wattle, no dug out homes, etc..

animalfat+clay dish=oil lamp. is that so hard? why do they keep doing torches over and over in games?

Also the axe swinging animation is ridiculous. The weird calf action. 1handed forward lunge. I don't think the animator has ever swung an axe before.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 4 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Just down another boss, took almost 20 min of a 50ft treant shooting tentacles a football field in length while summoning dozens and dozens of adds, including trolls. was insane.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
whats the terraria aspects?

watching a streamer play this atm, and man, it just looks like every other survival base builder so far.

same weapons, tools, torches.. etc. I don't get why these devs never heard of saws or candles or lanterns or oil lamp. torches like they aren't in video games, werent really a thing.. nobody walked around with an open flame oil soaked rag, blinding themselves with a stupid short burn time.
same building systems. no yerts, no sod, no wattle, no dug out homes, etc..

animalfat+clay dish=oil lamp. is that so hard? why do they keep doing torches over and over in games?

Also the axe swinging animation is ridiculous. The weird calf action. 1handed forward lunge. I don't think the animator has ever swung an axe before.
There are stuff like lanterns and shit later on, but most people aren't there yet.

It's Terraria like that essentially your content gated by the bosses. T1 boss lets you mine stone/ore, T2 boss lets you (???) we did it and got a key to a swamp area, and so forth. Terraria was the same. Kill a boss, unlock a new way to progress. Also there's a Trophy system, not exactly sure how it works, but it does something, probably!

• 2Like

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
so, just bosses? not the deep itemization of terraria? And a linear gating? or unlocking stuff in old biomes too, like Terraria?

Xevy

Log Wizard
so, just bosses? not the deep itemization of terraria? And a linear gating? or unlocking stuff in old biomes too, like Terraria?
So far just the linear bossing stuff that we noticed, but we're only at Tier 2/5(?) so not sure. Probably hit Tier 3 tonight at least. Terraria has more shit but it's also like 10 years old and this game is a 3 day old Alpha.

Surprisingly polished for what it is. Not yet been stuck. Haven't lost any items. No "this doesn't work" bugs yet. The building could definitely get some QoL but works pretty well, but after Fortnite and shit I imagine there's a lot of tips to glean. The graphics go from literally Everquest 1999 era Crushbone textures to New World landscapes all at the same settings. Shit from afar looks beautiful and up close you can count the pixels on my tunic. I'm 100% fine with that because I've played enough games to know that textures, especially with rendered structures, bog you and the server down HEAVILY. Last Oasis was fucking awful zoning into a Zerg Base area. FPS goes from 100+ to about 30 and stays there. With a minor memory leak and in our big base full of shit my FPS got down to 45, but most of the time it's 90+ at most high settings.

Again my team is only at tier 2 and I THINK there's about to be a big power creep as you're basically mimicking the evolution of man. Stone age---Bronze age---Iron Age and we're about to go from Bronze to Iron. A lot of the cool stuff is we don't look stuff up so there's weapon types not shown on our skill level window until you make/find them. So I didn't even know 2hand swords existed until we made one or got the recipe then suddenly I was 0/X on my skill tree. Hopefully there's a lot more of that coming up.

Pretty fun game, the next part seems like it COULD be very tedious. We have to migrate to a cold area and we don't currently have warm clothes so we think we have to rush there with anti-freeze drinks, rush build a base, rush build a portal for the base and then start from there. I mean it's kinda accurate for the colonization feel, but can be a bit tedious. Our last base move we basically had 3-4 of us building around a portal while 3 people just kept mobs off us and 3 people got wood ASAP to feed us builders.

Pretty cool game. Not sure I seem them adding true PVP for a long time, if ever, with how their bases are at the moment. Maybe when we get stonecraft that will change, but right now two people with a tier 2 axe can take out a whole building in probably two minutes time due to structural integrity weakpoints. Also no locking mechanisms. There's some desync at time depending on your server host, especially when everyone is together in combat like with bosses and mobs can warp quite a bit so I imagine it'd be then same for PVP.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users