Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Snipin'
1614836939821.png

forward mining base w/ Heriotze Heriotze
1614837986243.png

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got lucky on server with some friends. The swamp directly north of the starter island was decent size, then we went exploring to check for dungeons(to get iron). Place had so many dungeons. We've already cleared about 6 of them(and we can see 2-3 more in range of others) with more swamp still under fog of war. Was nice to upgrade armor/weapons just from 1 island. Longship took back one full load of iron that got 2 of us from bronze to fully upgraded iron armor/weapons/tools and a bunch of reinforced chest in a single night.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've caught myself on fucking fire from campfires about a million times now, and it's just kind of annoying.

tbh it's just the graphical effect that is way over the top. If you run through a campfire, you're not gonna go full Thích Quảng Đức from that.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
oh btw, the Brazier is actually a fire source and not a light source, even though it's listed as furniture rather than misc like all the other fire sources (hearth, campfire).
It will therefore give you resting/rested and allow you to sleep, but it generates smoke. But since you hang it from the ceiling you're not dependant on bare floor or stone plates.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I finally got the vendor gear that brings your carrying capacity to 450. Pretty pretty pretty nice.

• 2Like

Workerbee

Molten Core Raider
I accidentally duped a Harpoon yesterday.

Not sure how it happened, but it changed my Cultivator into a Harpoon with some shenanigans when i was hanging it on the item holder outside my turnip field.

Then I had trouble locating some bronze to make a new cultivator. Price of the Iron age :(

I have a theory I'm going to test out tonight.

Also, was sailing around the map yesterday and hit a fog field that didn't clear for 2 days straight. Man, that was fun on a Longship by myself.

• 1Like

Ryoz

<Donor>
I accidentally duped a Harpoon yesterday.

Not sure how it happened, but it changed my Cultivator into a Harpoon with some shenanigans when i was hanging it on the item holder outside my turnip field.

Then I had trouble locating some bronze to make a new cultivator. Price of the Iron age :(

I have a theory I'm going to test out tonight.

Also, was sailing around the map yesterday and hit a fog field that didn't clear for 2 days straight. Man, that was fun on a Longship by myself.
Bronze is annoying. Just take a longship out and farm a bunch and be done with it.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Bronze is where I really started having fun with something other than learning the building or taking boat rides. Not sure what everyone thinks was so annoying about bronze.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Bronze was tedious but it felt like there was some logic behind collecting the components for it and it forced me to have to figure out sailing in order to branch out for the tin. Iron has been a brick wall for fun so far until I got enough of it to make enough gear to make getting more kind of trivial. The gamble of finding a few crypts clustered together and then hoping that at least a few of them weren't just one room due to crappy RNG has really been deflating. Maybe the tiny crypts are a rarity and we just had really bad luck but we got 4 single rooms out of about 10 crypts so far

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thing about bronze: You'll relocate after bronze at some point. Maybe even twice. But your new base requires a fuckload of it or the previous stuff (cauldron, forge, sconces, forge upgrades, workshop upgrades). That stuff adds up and if you forget to bring even one piece, you can't teleport it.

The initial bronze collection for your stuff I don't mind, not even doing it again and again on new playthroughs, but when relocating from mountains to plains and finding out you forgot 10 tin for a cauldron? That blows.

Bronze was tedious but it felt like there was some logic behind collecting the components for it and it forced me to have to figure out sailing in order to branch out for the tin. Iron has been a brick wall for fun so far until I got enough of it to make enough gear to make getting more kind of trivial. The gamble of finding a few crypts clustered together and then hoping that at least a few of them weren't just one room due to crappy RNG has really been deflating. Maybe the tiny crypts are a rarity and we just had really bad luck but we got 4 single rooms out of about 10 crypts so far

I found a crypt that was literally 0 iron, two caved in entrance doorways and one doorway leading to a single room dead end with nothing in it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I get how they try to make certain things similar to reality, but ya.. Bronze was over the top expensive and time consuming to make. Once you hit Iron, even though it seems like every recipe calls for 20-30, it still requires less time than Bronze did. Hauling copper, which is heavy af, out to your base at a 2 for 1 cost, and then the time to search for tin in every nook and cranny and often being leagues away from where you started and hauling that back in small loads. When I hit Iron, I found Crypts all over the place and could basically kill everything in them through peep holes in the iron scrap piles.

Last night I had ran into the Mistlands and explored it a bit. Totally forgot about the image below. Im curious if it's going to be a Spider boss or something.

a546c49f775da028cc0fc5cd1349565b81e14c8c.jpg

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

One room cave in? I don't remember seeing any crypts with just 1 room. There was no sludge in the way that you could use the pick on?

I also found tin was plentiful on the shores of the dark forests of my starting island, and didn't spend close the amount of time on it as I did on copper.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I get how they try to make certain things similar to reality, but ya.. Bronze was over the top expensive and time consuming to make. Once you hit Iron, even though it seems like every recipe calls for 20-30, it still requires less time than Bronze did. Hauling copper, which is heavy af, out to your base at a 2 for 1 cost, and then the time to search for tin in every nook and cranny and often being leagues away from where you started and hauling that back in small loads. When I hit Iron, I found Crypts all over the place and could basically kill everything in them through peep holes in the iron scrap piles.

Last night I had ran into the Mistlands and explored it a bit. Totally forgot about the image below. Im curious if it's going to be a Spider boss or something.

a546c49f775da028cc0fc5cd1349565b81e14c8c.jpg

PCGamer got these updates fleshed out a bit - Valheim developer reveals new roadmap details, says mini-bosses may be added

Update 1: Hearth and Home​

The first update is called Hearth and Home, which "as the name suggests will focus on the house building aspect of the game, with more building pieces and stuff to do in and around the house," Törnqvist said.​
"It will probably be pretty focused on the food preparation aspect of the game with more recipes and stuff like that," he continued. "But there are also new additional building pieces."​
With all the amazing Viking homes being constructed, that's sure to be good news for Valheim's fort-builders. Personally, my house sucks and I'm more interested in having new recipes to cook, which also hopefully means new seeds and plants to farm. My carrot patch made me happy for a while, but I'm ready for more options.​

Update 2: Cult of the Wolf​

This is the most intriguingly named update, but Iron Gate unfortunately didn't give us a whole lot more to go on.​
Cult of the Wolf, said Törnqvist, "will be an update that focuses on exploration and combat with hopefully some some new fun and different encounters for the players."​
Since wolves frequent the Mountain biome, I'm guessing this update will focus on that area, but we still don't really know.​

Update 3: Ships and the Sea​

Ships and the Sea "will bring in some ship customization and try to flesh out the ocean biome a bit more," said Törnqvist. "Since it's not not as populated, I guess you could say, as the rest of the land biomes, so we want some more stuff to do out in the ocean."​
Not a huge surprise based on the name, but more encounters in the sea would be welcome, and so would more ship customization. Particularly since the Viking longship originally appeared to be decorated with colorful shields, and that doesn't currently seem to be an option.​

Update 4: Mistlands​

Mistlands will add an entirely new biome to Valheim. "So it will be new enemies, new items, a new boss, new resources, everything, and that's what we have planned for this year. So yeah, that's quite quite a big task, but we will accept the challenge, so to speak," said Törnqvist.​
Speaking of bosses, Törnqvist also confirmed that each new biome added to the game will contain its own boss. And if that's not enough, some new lesser bosses might make an appearance at some point, too.​
"In the finished version of the game, there will be nine biomes with nine bosses. And then we're also exploring adding mini-bosses and stuff like that," he said. "So yeah, there will be more bosses coming."​

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty crazy that it is/was a 5 person development team. Not sure if that has expanded at all with the money they have made.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Minibosses sounds awesome. Maybe some more dungeon types. I'm ready to chase some rare loot as well.

• 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
One room cave in? I don't remember seeing any crypts with just 1 room. There was no sludge in the way that you could use the pick on?

I also found tin was plentiful on the shores of the dark forests of my starting island, and didn't spend close the amount of time on it as I did on copper.
Me and Bandwagon Bandwagon were pretty struck by how crappy it was when we found the first one. It was an entrance with a dead end straight ahead and another to the right, the left lead into the room where stairs go up to a dead end. I think we triple checked that place because it really just didn't seem right that there was 0 iron in that crypt after we'd pulled close to 100 out of each of the previous 2. That was in our first grouping of 4 crypts then I found the other ones running deeper into the swamp solo and they were pretty much the same story. Multiple dead ends at entrance then 1 room with no other ways out.

I had one crypt that seemed like a dud but there was one muddy scrap pile that just kept leading on to more and more to the point where I went through 2 picks and there was still more to mine. My luck seems like it's completely feast or famine on crypts

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity