Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Xerge

<Donor>
Oh fukc yeah, got plenty of hours out of the game. I'm just not a creative builder -- other players in my community are however. I'm just sayin' the hype is under inflated. A hardcore group clearing end game content on the regular will plow through this.

It is just so fucking cheap you could drink an 8 pack and buy Valheim, and get a good time out of this game.

Except building freedom, the game doesn't solve meta issues of survival games imo.

*Dead player built towns/cities
*Meaningful endgame
*player time sinks
*Does NOT support player mods

Their road map doesn't actually solve any of the above. Where's the hype? lol.

Last edited:

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think the $20 cost for this game is where the success came from. If this was $40 dollars I bet they would've made less than half the money. The low cost to entry definitely got a lot of people in, especially non survival players.

The building is basic and in my experience is actually kind of a funny combination of EQ Landmark and Fortnite. It's pretty basic with preset items and snapping features, but lacks the smoothing or reduction of materials to the Nth degree like you could with Landmark.

What amazes me more than ANYTHING about reviews of this game is that it has some of the worst graphics with some of the best scenery. Everything is made with like the least amount of pixels available but at a distance the landscapes are some of the most beautiful I've seen. Mostly because the game is rounding off the edges and not trying to render every single tree/rock/person within your character view for 1000 feet. Usually people start this game, hit some rocks, and then go "graphics were so bad I couldn't play!!!" But with this game some of those same people are loving it. It's really interesting. It really has got some 'spirit' or something that just sucks people in and that's pretty cool. Maybe it's the Karmic Yang to Cyberpunk release's Yin.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xerge

<Donor>
Personally speaking id buy a lot more games if they were 20$ a pop. I'm sure everyone would. TomServo TomServo can picard me if you like but I speak the truth.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
but lacks the smoothing or reduction of materials to the Nth degree like you could with Landmark.

No offense, but this is probably the least relatable thing ever posted on this board. At this point I'm amazed I even know what you are talking about.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
No offense, but this is probably the least relatable thing ever posted on this board. At this point I'm amazed I even know what you are talking about.
I forgot this Everquest-originated forum is mostly a buncha boomer fucks complaining about ____________ or whatever and not actual current or former Everquest players.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xerge

<Donor>
nooooo offence, but you're just not getting it. Maybe take a step back, i'm familiar with you. Lurking here after all these years since early EQ.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I forgot this Everquest-originated forum is mostly a buncha boomer fucks complaining about ____________ or whatever and not actual current or former Everquest players.

Dunno what you are getting at chief. I played EQ from beta, until the release of WoW, but I have, at most, looked at 10 screenshots of Landmark.

Xevy

Log Wizard
EQ Landmark was the testing for EQ:Next and if people weren't excited enough to try and get in on that I don't know what to say. I think I paid $40 maybe for it and ironically it had some really good systems like grappling and climbing and crafting, but it was basically in no way EverQuest.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Untitled.png

pic1.png

Best offense is a good defense. Took me all damn day.

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 7 users

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
How do you know the next crypt you'll be raiding is going to be shit? Because you got 132 iron scraps in the previous one and you can't get that lucky twice in a row.

Edit: Replying to Xerge saying how the game is bad. I disagree. The game is mediocre. It's nothing special. But..
..it's refreshing thing that costs 16.8eur. You've got a bunch of mediocre or way worse games out there for way more money and most of them are single player. You can play this with friends. You can play it solo if you want as well. You don't have to be a mega builder, you can have a small, yet functional base or three and that's it. You can explore it all or just cheese all the bosses as fast as you can for the least amount of effort and you'll STILL be more satisfied with the game than you will with the aforementioned crap for twice/thrice the money.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I have played the content that exists to the end with 2 others. Game was fantastic, and if the developers said they were retiring in 2 months, I actually would be totally cool with the price of entry for the social experience with my friends.

We each tolerated certain systems in the game better/worse and that really let me see something I would not do solo.

If there is 9 biomes by the end, I am excited to play the finished game through one more time. That's fucking amazing. I know people might want a game they can play constantly forever. But that shit just won't exist, there is no system gamers can't break.

The seed of the map currently can change total gameplay time massively. Our first world corrupted, but it was literally islands everywhere all directions. Constant ocean. The second world - we had a mega continent with a huge mountain spanning the center. The second played much faster.

The other thing that excites me is that the biomes seem to radiate out from the center, which means exploration should continue to gain prominence all the way to the 9th. A world with multiple fully functioning bases feels and makes sense. The first 5 alone seemed to massively reduce the quantity of exploring needed, and making more than one fully complete town is almost useless given the total size of the map needed. The later biomes should push play to the edges of the map. Combined with an option to generate only 1 location of each boss, the world is big.

Fishing needs to be improved and I hope it can be done off the boat eventually. I fucking love stupid virtual fishing, but this was not satisfying enough yet.

The combat is enough to be interesting, even if its not the most complicated. I prefer this - its what I loved about EQ raiding or Classic Wow - Its a perk to play with friends who aren't autistic level gamers, as well as those who are. And both get the experience of being there for the same storyline stupid deaths and dragon attacks. My friend drowning at the edge of the boat on a sea serpent harpoon attack in a giant fucking storm unable to get back in the boat is a great story.

I'm not a builder, but building a functional base with organized mats, space for everything was motivation for me to build more than I have ever built in any 3d world game. Fucking I hate building generally. But I did and do enjoy it here within a certain scope and goal.

• 2Like

Xerge

<Donor>
I'm not saying the game is bad, there's a middle ground tbh. The real bonus is it's price point which you've pointed out. The game is meh at best but amazing for the price point. I'm not hating on it but the over all hype will die down -- there's no end game. Beat bosses, done.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Dislike

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why does it need to go somewhere? Especially with the size of the team working on it. I have 96 hours so far. I still have 4th boss, plains and 5th boss to do. We just didn't rush through progression asap playing 12 hours a day. Not to mention people playing on local hosted servers by themselves or with others probably cheated their ass off(through straight console commands or abusing other seeds to mine then going back to their own).Speeding up their completion by quite a bit.

20 bucks for 96 hours so far(and maybe 2 hours of that is afk, as I logout instead to not have my base attacked while doing other things). That is amazing. I will probably end up with 120ish hours before I beat the game. For a game with basically 5 bosses, 5 biomes and building that is very good. Most probably wont come back for future biomes but the game was a success. It was fun, it was cheap. It provided a lot of hours of entertainment. They could fold tomorrow and that wouldn't take away from it being a success and good game, not to mention a huge profit.

Saying "Every other game does it better" for something literally just released in EA verses things that have been out for years or months is asinine. Sounds like the moron that complained it had less to do then Ark and its 10 DLCs.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I've been having a shitload of fun just building, and seeing how far I can take the building system. Couldn't play a couple days, but got started last night. Seed has been really nice so far, building first base right next to a mini black forest biome with a stone tower, there's another large forest area to the NE, and another SW, all on the coast. Even a mountain biome, all on starter island, and I've barely explored.

I've deliberately not killed first boss so I can keep annoyances to a minimum while I work. Can get a lot done with the basic materials, wood is plentiful.

Here's my starter home:
Starterhome1.jpg

Having a lot of fun, and I'm just dicking around with basic materials. Should probably actually progress now though, rest of you look like you having epic fun.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think what the success of Valheim proves is that the people who said a modern day EQ would flop were completely wrong.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
but the over all hype will die down

Beat bosses, done.

You know this is true for pretty much every "Great game" ever? Oh, the hype will die down? it will become less interesting over time? once all the objectives are accomplished the game is mostly over?

What are you even bitching about? That you don't think the game will last 1,000 years?
tenor.gif

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users